Story Contest- Your Own Death

It is the end of your character’s path. I would hear of it.

Perhaps it is how you envision your character’s actual death happening, albiet in the future. Perhaps it is an AU version, one whose life has been exactly the same up until this deciding moment of their demise. Maybe they meet a violent end, dying for a righteous cause. Maybe they died peacefully in their sleep after a life worth living. Maybe their death is pointless and cruel and entirely undeserved. Maybe it came from hilariously gruesome bad luck. Maybe they’ve already died. It is entirely up to you.

There are as many different types of death as there are the lives that met them. Everything ends. This is a contest to allow you to write your own fate, and of course nothing is binding- this is all hypothetical. Write a version of how you see it happening or write a version where it is an AU.

Rules:

1. Your character has to die. Not figuratively; literal death.

2. Everything else is up to you. The setting, the circumstances, even the format. There are no length requirements. I expect most people will choose stories but the medium is entirely up to you. If you want to write a poem you can. If you want to draw a picture showing it you can. If you want to make a machinima you can. You decide how you want to represent it. This is purely an exercise in creativity and as long as your character dies, then let your imagination be your only limit. That is a lot of wiggle room.

3. You can post multiple entrees if you have more than one character, but please say so because only one of your work can be submitted for prize consideration. Please make a note on which one you want to be your official entry.

4. Do not criticize anyone else’s work. If you don’t like it, shut up about it. Compliments are welcome but there is no reason to tear anyone down. It takes courage to put yourself out here like this.

5. Entry deadline is 2 weeks from today, June 2nd at midnight server time. I will announce the judging rules after the deadline.

6. To submit your story, simply post it in this thread. Please keep an eye out to not interupt anyone telling multipost stories. I know accidents happen sometimes but luckily we can delete/repost as necessary to allow people to continue smoothly.

7. WRA characters only. Nothing against other servers. This is for our community, that’s all. Also I have no way of getting prizes to anyone off realm. You can post stories for off realm alts if you like, but only WRA toons are eligible for prizes.

8. I might have to add more rules depending on questions and feedback and how things go. But I feel like this should cover it.

Prizes:

First prize: WoW token
Second prize: choice of Steelbound Devourer mount or player choice of JC Colored Panther (Not Onyx)
Third: Whatever 2nd place doesn’t pick

I also might give out different awards depending on circumstances but officially that is what I am doing for the winners.

If you have any questions, just ask. Good luck and I hope to see your work.

19 Likes

We post them here, right?

1 Like

Yes. Good call; I will add that.

Hear ye the tale of a druid’s fall
And a traitor’s death at that.
For what did she betray the Horde?
Is her honor yet intact?

Za’tiya, a maiden of darkest spear
Left the Isles for the Glade
Beneath the gaze of Cenarius near,
Journ’d to moonlight from the shade.

For why did she despise the Horde?
Is her honor yet intact?

Fire and blood, the land grew bare.
Death’s footmen bled her dry.
Their swords begat a sea of tears,
Led blindly by Death’s bride.

For how did she impair the Horde?
Is her honor yet intact?

On Darkshore strands she cut them down.
Couriers of plague.
The Banshee’s minions wailed and burned
Ablaze in celestial flames.

For whom did she betray the Horde?
Is her honor yet intact?

Her brother blighted at the Banshee’s gates.
Her sweet sister devoid of hope.
Mayhaps her lover, a man elate,
Who bore a shield of blue and gold.

Was she punished by the Horde?
Is her honor yet intact?

Caught at last and caged like swine,
Tortured to the bone.
Led at dawn and placed in line,
To be shot in the Underhold.

14 Likes

Fortea would die of a sickness, one that the Light could not cure. One that would be taxing on his body, like a cancer, as he slowly fades away, reflecting on his life and the people he’s made friends with, the people who looked up to him.

He would ask them all to see him, and he would part with them what wisdom he could, before allowing the Light to take him.

Aaaand I posted this as Norent. May as well go with her:

Norent Alder would be completely corrupted by the Shadow that plagued her, the same shadow she thought she mastered so long ago.

Her mind would give in, and she would go out with a bang; attempting to expand her cult forcibly, until finally, she is consumed by her attempt to commune further with the Void.

Her own power would be her end.

EDIT: I understand now. Apologies for my confusion.

