Story Contest- Your Own Death

Sorry, got wrapped up in a few things OOCly and lost track of where my head was for the mostpart aside from when friends were draggjng me away for stuff.- ANY CASE, uh. Got you on Bnet, let me slap my votes your way, Borg. Apologies again!

2 Likes

(Know the deadline has passed, but wanted to take the opportunity as a good writing exercise. Ain’t sure if it’s any good, but loved the concept! So wanted to give this a shot, the ideal death, if you will!)

To be a fighter, you have to wear your cockiness for all to see. Gotta have the stride, the attitude, and the aggression to shove at anyone contesting you. May rub people the wrong way, but big weapons should be a way to say that you aren’t in this fighting business to make friends.

Golldie Axegleam kneels in the middle of a warzone, within the snowy mountaintops of Drustvar. A number of slash wounds line her arms and face, with a pair of arrows piercing deep inside of her: One in her exposed collar, another in the side of her right leg, going through her hamstring.

Looking up, with her vision blurred, she sees the images of a variety of Alliance troops. A vengeful Sentinel with her bow drawn. A Vindicator raising his Draenic warhammer high, the purple head stained with red and green blood. A large man, wielding two cutlasses, fresh blood dripping onto the pure white snow. All three slowly approach the felled Goblin, as if unsure if she will spring back to action, or perhaps explode, as Goblins tend to do.

In the distance, the clash of steel, magic, and machinery ring out, both Alliance and Horde fighting over a node of the planet’s blood, the winner being able to decide which new terrifying way it can be weaponized next.

Golldie coughs, digging her right greatsword in the snow to stabilize herself, the left raised and ready to swing at the trio before her. She feels the blood spilling out of her mouth, not to mention from the variety of other wounds. Despite all her efforts, she cannot stand upright to face her latest enemies.

Dyin’ like this…Ain’t exactly glamorous. All for some stupid planet blood that’s just killin’ more people for nothin’. This war even have a point?

The Goblin’s life flashes before her eyes. She goes to thinking back to how she got into fighting, upon learning that she is plenty strong to be wielding heavy weapons, and how she could profit off this, with her dream of being a pin-up for the latest edition of Oilstain Calendar.

Horde pride has never really been a big thing with her. They pay her to fight things, she may fight along other Horde, she slaughters whatever needs slaughtering, she goes home with her pay. Pretty standard Goblin fare.

This war changed many things. Even things thought unchangeable.

She witnessed the fracturing of the Horde people. Proud, strong people, sacrificed for this war without a purpose. She witnessed the Forsaken, and the people who desperately want to be accepted for who they were, as opposed to what they now are. A stark contrast to the ‘Warchief’ who tosses Blight at her enemies, allies, even her own people.

She made a variety of friends, despite her aggressive nature. Some of them are rivals, but even so, she came to respect them and would do anything to protect them. She started to see just how much this war was hurting so many, almost all of which deserved no hurting at all.

Money, fame, being a pin-up on a calendar…All of that stuff seems much less important all of a sudden. Strange how full-blown warfare can change the most aggressive of minds.

Snapping back to reality, with the trio of Alliance almost upon her, she turns her eyes to her left. There’s a small party of Goblins, four of them, likely displaced from the nearby camp. They are unarmed, pulling a sled of metal junk behind them. Possibly scavengers who have nothing to do with the war effort, just trying to survive.

There is a look of utter terror and desperation on their faces.

If I go…they’ll be next. These Alliance ain’t carin’ what kinda Horde ya are. If I’m goin’ down, 'least I can do is make sure someone else is safe, right?

The large Draenic-shaped figure in front keeps his weapon raised, followed by the portly man with the cutlasses, with the Sentinel furthest back. “Your rampage is at an end, foul creature! May the Light take you.” The bloodstained purple head of the hammer starts to glow brilliantly with holy energy.

…The heck with this war, the heck with the holier-than-thou attitudes, the heck with the pointless killin’. I’m fightin’…

“TO PROTECT THE HORDE!!!”

Golldie screams with all of her strength, stunning the trio who believed she was right at death’s door. Seizing the moment, she pivoted on her good left leg, and lifted both of her greatswords up to her torso. Screaming at the top of her lungs all the while, she performs a Bladestorm with both of her weapons extended, the keen blades slashing through the light armor of the Night Elf and burly Human, sending the two flying with grievous slash wounds with the force of the attack. The Draenei himself is unable to withstand the onslaught, and falls onto his back, his heavy armor broken within his upper legs and lower torso.

“Rrgh, cursed Goblin, you are only–”

Loud gurgling would complete the Draenei’s sentence, as Golldie pierces her greatswords through his throat, aiming for the lighter pieces of his armor. With that, his movements ended. The Goblin warrior stumbles forward, leaving her greatswords in the corpse.

She looks over her left shoulder. The Goblin group seems to be making their way to the harbor, and are on the verge of leaving the warzone.

A smile crept onto her face, despite the situation at hand. The energy from her berserker rage rapidly fades, and a feeling of emptiness surrounds her body. She can no longer move.

“Heh…Only if I brought a camera. Would’ve had plenty of…good pictures for…the next…issue…of…”

Golldie Axegleam’s body kneels, and then falls over sideways, lifeless. A gush of wind pushes light snow over the recent corpses, starting to bury them under the snow, likely never to be seen again.

