Strange lua error

in TBC classic im getting these two lua errors the first one happens when mousing over or trying to click pets in default raid frames, something to do with the default raid frames at least. the second happens randomly as far as i can tell and doesnt allow me to use the drop down menu when right clicking on player portraits or names in chat.

im not too keen on the workings of much of this so any help/advice would be appreciated.

1. raid frames/pet. i notice this one when pets die or get dismissed/summoned a lot

Message: Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:284: Usage: GameTooltip:SetUnit(“unit”[, hideStatus])
Time: Sun Jun 20 02:03:39 2021
Count: 8
Stack: Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:284: Usage: GameTooltip:SetUnit(“unit”[, hideStatus])
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua”]:36: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:34>
[string “=[C]”]: ?
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua”]:40: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:39>
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua”]:268: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:263>
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua”]:322: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:306>
[string “=(tail call)”]: ?

Locals:

1. drop down menu. cant tell what triggers this but have to reload for a temp fix.

Message: Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:1084: Action[SetPoint] failed because[SetPoint would result in anchor family connection]: attempted from: DropDownList1:SetPoint.
Time: Sun Jun 20 03:57:17 2021
Count: 1
Stack: Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:1084: Action[SetPoint] failed because[SetPoint would result in anchor family connection]: attempted from: DropDownList1:SetPoint.
[string “=[C]”]: in function SetPoint' [string "@Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua"]:1084: in function ToggleDropDownMenu’
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\TargetFrame.lua”]:98: in function handler' [string "@Interface\FrameXML\SecureTemplates.lua"]:616: in function SecureActionButton_OnClick’
[string “@Interface\FrameXML\SecureTemplates.lua”]:656: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureTemplates.lua:648>

Locals:

Run the repair tool, see if they keep happening.

1 Like

i did that before and it did nothing, something that happens in dungeons that can trigger the error. i just dont understand the error to do anything to isolate the problem and it seems to happens at random making it hard to test.

Are you using MoveAnything?

1 Like

days ago maybe a week i did when i tried using it to move the raid control tab but removed it when it didnt work. i only have Clique and bartender4 activated and the error still happens, so it might be move anything even though its gone but i wouldnt know what to do. how could it still be causing this? if move anything is the problem is there a way to revert anything it has done?

im also willing to reset everything and just set everything up again. would i just need to get rid of my wtf folder or something?

Sounds like a Blizz thing honestly. You could try installing BugGrabber and see if you can get a more verbose error trace that identifies an addon but right now it looks like a problem with Blizz addons.

You could also try deleting all the Blizzard_ addons in your Interface\Addons folder, assuming there are any. The game will automatically re-create them as needed.

You could try deleting all the layout-local.txt and layout-cache.txt files in your WTF subfolders, with the game not running, but note that doing so may reposition some elements of you UI.

Finally, it won’t stop the problems but you can hide the errors with /console scriptErrors 0

I don’t recommend reinstalling the game.

1 Like

i only have Clique and bartender4 activated

Do you mean activated or do you mean installed in your AddOns folder? If those are the only two addons you want to use, delete any others (even temporarily) before trying anything else.

It’s possible you might have a Classic-Era addon or six left over from the migration to TBC.

You could exit the game, make a copy of your WTF folder to something like WTF-Saved and rename your Interface folder (Interface-Saved), log in and let the game re-create the empty Interface\Addons folders and then download/install the latest TBC versions of your addons and see if that fixes things without losing your settings.

If that doesn’t work, you could delete the WTF folder (keeping your saved copy) and let the game recreate the defaults. If doing that still errors, you have a defective addon so delete those and re-install one or two at a time trying to narrow down the culprit.

1 Like

yeah its a deeper problem im unable to solve. the issue isnt with the error its the fact that the drop down menu doesnt show up at all, i have to reload to reset instance, invite, inspect, ect. or use /commands. the pet one can be ignored but it stacks up pets that arent there anymore sometimes in my raid frames.

the only active addons is what i mean, also others are in the addon folder. even only with those two in the addon folder after deleting wtf folder then trying a reinstall the error still happens.

im going to try no addons enabled or in the addon folder and use default only to see if it still happens after removing all addons along with wtf folder. if that doesnt work then maybe a reinstall of the game.

i am doubtful anything will work at this point though, i should just be able to reinstall and there should be no problems.

I’d be surprised if just Clique and/or Bartender were causing the problems. I differentiate between “Active Addons” and “Installed addons” because it is easy to have an addon enabled for one character and not another but not notice. Which is why I recommend deleting or moving elsewhere any addons other the Clique and BT and then re-starting the game.

1 Like

i figured the same and did that as well. the error happens always after i complete then exit mechanar and sometimes before the gauntlet. im gonna delete all addons and wtf folder and go in pure default in a moment here and if i still get the error then im actually helpless to fix this problem.

Rename the folder(s) rather than just delete.

The errors don’t point to anything specifically Blizzard related, rather something messing with unit configuration (the dropdown one sounds bizarely like something you might get from an actual (converted) vanilla version unit/raid addon).

1 Like

You might also try deleting/renaming the cache folder.

1 Like

yeah i cant say what it is, but i wish i could isolate it more easily. i cant say what addon it is but like elven said its probably the move anything addon. ill try the cache delete/rename but i did reinstall so i dont think it will do much.

the good news is i got through a run with no errors with pure default, ill introduce addons slowly and see if any problems pop up. im still doubtful this will work but i will see, i wish there was a clear answer though. i dont know how anyone understands those error messages except when it tells you what addon it is in all the code.

Addons save their setting into the WTF folder (under a defined “global” folder and/or under a defined “per character” folder).

If the addon doesn’t exist/load, it’s settings under the WTF are dormant. If the settings dont exists under the WTF, and the addon loads, it will create it’s “default” settings.

Start with adding BT and Clique and work out from there.

1 Like

its still happening, figured out master loot is causing the drop down menu error somehow. i dont know why the pet frame causes an error in the default ui raid frames. now im also getting an error that happens when i try to move the battlefield map deleting the wtf folder, deleting the cache folder, and even reinstalled the game but it still happens with no addons just pure default. i have no idea whats going on.

Believe that one’s on the known issues list.

Just sounds like Blizz problems to me. You might try installing ElvUI and see if that helps alleviate some of it.