2 Likes

Norent- I enjoy your ideas. And while I did say I want people to choose their own method of representing their death, I also want to make sure this doesn’t turn in a thread of people simply telling how they see it happen- which would be a neat thread, but this is different.

I should have been more clear and please don’t let this discourage you. Maybe turn what you said into a story? I would love to see you show how both of those deaths occur in your writing. The last hours of Fortea as his body fades away, or the inner thoughts of Norent as she succumbs to her madness and is lost forever.

Edit: There’s no need to apologize! You have great ideas and I hope you decide to further develop them for the contest. I enjoy Fortea’s sermons and would be interested in his final moments.

1 Like

Here’s a bump for this! I like the prompt and I’m thinking about it, just haven’t felt inspired yet to write anything.

3 Likes

Just a heads up Borgg; if you have alts you can bypass the post limit with them, in case you want to bump this thread on your own.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Ars Moriendi

On any other day, in any other time, Ohtion Hruodland would have found this day beautiful. Lordaeron had never been home, not truly. That had always been Stormwind, the land of his childhood. The land of sweet innocent memories. Lordaeron stood a darker spectre in his life. Lordaeron had been Ohtion’s home after the fall of Stormwind in the First War until the Third War, when Lordaeron had fallen itself to the undead plague. In the Second War, Ohtion wore Lordaeron’s colours as a 15 year old boy in his first battles. His mother had died to a death knight’s blade here during the Second War. The soil of Lordaeron had drank deeply of his sorrow. It was a place of loss, of darkness, of war. Yet today was indeed beautiful. The sun reigned triumphantly in the sky, beaming down on all gathered.

Or, it would have been beautiful if not for the fact that the Horde and Alliance were currently waging an open war right here outside the Undercity. “For the Horde!” Sylvanas Windrunner, the dark Warchief of the Horde, had shrieked in her banshee wail. And the Horde had surged forth.

Ohtion matched blades with a large blood elf, clad in heavy armor. As he slipped his dagger behind the elf’s breastplate, Ohtion sighed in fear. He hated fighting sin’dorei. Half-elven, Ohtion’s father was a blood elf. Loyal to the Horde. Ohtion ripped off the elf’s helmet. Quick, like a bandage. The elf was red-haired and scarred. Faerthurindir had dark, raven-feather hair like his half-human son.

Ohtion breathed a sigh of relief, and surged to his feet just in time to deflect an orcish axe. Another swing knocked the orc’s weapon away, opening the orc up to a bash in the head from Ohtion’s pommel. The green being’s head made a sickening crunch, and Ohtion opened his throat as a mercy.

It seemed as though the Alliance might actually win this war. The Horde had burned Teldrassil, the ancient tree-home of the night elves. Ohtion had never seen it, but he had heard it was beautiful. And the Horde had incinerated it, killing thousands, including civilians and children. The night elf capital and dozens if not hundreds of villages turned to ash. It was unthinkable.

Your hands aren’t free from blood either, his conscience chided him. It was true. Ohtion had been on the earth for just over five decades, and had been killing for the better part of that.

As a soldier. As a mercenary. As a paladin. he told himself.

Sometimes, his inner voice agreed. But sometimes as a butcher… And you are no paladin. Do you think one such as Anduin Wrynn would want you wearing that shiny lion on your breast if he knew what you’d done? Who are you to mete out justice?

Ohtion shook himself from the reverie. He was likely to get himself killed if he didn’t focus. He was a decent swordsman, he wasn’t too humble to admit. But nor was he too proud to also admit that luck had as much to do with his continued existance on Azeroth as his own skill, if not moreso.

A Forsaken - a reanimated human corpse, endowed with free will and malice - leapt into the air at him, twin shortblades whirling and singing. The blades were jagged and bent, but nevertheless glinted in the morning sun. Ohtion hated undead more than anything. Had dedicated his life to eradicating them, first as a Scarlet Crusader and then as a freelancer. He roared in anger at the undead, spitting an epithet at the undead as he kicked the ghoul backwards.

