(Suggestion): Resolving the Naming Issue

“The Players seem to disagree with that. But this is just a discussion. I agree that is has worked, and is still working, but others see a problem.”

“Like I said… They can’t please ALL the people ALL the time.”

No, a tiny number of people who insist on calling their character Cocoa or Bobafett disagree with it.

“More than post here. This is just a drop in the bucket, compared to ALL the Players. I have heard many complaints.”

They’ve released names at least twice in BFA.

1 Like

it’s actually fine the way it is. pick a different name.

I don’t have any objection to last names, but being so rigid you HAVE to have a specific name is a little silly.

2 Likes

Absolutely not.

4 Likes

Allow surnames and an option to hide the surname but is seen when targeted
That way you can have hundreds of John, more people are happy. But hey this would make sense so don t expect it.

1 Like

TBH that was experience in SWTOR was awful

Sharing a surname with 8 characters across 2 factions made absolutely no sense.

At least LOTRO just lets you pick one per character when you hit level 15. ESO just lets you put spaces in your name (which is really helpful for some races). So does FF14.

Surely wow’s database wouldn’t break if they had a max of 12 characters plus 1 space plus 12 characters, right? (Or maybe just limit to 20 characters total first and last name)

eta: people sure are hostile to the very IDEA of allowing people more options for names, huh.

1 Like

Some people are hostile about literally any suggestion that goes against the grain, or makes any sort of change. Just like irl when a workplace changes a rule, you typically get backlash for a little bit and then everyone forgets because it doesn’t effect them.

For me I’m against freeing names for paid accounts, especially in a 3 month time period. Thats ridiculous to suggest, and I’m paying a monthly fee to keep those names.

However, shortening the time to every other expansion, every expansion, whatever for inactive accounts (aka gone for all of BfA, shadowlands ends, then name gets released.) or something along those lines would be perfectly reasonable.

I’m also against freeing names that quickly, though I’d be okay with that level of names being released.

I think that just allowing spaces and apostrophes would solve a good number of the problems with names.

No, to literally any of this.

If I had an active subscription and I decide I don’t feel like playing a character, I should not be at risk of losing that character name at all.

Inactive? Maybe, but I’d still like at least an expansion and a half length minimum, meaning 2.5 years. I’ve got a friend who is considering coming back in Shadowlands. Under your system, she would lose all her character names, and that would suck all the fun out of her coming back.

3 Likes

Removing people’s names is a big no no. I have a lot of characters. I don’t play them all constantly. If people who have no imagination get to steal my name I’d be pretty unhappy.

How about get creative instead of wanting a name that’s really common? Stop choosing names from popular media.

There are 2 Cruelzebub’s. Both are mine. It’s not a really common media name, so nobody on any other server has taken them, which actually wouldn’t bother me a bit. When I first chose this name on this character, my boyfriend asked me why I would take such a common name. But it’s not.

Get creative. Stop copy-catting. The only problem is that people who have no creativity want to steal names from active players.

3 Likes

As said before, just give us sur/last names.
And on top do a server crunch. Just merge many dead servers into a couple of single servers, add last names so the players don’t lose their names due to server merges. That way we can have big servers with lots of players and none of this “Colmannid-EmeraldDream” crap when talking to people on a server you’re merged with.

1 Like

I have a undead warrior on Wyrmst named cheese, I created him in WOD. And to this day IDK WHY nobody took that name lol!

Is there anyone else on wyrmst?

All I get from this is…

“I want a name that is taken, so I’m going to stamp my feet until everyone else is punished for it, so I get my way and my name!”.

That seems selfish to me.

I for one do not want first/second names, at all.

We have titles, We’d then Have NameA NameB, Title that can be so long given some titles it may not even fit into the engine’s string limits of name plates and may well cause game crashes, and errors in the code base, all those strings also take up memory, RAM, storage space and whatnot that everyone fails to consider.

We’d also have a massive burden on support because everyone and their alt would pick horrendously offensive names, like they do now, but in duplicate.

Players as we’re all well aware can’t be trusted to make the decisions of a development team that governs their world, with their rules, their limits and their repercussions.

A world that must be accessible to all types of people, from all kinds of nations, each with their own different takes on what a name might be, or mean.

If someone has an active account, meaning they expended money to activate it, or a token that someone else spent money on to activate it, and they got the name first and said account is still in good standing and being maintained…

Bad luck.

Pick another.

Not the end of the world.

You’re no more or less entitled to the name than they are, or where when they made it for as long as they are paying for it.

I’m totally for Blizzard freeing names on inactive accounts, but that’s it.

3 Likes

Yeah I think 99% of players would agree that names from an active account should never be released, even if a toon is never played. I’m guessing most would also feel that 2 expansions is way too long for inactive names to be held.

2 Likes

Whatchoo talkin’ bout?

I just hate it when people steal my name. It’s mine. I created it. It’s been stolen many times. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (or half a dozen, as it seems)

I’ve wanted last names since vanilla, so I’d definitely be happy if we were to get them. I can see potential issues with auto-fill and some addons, but nothing that couldn’t be easily circumvented by…actually paying attention to who you’re sending mail to, or a couple extra lines of code.

That being said, I’d make them optional for players.

2 Likes

I think a longer number of characters allowed for a name coupled with allowing a space, a hyphen, or apostrophe or maybe a combination.
Spaces would allow for a surname as you said, plus the larger number of allowed characters makes that easier.
There’s a ton of apostrophes used in names in game already for npcs, so we should have access to that.
Hyphens would be another good option similar to an apostrophe.

I’ve got a troll name I’d love to use an apostrophe in.

Exactly.

1 Like