Suggestions for Mac Monitors over 60Hz

Good Day

I would love to get others suggestions for those that are running Wow with a Monitor over 60Hz, and which way you are connecting to get that in MacOS.

I currently have a M1 Studio, and likely will go to the M3 studio this year.

Currently I am using HDMI on my M2 Mac Pro. (I have done Displayport as well but have my WinPC connected to the monitors via Displayport so I can switch easily).

1440p 144hz

Which monitors are you using?

I recently got an LG 27" Ultra Gear 4k 144Hz Link
I use a USB-C to Display Port cable Link to connect to my M1 Mini

I absolutely love this monitor. FYI, I use the adaptive refresh feature and get much better performance than my previous monitor.

I have an M1 Mac Studio and use an LG C3 4k OLED in 55", it runs at 120hz and works well.

I use USB-C alt mode (which uses DP 1.4 protocol) on my macbook pro. But i do have to note a caveat.

There seems to be some kind of bug with the USB controller on M3 only. I had same setup on M1 Max and no issues, but on M3 if ANY monitor is connected that’s using USB C alt mode during startup, it triggers a kernel panic and immediate reboot in the USB/thunderbolt controller. I have to unplug my monitors when i reboot for any reason, wait for boot to finish. Once I reach desktop them reconnect them.

I filed a bug with apple about it hoping they can fix it via software but they haven’t even read report yet despite how thorough report is and how easily reproducable it is.

But Yeah if you are on M3 hardware, just be aware of this bug. I’m not sure if USB C to displayport cables trigger or not. I’d imagine if they did I’d see more reports of it so I doubt it. It’s probably very specific to USB C alt mode cause this mode passes on both display port 1.4 AND USB connections across alt mode, and that’s mode that i think triggers panic if it’s active at startup.

1 Like

Was considering a 42 inch version of this, but just don’t have the money for it

Good to know, as I am planning to get the M3 Studio later when it comes out