The corpse smiled at him with malevolence, letting out a wheezing cackle like dead wood cracking in the chill of winter. The undead surged forward again, its gait unholy and fast, jerking and unnatural. Ohtion roared and reached out to the Light. A faint yellow glow illuminated his left hand. He blocked the two blades and then reached out with his holy hand, laying it on the face of the undead. The flesh seared and the ghoul shrieked. Ohtion squeezed and squeezed, his hand sinking in like he was squeezing a loaf of bread fresh from the oven. Then the undead’s skull cracked, and the Forsaken went limp, crumpling to the dirt.

See? I’m a paladin, he chided his conscience. He could swear he heard his conscience scoff.

“Such a crude and vulgar utilization of Light,” came a baritone,rich voice. A familiar voice. A voice as deep as the earth, like the heartbeat of the very land.

Ohtion looked up from the smouldering, headless corpse at his feet. And then he looked up some more, for standing before him was a 10-foot-tall Tauren.

His horns were impressive, at least four feet long, though curled. Runes had been carved down the length of them. Brilliant vermillion warpaint adorned his face, armor, and body in bold, swirling designs. His mane was rich and mahogany, cascading down in two thick braids on either side of his bovine head. The feathers of eagles and falcons had been woven into them. In his hand he held a mighty hammer. The head was the form of a roaring lion, and brilliant golden stone was in the beast’s jaws.

“Pravan Lionsong,” muttered Ohtion.

Pravan dipped his head, “Ohtion Hruodland.”

The two stared at each other momentarily as the battle roared around them. It would have been inaccurate to call them friends. But they had shared drink and stories during the Legion campaign, as members of the Silver Hand.

It was Ohtion who broke the silence, “What are you doing here, Lionsong? Do you think what Sylvanas and your Horde did at Teldrassil was right?” He spat the words with venom. He instantly regretted it, as Pravan’s eyes seemed to smoulder with fire.

“No,” said Lionsong, with the closest thing to hatred in his voice that Ohtion had ever heard come from the mighty tauren. “The Warchief will face justice. Sooner rather than later, An’she willing.” An’she. The Tauren believed that the Light came from the sun, who they taught was a god called An’she. Those who wielded the Sun’s powers were therefore called Sunwalkers. And Pravan was the most zealous Sunwalker that Ohtion had ever met. The bull-man seemed to believe that his “god” spoke to him, in signs and visions, dreams and portents.

“And what of you, Hruodland? I did not take you for a patriot, yet here you are, wearing that gaudy lion.” He snorted derisively, gesturing at Ohtion’s tabard which was emblazoned with the golden lion of Stormwind. “Did I not tell you how foolish a symbol it was? There are no lions in Stormwind. Yet my tribe lived with lions. Loved them and feared them. They are as brothers to us.” Ohtion had heard the story before, even had chuckled once upon a time when he had conceded that, no, the human kingdom of Stormwind didn’t have much reason to have a lion as their symbol. But that was in the past.

Ohtion shrugged, “You’re right. I’ve never been much of a patriot. But I had to fight today, here. After what she did. After what your people did. And enlisting was the best way to do it.”

Pravan nodded. Then he smiled sadly. “Go home, Ohtion,” he muttered in that low, sonorous tone. His huge, shaggy head shook slowly as his rich amber eyes gazed with pity at Ohtion. “You’re not ready to die.”

Ohtion hated pity. He felt anger and bile rise up in him, and he spit an epithet back at the bull. “You always were a patronizing idiot, Lionsong. You know that right?”

The Sunwalker shrugged. “I only speak the truth as my god commands. How you receive it is out of my control. But it is true. Meanwhile, I am ready to die today, if it be An’she’s will. Indeed I feel my death coming soon. I have no reason to be afraid as long as I walk in his holy light. Every action I take, every breath of air that fills my lungs, is divinely ordered to his will.”

The tauren sighed mournfully. “But you… I sense your faithlessness. I can smell the hatred and anger and fear coming off of you. I always could. That is why I sought you out at Light’s Hope. I thought that I could save you. I still want to believe I can. You remind me of myself, when my tribe was destroyed, when I languished in chains, a slave. Before my old self was scourged away and my true self was illuminated by An’she. I was blinded by hatred and fear too. I know what it is like. I know the weight of it. Live another day. Mayhaps, when this war is over, An’she willing I will seek you out and help you, if you wish it.”

The tauren gazed up at the sun. Ohtion felt his anger rising, and clenched the grip of his sword tightly.

“Go, Ohtion. Find your true self. Do not die here today. You are unready. Woefully unready.”

