Stronger Guards

What are the chances we can get stronger guards?

I’ve been jumping between a bunch of different low level characters lately and find that there is pretty much always one or more lvl 120 Horde char’s just running around the quest hubs like a freight train killing all the lowbies they can find without anything preventing this from happening. The guards don’t seem to deal any damage and they die in half a second should the max char choose to kill them.

I have to assume horde go through something similar.

2 Likes

We use to have /worlddefense and there were a lot of us that trolled it, but once they broke it kind killed lowbie defense.

On the subject of guards, they tried having real strong guards in cata and more people complained about that than getting ganked, so they reverted.

So long as it’s allowed there will always be bullies running amok no matter the faction. players that leave the current expansion should be scaled down to the area level.

that way, they can get their sorry A##es handed to them by level 5s…the same way they get treated at max level.

2 Likes

That would defeat the whole purpose of the game, in that it’s progression based.

Would be no different than cod…

In response to stronger guards they are working as intended. They root and are a nuisance…

6 Likes

Where is it stated that the purpose of the game is to allow max level players to kick over brand new level 10s? Never mind guards these sort of players need dealt with. There are plenty of places where there are no guards.

That has been around since day one. Blizz addressed the concerns of those that didn’t like getting killed by max levels by adding war mode…

Just an FYI a level 10 can’t be killed by another player…

4 Likes

Oh good lord, what is the break? 11…15? Stop with the pedantic nonsense. People like you are bullies, you deserve a kicking, end of story.

Level 20, that’s when you can elect to be “bullied”…

I turn on wm at level 20 and don’t look back. I know how to deal with max levels, and not complain about it.

4 Likes

Being honest, the guards this expansion are weaker than ever before, even without war mode enabled.

I do think there is a fine balance between having overwhelming and wet noodle guards. Right now, guards are wet noodles. I have seen people take on the entirety of Rustbolt with 15+ elite guards on them with no movement in their health. That is a neutral zone in “current” content.

Guards in low level towns have no chance - they spawn with something like 33k health. That is 1 or 2 hits; they are not a deterrent nor are they an annoyance.

Then you dont fight in enough 120 zones

3 Likes

Did the OP not reference low level towns?

I don’t care about what op said, I was quoting you

That’s encompasses all

OK, I’ll quote myself to help you out.

Those elite guards you watched tanks take 15. Cause I as a really geared ww can barely do 3.

I think low level areas should have stronger guards, while max level/current expac areas should have weak ones. We just need worlddefense back, you used to just randomly fly around places and run into “______ is under attack!” and go there to fight off gankers. Nowadays you need someone to say something in general to know whats happening.

4 Likes

Seems like you are being argumentative for no real reason, then. Should a tank be able to take on 15 elite guards in a neutral hub? I don’t think so. Should a DPS player be able to take on 3 elite guards? Again, I don’t think so, and what you’re seeing is the guards after a few buffs. I can take on the elite guards as a clothie and shrug off their damage.

Trying to do that back in the good old days in Cenarion Hold would result in a first class ticket to the graveyard.

At any rate, the thread is about people shutting down quest hubs. Those guards (and flight masters) used to at least make people think twice before running into a town and slaughtering everything, because a few guards would overwhelm you. Now you can kill an entire village, the flight masters, the players and the guards pose no threat. I think that people should be able to do that, but it should come with the price of actually pacing yourself.

No I am not. Because you said people and the average player isn’t a tank. However currently in the last patch everything has some huge power gaps and tanks have to take a lot to go down.
When those guards are scaled for people last patch they aren’t nearly as effective on current patch tanks.
However dps or healers will definitely die if they can’t get to the dungeon or get out.

That was like that for every xpac ever, minus cata for a short time guards were over the top and the Flight master could kill you. However that was nerfed very quickly, because everyone hated that.

The only thing they need to do is bring back worlddefense in some way.

…are tanks not people?

You’re not being honest, or you were rarely there in war mode, if you think people weren’t face tanking the current guards the day that patch dropped. That is why they needed to buff them, and even then it didn’t make much difference.

Didn’t you just say you could take on 3?

I can’t recall a single time where my healing priest could 2 shot a guard in a town. Their damage may not have been high, but their health was sufficient enough that they would keep you in combat and if you pulled too many they could be problematic.

Are you seriously suggesting an NPC whose purpose it is to protect should have less health than creatures like foxes and boars in random zones? Is 33k health and melee swings of 900 really doing anything?

It would take a max-level guard in a quest hub over 600 melee swings to kill my priest, assuming I just stood there and did nothing. That to me is a problem.

Starting zone guards would hit for like 80% of your hp with one arrow in cata

idk why some guards are good and some useless

1 Like