As the snow drifts obscure the carnage, the sounds of the ongoing battle rage on. It’s difficult to say who currently has an advantage in the battle, let alone how long it will rage on.

4 Likes

I have everyone else’s vote now except for yours so please send it to me asap however you can, whether it is bnet or to Gavel on Alli side or however.

I need it by the end of today (Saturday) because I am announcing winners tomorrow.

1 Like

Ok well, I tried. Voting is now closed. Out of fairness to the 9 of you who submitted in time, you will be the only ones eligible for prizes, and therefore the results are as follows:

In third place- Arm!
In second place- a tie between Jande and Jiantou!
And your first place finisher- Altielle!

Altielle, you have won the WoW token and I can send it to whatever character you wish.

Jande and Jiantou, please let me know however you please which mount you would like- either a Steelbound Devourer, or your color choice of the JC panther. I was going to flip a coin, but I decided it is more fun to give out more prizes anyway.

Arm, I also decided that you get the same choice, because I checked my resources and I will still have enough to do whatever. Just let me know with whatever method you prefer, be it ingame or bnet or even here.

As for the rest of you, I want you all to know that it was a very close race between -everyone- and that every vote mattered. So each of you will receive an Enchanted Pen in honor of your magical writing skills.

I really want to thank you all for your patience and also for just contributing in general. It was absolutely my pleasure to read all of your stories, and I hope you continue to share your gifts with the forums. WrA is a great place and it is the creativity of people like you who make it special.

I would also like to extend that to the people who have submitted after the contest ended. I think it’s great that you all have shown off your work here and I hope to see others continue to do so.

7 Likes

Congrats you guys! Very well deserved!

I also loved reading everyone’s work here (including the two post-deadline stories), so definitely looking forward to more activities like this in the future!

7 Likes

Thank you so much for hosting such a fun little event, and I appreciate your patience! It was so good to write a drabble of sorts, and I’m so thankful for everyone that tossed a vote my way.

Congratulations to everyone that participated!

4 Likes

This is amazing. Great job!

5 Likes

You can go ahead and send it to Altielle, thank you very much!

I had a great time reading all of these as well as writing mine. You all did such an excellent job, I hope you all continue writing and can’t wait to read more of your works in the future!

I would definitely love to participate more of these, even if it doesn’t necessarily have prizes.

4 Likes

Thanks for hosting this little thread; I’m looking forward to more in the future. Everyone did really well so it was hard to choose.

If you have any of those blue panthers that’d be lovely.

6 Likes

Thank you Borgg for hosting this, and thank you so much to everyone who read my story and threw a vote my way. I’ve been long planning on writing a story where my two Paladins met one another on the open field so I’m thrilled not only that I got to share it, but that people read it and liked it! Means a lot.

Borgg, if its all the same to you I’d take a Steelbound Devourer. You can mail it to Arm or to Ethuil if its easier to do it Horde side, thats my Horde main.

Cheers everyone!

2 Likes

Congratulations, everyone! Thank you for sharing your work. Keep up the great writing! And thank you, Borgg, for holding the contest- it was a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Ok so I think I have this right but feel free to correct me-

Altielle can get the token sent to Altielle.

Jande wants the green panther sent to Mariel on Horde.

Jiantou wants the blue panther sent to Jiantou.

Arm wants the Steelbound Devourer sent to Ethuil on his Horde side (it is easier with mounts bc Borgg makes them so thanks).

The rest of you will get an Enchanted Pen sent to the toon you posted on.

My job has me running like mad this week so just looking for a window, but I would like to get them out in the next few days. Thanks for being patient- I promise you’ll be cruising in style really soon.

Also, because everyone seemed to have a lot of fun, I am considering doing this on a semi-regular basis. I love reading everyone’s stories and it is just a matter of saving up resources. I also think it would be neat to maybe eventually make a “master thread” that links to everyone’s work without the inbetween stuff. That way the forums could have an entire thread of nothing but creative writing for people to read at their pleasure.

But for now, let me get this one put away and we will go from there. Thank you all again for being a part of it and be proud of yourselves.

3 Likes

Correct-a-mundo on my end. Definitely looking forward to competing/writing in more prompts, and thanks again!

2 Likes

Yep, that looks correct to me.

2 Likes

I should have time tonight when I shut down. I think you’ve all waited long enough and I will make it happen. I’ll post here when they are sent so you can be sure to let me know if there are any issues.

3 Likes

Yeah I got thinking it would probably be a lot easier for you to send it to a Horde :slight_smile:

Also I’m always down for writing prompts, prizes or not. I have a hard time just sitting down and writing so prompts help me get started lol.

2 Likes

Ok! So each of you should check your mail. I just sent everything and I want to make sure I got everyone.

Altielle, I put a note in your mail because I didn’t realize you can’t actually trade the tokens. So instead, I sent you the gold amount they are going for on AH, and that way you can either buy one yourself or keep the gold if you were wanting to sell it. I hope that works.

Rorrand, I sent your pen to your Horde alt that you mailed me on.

Otherwise, I am pretty sure I got it down. But just in case, if you didn’t get anything, please let me know and we will figure it out.

3 Likes

I just got it. Thank you again! I’m so honored to win among such excellent submissions.

3 Likes

Ditto to all of that.

1 Like

Glad to have participated! Realize I was absent for a lot of this and didn’t throw much of my own comments in, but I really did enjoy getting to read through the different tales!

1 Like