That was enough. Ohtion was almost two decades his senior, he had been fighting since before this upstart beast was even born. Ohtion would listen to it no more. The pity, the derision, the patronizing. The truth. Ohtion snarled and rolled forward, grabbing a fistful of dust and dirt as he tumbled. He flung the dirt upward into Pravan’s eyes, then swung his sword into the tauren’s arm. Pravan was able to raise his fist in time, and caught the blade on his vambrace. Yet Ohtion’s blade still did damage, biting through the armor and into fur and muscle.

Pravan pivoted and bashed Ohtion languidly with the haft of his great warhammer, as though Ohtion was not even worth the effort. And yet, Ohtion was flung backwards considerable. Light, he’s strong! “That was… underhanded. Unbecoming of one who would purport to walk in the Light. Would Uther the Lightbringer have done such a thing? Would have Aslaug Hruodland?”

Ohtion shrieked with murderous rage, scrambling to his feet and charging at Pravan. “Never use my mother’s name!” he snarled as he ran. He called upon the Light, and a faint glow began to emit from his blade.

Glowing blade swung down in a vertical line, and clanged against the haft of Pravan’s hammer, held out horizontally in front of him. Ohtion felt his muscles bulging beneath his armor as he pressed down his blade with all his might. The tauren Sunwalker looked at the faintly glowing blade and smiled. “Oh, Ohtion… Thirty years as a paladin and this is what you have to show for it? A small crack of dawn? I told you that you were faithless. Unrighteous. Oh, there may be some faith within you, but it is not in yourself nor anything divine. It is not enough to sustain you. To make you a true warrior of the Light. It hurts me so, Ohtion. There are many faithless and unrighteous in the world, it is true. But you… You have such potential. An’she has shown me. And had he not, the fact that even one as broken as you can conjure even this bit of Light is proof as well. You could be a boon in the coming battles against the Shadow. Please, leave now and go find your potential. It is not your time to die. This is your last warning.”

Pravan Lionsong could be called many things. Brave, strong, noble. But tactful was not one of them. And in that moment, the tauren may as well have thrown oil on a flame. The two were still locked into place, the half-elf’s hand-and-a-half sword bearing down on the haft of the tauren’s warhammer. Ohtion seethed, spittle flying from his mouth as he spoke “I’m not walking away! If you want to live then you’d better! I am going to kill you, and mount your head on my wall.”

In that moment, time seemed frozen. Horde and Alliance clashed around them, but to both men the din was faint, as if it were thousands of miles away. Pravan sighed and closed his eyes, and a tear rolled down the large tauren’s face, running like a rivulet through his warpaint. “Very well…” he whispered. And then his voice began to crescendo, “then bask in the glow of the true Light!” he roared. And as if he had been tangling with a small child, Pravan thrust his haft forward, sending Ohtion flying six feet backwards. The half-elf landed on his back in the dirt, and felt the wind get knocked out of his chest. Oh Light, thought Ohtion, he’s been holding back the entire time…

Sunwalker Pravan, last of the Lionsong Tribe, raised his holy hammer to the sky. Fiery yellow light illuminated both weapon and wielder, and Ohtion could swear he saw golden, fiery eagle’s wings unfurl from the tauren’s shoulders. Indeed, the beast-man leaped into the air, covering more distance than his massive frame could have ever possibly allowed.

All things are possible to him with faith, which you’d have known had you not wasted your life…

Eff that, I’m dying on my feet. Ohtion scrambled to his feet, and held his sword in front of him as a guard. The blade still glowed with Light, but an onlooker would have been unable to see it in the shade of Pravan’s brilliance. Pravan’s hammer came crashing down, shattering the blade with ease and crashing into Ohtion’s chest.

He fell back into the dirt, gasping frantically for air. He had felt his chest cave in, and now blood sputtered from his lips.

Oh Light! Oh mother! Please! It hurts! I’m not ready to die! He tried to shriek the words but could only think them.

Aren’t you? You have had over fifty years in this life, and what have you done with most of that time? Kill. Hunt. Hate. Drink. Lie. Cheat. Steal. Fear. How many people, how many children, have died while you stumbled along aimlessly, barely more than a beast. You hate undead. Do you want to know why? Because you hate yourself. Because you ARE undead. A pitiable, shambling imitation of life. Many died in Teldrassil that did not deserve it. Many will die today that deserve to go home to their families. How cruel that your mother died in her first year as a paladin while you have staggered drunkenly around as a mockery of one for FIFTY years. This is a better death than you deserve. Wearing the tabard of a hero, dying to a true knight. Take it, you ingrate. Take it and be thankful.

