(Suggestion): Resolving the Naming Issue

Yeah, I thought they should have done a system where you’re allowed 3 naming blanks with an option to tick a box to display the one you want at the time but it’d have your legacy name on the end which had to be unique, more or less your account name.
Have a first and last name and a “nick” name which could be a trooper handle or a sith name or middle name, whatever. Level up as a regular named person, untick those names when you become a sith lord and tick your sith name. Would have been cool.

Third option: allow hyphens, apostrophes and one space in names. Forcing surnames is bad, because all does is allow a space. We need hyphens and apostrophes as an option, because not all races have surnames.

2 Likes

This should just be a thing.

Surnames is still a good idea and doesn’t get in the way of this.

1 Like

It does, because it forces people to have something that no all races have. A space can be used for a surname.

Do both and make it optional for the Surname part.

Together the available names would be near infinite.

1 Like

This weekend is the 11th Annual Running of the Gnomes.

Some people have been running that event for 11 years, with a toon that they only play for that one day of the year.

I don’t see why they should lose the name of the toon they use for this event.

The toon I first ran this event with was given a Welsh name in honour of my Welsh grandmother, who died of cancer. I’d hate if she lost the name, it has sentimental value to me.

1 Like

I’d be fine with that, but to me, the importance of hyphens, apostrophes and a space is greater. Blizzard isn’t known for allowing so many options. And one surname is less options than a space (which can serve as a surname), hyphens and apostrophes.

2 Likes

I think both should be done.

I have a surname or something similar for basically all my toons. It’d be nice to finally apply them.

Also several of my toons are supposed to have hyphens or apostrophes…

Again, I think both would be great, too.

I’m just saying that Blizzard isn’t good with options. And if they only implemented one, the hyphens, apostrophes and space (which can be used for a surname) has greater flexibility and options over just a surname.

I’m still gonna push for both.

Not gonna curtail my options just cause blizzard takes their time updating to be on par.

I didn’t say you shouldn’t. LOL Im just saying if they came to us and said “you get one or the other, not both,” I’d go for hyphens, apostrophes and spaces over just a surname. Because I can create a surname with the space option. And I can use hyphens and apostrophes, too, like so many NPC names.

Didn’t mean that you did.

I feel that hyphens, apostrophes, spaces will just detract from the uniqueness of our names. I feel like it can get stupid, using my name as an example.
m a d d o f
mad dof
mad-dof
Things of this nature seem dumb to me.

I feel like having character names that’re no better than thirty year old AOL handles detracts from their uniqueness, as well.

WoW is the only MMO I can even think of that has such banal naming restrictions - allowing people to create something more resembling an actual name would not reduce the uniqueness of said names.

Hell, there’s a ton of NPCs in the game who have names players can barely even approximate.

I simply don’t understand why people are so resistant to spaces/surnames et al. WoW stands as one of the only examples of this - it’s not a positive, and it is extremely restrictive, no matter how creative you might be. Being able to creatively get around it doesn’t make it a good thing.

People will make creative names whether or not there’s an arbitrary restriction on what they can be - the only difference is that it’ll be less frustrating.

I got this name on Moon Guard three months ago, and it’s my real name. Yeah luck is a big part of it, but so is perseverance. I have a list of about 300 names that I really like, and once I week I just go through it. It’s like a mini game for me.

Other recent ones I’ve gotten: Bastian, Aydin, Silvester, Carlo, Killer, Markus, and tons more. I don’t reserve them though. Well I’m saving Killer for my friend (not my cup of tea) but otherwise I let them go. Someone just nabbed Carlo recently, as a matter of fact.

More on topic though, I agree about last names. Other games do this and it works really well.

This would upset a lot of players and likely cost Blizzard money. Losing a name you had when you come back to attempt to play would be far worse than a new player not being able to get a name they want. I am all for maybe making it be a year or so with inactivity but people do not play for a week or more at a time sometimes. Your method is far too aggressive

1 Like

(Query) Why are you posting like an Elcor from Mass Effect? Is that some diapergnome thing?

On topic - there are… SO MANY unclaimed names on each server, various languages and meaningful words you can use, long before you need to turn to special characters and the like. If all else fails, use the random generator (it’s weighted towards providing race-fitting suggestions), and then change a few letters, voila.

1 Like

When I said I wanted a last/surname I was pretty much advocating for allowing spaces in names. ^^’
I wasn’t asking for like, a separate box for them, just for the name box we have to allow more letters to make it work. And yes, that includes special characters like hyphens too. There’s a whole lot of really good names I can’t use in the game itself due to these restrictions that generators never seem to account for/remember exist.

1 Like

Last names would be pretty cool.

They could make it a big thing.

Offer two boxes, one for a first name and one for a last name. Everybody gets to make new names when the thing goes into effect. It would be great.

The fear in the back of my mind is, maybe they think this game is declining, so… cool improvements like this… they just don’t even consider.

TOO COMPLICATED!