Stuck cursor for "cannon" quests?

Hi all! I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I’m a returning player with a new laptop, and I’m noticing I can’t complete certain quests that require you to use and fire a cannon of some sort. Like the quest in Thunder Totem, shooting down the harpies, or Greymane’s Gambit on the Alliance ship, shooting down foresaken bats. I play with a trackpad, not a mouse, and with my old laptop, two fingers held on the pad would move the target pointer on a cannon, but it doesn’t seem to be working now. I can use the arrow keys (or A and D) to move left and right, but not up and down. I spent fifteen minutes on Greymane’s Gambit, trying to shoot bats, and got to 28/30 before I had to just abandon the quest because nearly all the bats were overhead, and none of their flight patterns would come down low enough into range anymore.

I’m not sure if this is a game issue, as I’ve been away for a few years, or if this is something with my new laptop, some setting I’m missing. Any help you could give would be appreciated!

1 Like

I feel your pain!! I played with laptop and trackpad (even with my desktop) for almost 2 years without figuring out how to do this and would get SO frustrated with these quests! I would have to party with someone who could complete the objectives for me via them shooting things down, etc, or hope that enough things ran in front of my stationary cursor. I couldn’t do the typical “right click” via touchpad to make this thing move (I don’t have a dedicated right click button on the touch pad), and most of the time the arrow keys didn’t do much.

Eventually, I encountered a post online where someone explained what to do. I’m on a Mac, so I can’t give you specific advice for PC, but basically what I had to do was activate the right click via the keyboard button that correlates to it, and click on the touchpad to move the aimer around at the same time. I found a link, and maybe it will help give you some options to play around and see if it works for you. I have not tried mouse keys, just the keyboard right click shortcut, personally. Good luck!

This is moreso a game limitation, I think, as the tech specs say it requires a mouse, but the trackpad was always helpful for reducing repetitive stress injuries. I can use a mouse a bit more often now, but it’s nice to have both options. Also, it’s helpful for playing on my laptop on the couch :slight_smile:

Edit: I’ll add that this is still not the most ideal and comfortable method to use, but thankfully these quests don’t occur too often and this gets to completing them instead of not!

Thank you SO much, I had no idea this was possible! I spent some time rooting around and got my mouse-key settings turned on, and that was great. It actually works to move my mouse around, and to click and right-click, but sadly I wasn’t able to get it to work with cannon aiming, even while holding the click shortcut and using my track pad. So sad!

I’ve also noticed this is affecting my swimming. If I hit the water at a bad angle, my forward motion makes me swim down at an odd angle, and without the mouse click, I can’t reorient myself to swim in the right direction. So it’s a matter of rising to the top of the water, and jumping forward out of the water in small increments until I reach the shore. Very time consuming!

I suppose I’ll have to try an actual mouse, and see if that helps fix the issue!

~ Genesen

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m sorry it didn’t work for you. Did you make sure you were also pressing the touchpad down as if left-clicking while also moving around (same movement as if you are highlighting some text), vs just lightly moving your finger across the surface? I haven’t done this in awhile so I’m trying to remember exactly what I did.

I have the same annoying issue with swimming and flying and even though I have a fix for it, I still get annoyed when it happens. There is a movement keybinding, I think it may be called pitch up and pitch down. These will allow you to adjust up and down in the direction you are swimming or flying. If you hold it long enough you do somersaults while flying lol. I think I changed mine to just be SHIFT+ whatever current keys I already use for UP and DOWN so it’s easier to remember for me, but you can use whatever is easiest for you.

I did try that, yes, sadly I couldn’t get it to work, no matter which combinations of keys and track pad I used.

However, I went into my keybindings to find out where my pitch keys were, like you suggested, and found them. They work BEAUTIFULLY. They allow me to fix the angle issue while underwater, and even worked perfectly for cannon shooting. Now I can finally pass Greymane’s Gambit and get into Stormheim, and I no longer have to be afraid of water! xD

Thank you so much for sticking with me! Your help has been invaluable! <3

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m so glad that solution helped both issues! Happy questing (and aiming) to you. :slight_smile: /cheer