Now Pravan was looming over him. The tauren knelt down beside him, cradling his head. “Go now into An’she’s warm embrace, o lost soul. Though you have eschewed the Light in your life, may it illuminate your way in death.”

Gurgling. Ohtion looked up at him. “Thank you…” The tauren nodded forlornly, wiping a tear from his eye. Then he gingerly set Ohtion’s head down into the dirt, and marched on into the battle.

Ohtion gazed up at the sun until his eyes finally closed.

8 Likes

Are there length limitations? How much are you willing to read?

1 Like

Nope, it is entirely up to you. The only rule is that your character has to die. As long as that criteria is met, you can do anything you want.

I feel like less restrictions on form might encourage more people to participate, and also allow more freedom for you guys to explore where the story takes you. A good story is a good story regardless of word count, and I personally enjoy seeing the things people can come up with on their own terms.

In other words, knock yourself out!

1 Like

Fair warning there is some level of graphic descriptions, mostly relating to loss of a limb. Nothing too intense, but if you’re squeamish about that sort of thing you may want to skip this.

The sounds of battle had drifted away like a calming storm. What once attacked Altielle’s ears in a chorus of chaos and clanging metal faded into the occasional yelp, a cry of conquest, and single blades colliding. The raging fire of conflict had burned itself out and she, along with many, were left behind to sort through their hard fought victory.

It was a victory she bought with the taste of soil and blood, laying on her back beneath a pine branch. Her breath was steady, her face emotionless. The shock was still wearing off after an hour of isolation on the ground. She knew something was wrong, but for some reason she could not bring her mind to focus on it. Instead she had let her thoughts scatter and wander through the scarred landscape of her memories.

It was comforting to imagine herself anywhere but here, yet she knew nothing would happen languishing in the past. A sharp hiss escaped her lips as she propped herself up, dragging herself onto the crooked bough of the tree that had dutifully shielded for her so long. A crunch of glass drew her gaze to the earth, lifting her right hand to find the sparkling remains of her amulet’s gem.

The green pieces were now dull, glinting in the moonlight through twisted twigs and leaves. It explained the lack of feeling. Maybe even the lack of fear. A fear that was beginning to worm itself into her chest as she watched her glittering arcane blood pool around the necklace bits.

She closed one eye, torn by the desire to investigate the source of injury. The amount of the thickening purple substance that was dripping into the dirt told her enough. Her shaking hand brushed aside the bush that mercifully shielded her sight. A sigh of disbelief and desperation cooed from her lips as she stared beyond her shredded red robe at her legs.

Her leg. A swift beating began to grow out from within her heart as panic seeped in, threatening to destroy all rational thought. Where was her other leg?

She leaned over, trying to fumble around the ichor-stained cloth of her robes for her right thigh. She could not feel anything below her hips due to her paralysis, which meant surely she just could not see it. It was hidden somewhere. It was somewhere.

Somewhere else. Her hands slipped against a fleshy surface, wet with her own life essence. A few squeezes around a hard, broken object in the middle of the soft stump told her enough. She wailed quietly and pressed the side of her face against the tree’s bark for support, wrapping her arms around herself like a child trying to hide from their problems.

She wiped some of the blood from her face. It only smeared more on it. She wiped again more frantically before giving up, pushing her shaking knuckles into the ground to stop herself from trying again. As she heard the pinging of blood drops joining the increasingly larger puddle, a pleading thought of survival came to her.

Cauterize. She quickly snapped her fingers, trying to form a flame. Fel magic sparked around her fingers, but refused to ignite. Her fingers crashed together over and over, failing each time to conjure a fire.

“Please,” she whispered to any power that would hear her. Her hand was too wet and she was already feeling lightheaded.

She pointed at a nearby stick, channeling a spell of immolation at it. It burst to life, crackling with the comforting glow of green energy. She reached for it, fingers fumbling worthlessly through the air. It was out of reach.

