(Suggestion): Resolving the Naming Issue

(Statement): World of Warcraft is now approaching nearly two decades of life, with over 10,000,000 players at it’s peak, and many times that number of player characters. For a game that has a population this size, that means there is a serious scarcity of names for new characters. The current system to release names is inadequate, and needs to be removed or altered. Releasing names after an account has gone two expansions (4-5 years) without activity is absurd. All someone has to do is get on for one day in 4-5 years and the name timer is reset!

(Theoretical): Imagine that you’re going to make an Orc, and you want a traditional Orc sounding name. Maybe Grok? Let’s go with Grok. You make your character and- name taken. You look at the armory. Seems there’s a 120 Orc Warrior named Grok. Good for him! Blizzard suggests using special characters. Okay, let’s try Gròk. Hrmn… nope, a 120 Orc Shaman has that. Grók? Taken by a… Dwarf Hunter? Well, maybe that does sound a bit dwarvish… Grôk. WHY ON EARTH IS THERE A BLOOD ELF PALADIN WITH THAT NAME?! Grõk. A level 20 Vulpera?! Grök. Doesn’t even show up on the armory! What is this? A level 1 alt? And now I’m out of various alt codes to even make an ‘o!’

(Statement): This game is simply too old to support the current method of releasing names.

(Commentary): There are two methods I’d like to present by which we can go about resolving the issue of name scarcity. The first (and my personal preference) is to allow players to choose a second name/surname for their character at character creation. The second, is to harshly curtail the windows of time before the name of a character is no longer secure.

(Hypothetical): The surname/second name option is in my opinion the superior option. Let’s assume you’re making a Worgen, and want a traditional sounding name, like Thomas. Well, good luck getting that with our current system. But, you could be Thomas Ravencroft. That name’s taken? How about Thomas Blackwood. Thomas Thornfield. Thomas Emberstone. Thomas Amberlight. Suddenly getting that name of Thomas is infinitely easier!

(Commentary): The second method I’d like to present is drastic changes to our existing system to free up names sooner. My personal suggestion is below, and revolves around two factors; an active or inactive subscription, and character level. Also, keep in mind that under this system, logging into the specific character at least once will reset the timer until the name is released. This not only assures activity, but also if someone else wants the name that the person holding it can be mailed a request to discuss it’s release.

Active Subscription:

• Character at Max level: 3 Months before the name is free.
  • Character at previous expansion’s Max level: 1 Month before the name is free.
  • Character below previous expansion’s Max level, down to level 10: 1 Week before the name is free.
  • Character at level 10 or lower: 1 Day before the name is free.

Inactive Subscription:

• Character at Max level: 3 Months before the name is free.
  • Character at previous expansion’s Max level: 1 week before the name is free.
  • Characters below the previous expansion’s Max level: 1 Day before the name is free.

(Commentary): These are my thoughts on the matter. Obviously, I prefer the second name, as it opens up infinitely more names and should ensure that the problem of name scarcity is resolved for the remainder of World of Warcraft’s life span. If, however, something with the code absolutely makes this impossible, then it’s high time names were released sooner than 4-5 years, assuming someone holding a name doesn’t log in during that time window at least once.

12 Likes

The only naming issues I ever see are those people who choose to violate the RP naming policies. There is this one specific person on my server who’s name is ONE OF THE EXAMPLES and yet Blizz still won’t do anything about it.

As for names being released, meh.

5 Likes

My suggestion is similar to your first one.

Allow a space and/or an apostrophe. You cannot have a space and a ’ next to each other nor can you have more than one of each.

That lets people make names with surnames, or names without but that still sound close to their race (Trolls come to mind)

5 Likes

Uhhhh… What

4 Likes

i just want them to do a free name change day.

1 Like

(Statement): The error has been resolved, thank you.

This is a fallacy. All it takes is an idea, a little creativity and some experimentation.

Pretty simple issue to resolve.

Quit being so entitled and choose a different name.

11 Likes

Yes!! Blizzard definitely needs to allow us to have two first names, or even just a surname. PLEASE Blizzard, I want a lot of names, and this would help RPers a lot or newcoming RPers without having to download Total RP or other addons.

If we can fit “Mean, Smelly, Angry, Stabby, Very Bad Townlong Yak” into an NPC, I think a first name and surname would fit for everyone.

2 Likes

SWTOR does surnames for account-wide customization.s. Maybe WoW will do the same for your reason. I’d be fo it.

2 Likes

If I don’t log into all my alts every 3 months I lose their names? Fat chance! As long as I stay subbed my names are safe.

20 Likes

I agree. However good names are still out there. I created this guy 2 days ago.

Character names are very important to me. In fact, I picked this server because I was able to make sever characters with good names

1 Like

Yeah, how about no.

I don’t necessarily log into my characters every single day. I don’t want to be forced to log in every character every day just to hang onto a name.

This is fine for accounts that have been inactive for, say, a year, but not for active accounts.

What chu talking bout, Willis?

4 Likes

Whatchu talkin bout?

4 Likes

(Query): Who said every day?

(Commentary): Once every 3 months for a max level character, once a month for level 50+, once a week for 10+, and once a day for level 1.

You did, right here.

I took that name fair and square. If my account is active, you can’t have it. Sorry.

11 Likes

(Commentary): A very selfish attitude to have. If you’re not using the name, give it up to someone else who does want to use it.

1 Like

Not even close.

I wanted that name for a reason. Just because I don’t level it immediately doesn’t mean I won’t in the future. I had an idea in mind, I might be busy with other things.

8 Likes

It’s selfish of you to think just because someone isn’t active in the last 3 months that they should give their name to you.

Get over yourself dude.

15 Likes

(Commentary): Then if you feel so strongly about it, it shouldn’t be a problem to log in and out on it once a day, or to get it to level 10 so it’s a week instead. That’d only take… maybe an hour, two tops.

Just stop. If my account is active, I’m keeping the name.

Save that nonsense for inactive accounts. That’s where the real problem lies anyway.

8 Likes