Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Which interview?

New Death Knight Intro Experience

Coming in 8.3, set in a new sliver of time before Sylvanas breaks the Helm of Domination at the start of Shadowlands. Youā€™ll still be able to play through the old experience, but it doesnā€™t make sense for allied races who wouldnā€™t have been around at that time. It will play out similar to the current allied race intro experience, with Bolvar creating a new order of Death Knights. The allied races have some new skins (and a whole lot of additional character customization is coming in Shadowlands).

Listen to the interview instead of reading the summery, the summery makes it sound like they were talking about allied races when they mention the customization options but they werenā€™t.

It goes from the allied race DKs to the customization options for the base races. They talk about the humans, dwarves, trolls, and the possibility of blue eyed blood elves and donā€™t mention the allied races at all. Heck, they donā€™t even confirm whether or not the allied races are getting DK skins before talking about the base races.

1 Like

My expectation right now is that all races will be getting the new customization functionality (e.g. Eyes being their own category) but only the original races will get new stuff.

I wonder though what they mean by original races. Theyā€™ve talked about Blood Elves getting stuff and theyā€™re not one of the original eight races, having been added in the Burning Crusade.

So they probably mean the base or core races, i.e. not Allied Races.

2 Likes

After my Blizzcon hype has died down I have to say that I am not too impressed with Shadowlands. Which is kind of a bummer considering that(pre Blizzcon) I was looking forward to a Shadlowlands announcement.

There are no new classes or races, the two most impactful and lasting things for most players.

While the Covenant stuff and leveling changes sound good, theyā€™re sort of immaterial as far as our avatars go, and our avatars are the primary way we interface with the game.

The additional customization is taking the place of new races or classes, but we havenā€™t seen the scale of it yet. Thatā€™s going to be a huge part of how excited I am for the game.

Itā€™s a bit sad that Iā€™m not excited for the story. What weā€™ve been told is just sort of jarring and off-putting.

Honestly, the lack of a new race and/or class is a huge relief for me. I tend to stick to things I need, and even then itā€™s mostly profession alts, so not having a new race/class to feel compelled to try out while I have alts I havenā€™t touched in months is something positive for me. Though I absolutely get why people would be upset.

Maybe the death themed stuff with give Blizzard a chance to make their own Necromancer seem more viable and unique, like having a healing spec based on Ardenweald or Revendreth with a tank spec based on Bastion or Maldraxxus.

1 Like

Even with Blizzcon in the rear view mirror, Iā€™m feeling super excited. The Covenants are still my favorite part, and Iā€™m having a blast planning which alts are going to join which coven. Iā€™m even planning brand new alts with the sole purpose of being a perfect fit for the new factions! Like a Magā€™har Death Knight for the Necrolords, or a Blood Elf Priest for the Venthyr. Though I should definitely, definitely stop planning Night Fae alts, lol.

I have a feeling Covenants are going to be great for the community. All the cosmetic rewards, the different storylines, the customizable soulbind NPCsā€¦ I think people are going to get quite attached to their chosen group! My skin tingles at the thought of future Story Forum debates about them >:D

The unprune is super intriguing, too, and they even specifically confirmed Monks were getting looked at! Iā€™d love to see Tigereye Brew back at baseline for all game modes. Maybe even the old stances could make a comeback? Class design in general should be interesting to see, since Iā€™m curious what modern Blizzard will do with spells like Searing Totem, or Frostbolt on Fire Mages.

The new customization options are also looking fabulous. Especially since weā€™re basically getting Sand Trolls and Wildhammer out of it! And who knows, maybe more? Dragonmaw Orcs would be pretty tight. Plus, more diverse humans are very appreciated, and are going to look great out in the world! Canā€™t wait for Wowhead to get hold of the alpha/beta and give us tantalizing previews of what customization options are to come.

ā€¦aaand I donā€™t want to keep typing on and on, but the level squish is everything I wanted it to be, and I couldnā€™t be more pleased.

So yeah, Iā€™m hype! Iā€™m looking forward to the coming weeks/months, where all the slightly scattershot and often TBD information spread out over multiple interviews and panels crystallizes into a concrete look at all the neat new stuff thatā€™s coming. I think itā€™ll be a long while before the expansionā€™s here, but Iā€™m happy to watch warmly while it turns into something fantastic : )

8 Likes

Oh no. I was hoping I could wait a bit before I started thinking that far.

Nzoth aint even dead. Butā€¦ its never too early, I suppose.

2 Likes

Gahahaha, Iā€™m even plotting out the most story-relevant expansions for them to level in under the new squish! I should make a graph xD

2 Likes

Iā€™m so torn on it. The little scenario they used to explain Torghast and the thought of my demon hunter turning into a moth make me really want to go with Night Fae, but Venthyr is so totally my thing and Kaelā€™thas is there on top of itā€¦ ugh.

4 Likes

I need to see more armor sets: leveling, dungeon, raid. Just give me the new transmog journal.

My main - a Night Elf - is undoubtedly going to Ardenweald. My NE warrior alt might go Bastion.

3 Likes

I have not heard of any rulers trying to attend Blizzconā€¦ A shame since we have no idea how Blizzard would accommodate them! Rulers have great power so one of them present at Blizzcon would have an interesting effect!

Oh boy. The forums when that dropsā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you said when and not if. It gives me faith in the Night Elves.

People who whine about night elf fans are blessedly ignorant of High elf fans.

2 Likes

When are you not?

1 Like

I get bummed plenty of times, like anyone else. Iā€™d just rather share my excitement! We all have enough sadness on our plates, so I wanna share my joy with everyone since Iā€™ve got lots of it ^.^

Edit: Speaking of which, I did my first 3D print design recently, and today it finally arrived! I needed a replacement piece for one of my figurines. It worked! Iā€™m basically an engineer now, so hit me up if you need any goggles xD

Yeah.

My current assumption is that Blood Elves are getting new customization options and Void Elves are not.

The day that goes live, I expect a forum meltdown as blue-eyed Blood Elves post en masse.

If I were a mod, Iā€™d certainly want that day off.

That makes sense to me, though. Void elves are just an allied race instead of a core one, so why would they get extra options over the older ones?