Without hesitation, she lunged from the tree trunk, ignoring the dead leaves and fertile earth that clung to her hands and face as she dragged herself to the taunting torch. It sickened her at how much lighter she was without the extra weight. Even worse was the sound of spraying coming from the exertion.

She could not even look as she flopped her arm forward, searching for the searing branch. Her hand met a burning sting that told her she had found it. Ignoring the scalding of her flesh, she rolled onto her back and held the stick up. It had already burned out, but it would be hot enough to do the trick. She hoped.

Her ears were greeting with a stomach churning sizzling as she pressed the torch to her stump. She rolled it over and over in a bid to end the deluge of life. The boiling sound came to an end and she knew it wasn’t enough, peering at the now drenched chunk of wood.

She dropped her head, ignoring the pounding agony of hitting a rock with it. A gurgling cry resonated from her while tears streamed down her face. She barely registered the rustle of overgrowth nearby until a face came into view.

It was the grimacing face of a night elf, contorted in pain and terror. She peered down at Altielle with innocent, panicked eyes and dropped to her knees. She assumed the other elf was young. Her cheeks were rounder and her body’s curvature was somewhat lacking. It was still hard to say. Elves were always difficult to figure out, even for her.

The night elf touched her face and she turned away. She insisted by pulling her head back towards her. Altielle caught glimpse of an arrow standing defiantly from her stomach. How the kaldorei was still alive, much less moving around, was a question she doubted she would receive an answer for.

“Anar…” the youth croaked. She was sure that meant “help” in Darnassian. Altielle only hissed in response and tried to push her away.

There was the sound of cloth being torn. She looked down and saw the sentinel had ripped a piece of purple fabric from her tabard and was pushing it against her stump. She rolled her eyes as the young warrior gave up on dressing the wound.

“Leave me to die alone,” she muttered. The night elf did not understand Orcish, of course, and slid to her side, staring at Altielle with imploring silver eyes. A rough hand found her face and stroked away some of the blood that clung to it. She wanted to spit or bite, but her energy was dwindling rapidly, forcing her to accept the gesture.

Something boomed in the distance. The night elf’s eyes drifted up and she gasped, pointing.

“An! Ethala shan’re do!” she sobbed. An orange light reflected in her pale blue face, forcing Altielle to turn.

A fire had bloomed miles away, raging with a wild torrent from the shore. No. From the sea. She watched with a mixture of horror and shame as Teldrassil was consumed in a flower of heat and light. This was not the plan.

“Min’da!” came a scream behind her. The sentinel was crying with renewed vigor, shaking as she grabbed Altielle’s throat. Her muffled cry blended with the night elf’s and she felt her vision darken.

Then it stopped. The kaldorei trembled with her grief, but had let go. She rolled onto her back and stared up at the sky, murmuring what she assumed was a prayer to Elune before looking back at her. She didn’t want to die alone, Altielle assumed.

In a way, neither did she. She wasn’t ready. She had so much she wanted to do in this new world. She had so many people she wanted to meet. So many people she wanted to make amends with. Despite this, she could not even muster a single tear now. She lacked any capacity to do so, and all she could do was listen as both of their shallow breaths grew longer and fewer in between.

The two stared at one another, both eyes slowly losing their glow. Altielle’s last glimpse was of Teldrassil blazing in the mirror of the sentinel’s glossy eyes.

5 Likes

Awesome entries so far. Just a head’s up that if you want to enter for prizes, the deadline is in one week. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’ve been eyeing this from the sidelines, so uh. Don’t mind me for randomly dropping in.

When this gets another bump I’ll probably have the story I want to slap up posted.

In the meantime- Grabs his eyeglasses and continues reading

1 Like

6 days left!

(Originally written for a story about what if one of my characters got a Legion artifact, this story is one I am very proud of.)

Two gnomes sat across from each other at a table in an inn in Pandaria. A woman with a wolf pelt covering her red locks and a man donned in gold armor, and a large battle axe slung over his back.

“Dreanor.”
“Dreanor is an isolated example and you know it.”
“It is a perfect example of multi-universal theory, Maggie.”
“My cute butt it is.”
“Language.”
“Dreanor is an example of a split time line created by a time traveling orc.”
“Split time lines are alternate universes.”
“Yes, but there is only one and it was created! It did not naturally come into existence!”
“Define “naturally existing.”, my dear sister.”
“Copper, I will not sit here and argue semantics with you! There is no possible way that multi-universal theory is true!”

