Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Why is this so relateable :joy:

High on painkiller Ben is going to be an absolute treat I can tell.

3 Likes

I have a knee I need to treat with extra care.

Slammed a snowhook into it running the Junior iditarod as a teen and was teenage dumb enough to finish the race (though at least I was smart enough to swap to the zip up overalls so I didn’t lose a pair of snowpants cutting them off). Finished with a knee like a balloon and walked with a cane for a week, and ever since, Ol’ Lefty is NOT the most cheerful of campers. Especially if it’s raining or if I have to sit with it bent for too long.

Anyway, if you can get ahold of it, devil’s club salve is great for dicey muscles and joints and relieving inflammation. Arnica is pretty decent if you don’t have the good stuff, and almost universally available.

6 Likes

Googled what a snow hook is and youch. This isnt too bad. When my grandma passed I kept the cane and wheel walker for just such an occasion.

Worst by far was pinching a nerve in my neck at the gym. I’d never been athletic until somewhat recently so I didn’t know to fear something like that. Woke up with what felt like a weird headache and in the worst mistake of my life thus far tried to tough it out.

Stressed it in a McDonald’s bathroom of all places and it felt like someone was trying to tear the back of my skull down through my throat. I was in the sort of pain where I couldn’t even speak straight and after terrifying the baffled employees I abruptly cancelled all my showings and abandoned my car in the parking lot for an Uber as I couldn’t drive.

Then spent the week lying flat on my back on a wooden floor with a hole cut into a box I put over my head to watch crap on my phone. As luck would have it my mom was doing in home physical therapy for a surgery about the same time so I went over there and the doc hooked me up to some machine that shocks your muscles. I dont think I’ve ever felt such an immediate pain relief.

1 Like

I blew my back out once…

no I will not elaborate :innocent:

5 Likes

You elaborated didn’t you? Then you deleted it. :frowning:

gotta keep things mysterious lol

I was gunna suggest removing that Ren. It could have brought Doness levels of drama and punishment.

2 Likes

maybe if he cared enough to bring the drama.

Started working on my AU again

Still at an impasse regarding what to do with demons and chaos

Kinda wanna go Full Lesser Key of Solomon but maybe that’s too corny

3 Likes

Yeah, a game that glorifies torture and colonialism has a bigot problem for some reason.

4 Likes

It’s a game that was written by mostly racist and sexist dudebros, who catered to the worst parts of the WoW community. It shouldn’t be shocking that our community is toxic as it is

4 Likes

I mean pretty much all fantasy is a bit problematic. It’s not like you can address the socioeconomic problems in Skyrim that are leading people to a life of banditry. No, you just kill them all.

As you should. Because if I’m being honest I’m trying to kill people with swords and sorcerery out here. Not open Skooma rehab clinics and work as a crisis counseling cleric.

That actually sounds like it could be a fun or at least interesting game in it’s own right. But it’d be a different genre to your typical fantasy action adventure.

Undertale springs to mind. As you can have a completely non violent playthrough of that. And that’s a good game but it’s not what I’m looking for when I pick up WoW.

7 Likes

Obviously we should systematically be wary of corporate activism. What big corporations want is your money ; I think it is always more reasonable to assume that what occupies their mind when they’re doing that sort of choice is selling merchs or improving their image (which is something Blizzard desperately needs to do for reasons known to all) rather than a genuine wish to positively impact society. Let’s not turn big corps into the heroes they definitely are not.

That body type 1 and 2 is all good though. At worst it is harmless ; at best it is a good signal. LGBT+ people have always existed in the real world, and Warcraft being directly inspired by real world cultures, it’s just perfectly sensical that they should be represented.

3 Likes

Killing actively hostile bandits is nowhere near the same as trying to rip off a tribe of Centaurs and steal their oil, in 2012 during the Iraq War.

1 Like

I think what Doness is saying is, you can have all the violence and such you want in game, but it shouldn’t be glorified as a good thing.

And that’s wows problem. The mostly all white euro centric faction, i.e the Alliance is seen as the pure, wholesome good guys, while the monster faction, with a lot of African and Native American symbolism are seen as the ignorant monsters who just cant help themselves by being mass murders.

That’s the issue I think. And we all talked about this numerous times

7 Likes

Didn’t they actively try to eradicate the Tauren though? They seem pretty actively hostile to me.

Likewise I don’t bat an eye at using Blight. Does that suggest I secretly think chemical weapons are okay? No. It means I think the spooky faction using goofy green goo that drafts people into the skeleton war is fun. Because it’s pretend. Hillsbrad Farmer #364 isn’t a person. Ya can kill them by the bushel and they just keep popping back into reality through the aether. Grown and fully armed and trained soldiers spring fully formed from the womb of unit buildings. Also there’s a verifiable afterlife so it’s fine. If they ate their terminally ill husband they get to frolick forever in a sea of fire.

I’ll certainly agree WoW has a tone problem and doing ish like firebombing a population center is extraordinarily dark. And it wants to be extraordinarily dark. But that becomes a problem when you’re asked to completely depopulate ogre and murloc villages not ten minutes later without a hint of irony.

The tones the problem. Because I’m fine with just not thinking about it too hard because this is a cartoony game. But then all of a sudden it gets all maudlin about the horrors of war. But then wants me to have a fun adventure through said horrors of war.

Nothing was funnier to me than seeing that cutscene about how this brutal war of attrition is about to leave ghost towns across Elwyn. And then I’m immediately directed to go to Tirisgarde and run over these farmer conscripts with a Mag’Har warcrime hamster ball.

7 Likes

And I hear you there.

It’s actually kinda surreal how Alliance wrong doing is never addressed. Because don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed the Dwarf questing partly because they’re such unrepentant bastards.

But it remains funny to me people talk about the Sludgefields like they’re a prosecutor at the Hauge. But we’re all thumbs up for just shooting Frostmane children in the face.

And thats probably because the game yells at you in Hillsbrad for having too much fun. Drek’Thar whinges about the Forsaken which is rich coming from a guy who helped pave a road with skulls. And the shovel will silently judge you if you decide to play whackamole with the humans.

Meanwhile in Dun Morogh you do have some Dwarves who’ve a warrior to warrior respect for their foes. But taking advantage of a natural disaster to kill their leadership and displace them because they might be a problem later is seen as a perfectly reasonable way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

5 Likes

You’re playing a Death Knight and 90% of your abilities contain the words “Death”, “Blood” and “Agony”. You’re RPing the ultimate evil fantasy, slaughtering innocent civilians, so I call bs and call you a hypocrite.

Lol, I don’t take you seriously at all, dude. Take your whataboutism and shove it. Death Knights are an edgelord class, and you’re under the control of the Lich King for most of your starting zone. I never said this game should be Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Try not getting mad over the fact that the game has a lot of racist and sexist problems in it. And that certain actions are indeed glorified, when they really shouldn’t be.

2 Likes