The cold air of Dun Morogh stung at the gnome’s ears as he dressed the wound of the man in front of him. “What? You can’t dodge an arrow, Firetap?” “Nae, I can dodge an arrow, laddie. But the ugly bugger shot two!” The gnome laughed with the wounded dwarf. “Copper! We’ve got more wounded incoming!” The thin, red haired gnome lifted his head to turn to his fellow healer. A gnomish priest with blonde pigtails who had taken the moniker “Lightbulb” shouted to Copper. He ran over and assisted another dwarf soldier who had been brought in from the battle against the troggs.

This was the Iron Forge guard before the mists cleared, while the destroyer still threatened to decimate Azeroth. His flight over Khaz Modan caused some considerable destruction, including the homes of the barbarous troggs which were now threatening the short inhabitants of the mountain.

Copperbrow, along with Lightbulb, and a wildhammer shaman by the name of Lunno Flamewing were the field medics assigned to this operation. They were taking more injuries than previously expected and were waiting on back up from Iron Forge.

The newest patient had a trogg axe stuck in her shoulder. “Get this bloody thing outta me, lad. That is iffin you can lift it.” Copper was used to these casual ribbings, being the small thing that he was. Even for a gnome he was very lacking in muscle mass and with no magical ability he was the farthest thing from a fighter in Khaz Modan. Despite this he was able to pull out the crude weapon and it fell to the ground with a thud. Lightbulb spoke a prayer as the wound was engulfed in light and slowly healed.

Copper was watching the wound heal when he heard the shaman shout. “TROLLS!” Copperbrow and Lightbulb turned to see a pack of frostmane trolls, charging toward them. One clubbed Lunno over the head knocking him to the ground. Lightbulb tried to fend off the attackers with blasts of the light, but they lacked the strength to stop the charging trolls. The last thing Copper saw was a particularly large troll with a particularly heavy club before it all went dark.

When he awoke, he was all alone. His friends, his fellow soldiers and medics, were nowhere to be seen. There were foot prints in the snow leading away to the troll camp. He looked around, in a panic, shouting the names of his friends. “LIGHTBULB! LUNNO! FIRETAP!” His only response was the echo of his own voice. As he got to his feet, he reached down and picked up the bloodied trogg axe that still rested in the snow. He gripped the handle tightly, his teeth clenched, his eyes wide and full of utter rage. A rage unfamiliar to the pacifist gnome. A rage that shook his very core. He began following the two-toed footprints leading back to the troll camp.

“Every possibility forms its own universe.”
“You’re full of it.”
“Every coin flip. Every decision. They all cause our timeline to splinter.”
“There is nothing to support this theory.”
“Drea-”
“Copper.”
“Deny the solid evidence all you want.”
“If every possibility forms an new time line then every major event in our lives happened differently in their own reality!”

The tiny gnome screamed with fury as he cut through troll after troll. His small body, coated in troll blood, shook with rage. With each kill, he could see himself getting closer to his friends, beaten and tied, but alive. He was a mere 5 meters away from them when he felt a sudden thump against the back of his head. A warm wetness poured down his neck and back. His ears rang as he wobbled back and forth before falling face first in the snow. A troll with a lucky throw had felled the tiny warrior before his journey had even begun. He laid there, axe resting in the back of his head, motionless.

“COPPERBROW BOOMSTICK!” a deep, accented, but unmistakably female voice spoke his name. “You have been judged by the Valkyr… AND FOUND WORTHY!”

The gnome opened his eyes slowly, struggling to adjust to the bright light shining off the gold fixtures around him. His hand immediately went to the back of his head. Upon finding no wound or weapon, his arm fell to his side and he looked around. On all sides, he was surrounded by large hulking men and women. The women had wings and helmets that covered their eyes, while the men had skin seemingly made of solid gold. In front of him was a large structure, as he looked up he realized it was a throne and sitting in it was an enormous man with metallic skin, a beard made out of moving molten magma, one glowing eye, and wearing golden armor. " GREETINGS SMALL CHAMPION! " His booming voice made Copper fall backwards. " YOU HAVE DIED A VALOROUS DEATH IN BATTLE AND FOR THIS, I WELCOME YOU… TO THE HALLS OF VALOR! "

Copperbrow looked around in confusion and disbelief. “The halls of… Wait, I have died?”
"Yes, small champion. You have died, and my valkyr brought you here, before me, ODYN! "
“Well… Mr. Odyn… I appreciate the rescue, but-”
YOU ARE THE FIRST OF YOUR RACE TO JOIN ME HERE AND SHALL BECOME THE FIRST OF YOUR KIND TO BECOME MY VALARJAR! " The various metal mean roared mighty at the word “Valarjar”.
“Okay, I am afraid I… don’t know what that is, but I really need to-”
HERE, EVERYTHING YOU COULD WANT WILL BE SUPPLIED TO YOU! FOOD! COMBAT! AND REVELRY IN SCORES!
“But Mr. Odyn.”
IN TIME, YOU WILL FIGHT ALONGSIDE ME IN THE WAR AGAINST THE LE- "
“WAAAAIT!”
The giant titan construct blinked his one eye and looked down at Copperbrow. " For what reason do you interrupt me, tiny champion? YOU SHOULD BE HONORED TO BE IN MY PRES-!!!
“My friends and colleagues will die if I do not return!”
The warrior king stroked his magma beard. This is something that has never happened before. Any vrykul who had been brought to the halls had been overwhelmed with the honor and glory that had been brought to them. “You wish to return… to finish a battle to save others…” He bent down and stared at the little gnome. " Very well, my minuscule champion. You shall be returned to whence you came, but after the battle is won, you shall return here as my valarjar. "
“Oh, thank you, Great Odyn. I only hope I can manage to defeat-”
"BUT! You shall not be sent back in your small and weak form with that tooth pick you call a weapon. You shall be given a weapon, appropriate for fighting the monsters that defeated you.” One man of metal approached Copper and knelt down to him, presenting a large great sword to him. Odyn spoke. " THIS IS STROM’KAR, THE WAR BREAKER! TAKE IT AND BRING VALOR TO THESE HALLS!" The gnome gripped the handle of the sword and immediately it clanged to the ground. He struggled to lift it. Odyn paused for a moment. "AND! You shall be given the mighty metal of my VALARJAR! " Odyn lifted up the gnome in his hand and clenched his fist, light escaping between his fingers.

Two trolls stood over a boiling pot. “Ey, mon. What we put in first? Da little one or da hairy one?”
“Ya put da hairy one in first and den ya slice da little one into the-” The troll was cut off by the deafening sound of a nearby explosion. Snow and debris were kicked up in the impact. Once the cloud of scattered snow cleared, a small, man with golden skin and a copper beard stood in the crater. He lifted a mighty sword in the air and the trolls were suddenly struck with pure fear. Their noses filled with scent of troll blood. They ears filled with the screams of their ancestors. All around them they saw visions of dead trolls at their feet.

“Wha… What is dat…?”

The tiny metal man lifted his head, gripped his sword and shouted in a tinny, echoing voice.

" I AM VALARJAR! "

6 Likes

Alright. Got the story for my DH (Playername; Felwreath) ready.
Here we go.

50,021 Years Later

Location - Desolated World

Shalaras shuddered awake with a vague gasp, a hand grasping at his chest. Numb hands touched bloody demonic steel, a spire erupting triumphantly from his chest as he lay prone.

It had been a slow death, given, but he knew he couldn’t regenerate his way out of this; nor was he in a hurry to. This world, whatever it was, was saturated in fel and chaos within the Twisting Nether. It was a dark home, a twisted home, a shifting formless lawless land; a rock drifting through.

His flaming gaze shifted to the side to peer at the ruined portal. He had been judged left for dead, another small realization before the effort overcame him and caused him to slump back on the spire- even slide down further, eliciting a pained grunt and a stabbing series of white-hot touches to his side.

He had nothing but time to reflect, so he decided to make the most of it with what coherent thought was left. His mind drifted between faces old and new as he leaned back, hissing in pain. Remembering a kingdom torn asunder, an unfair choice- a damnable prison-

The embers softened faintly. Orcs and Trolls and Elves and More, sitting back- twisting about, laughing beneath an Orgrimmar sun. Shrieking, one of them in protest- the other too shy-

His mind focused on her again. How many years had it been since she had died? A curse to outlive everyone, was what he was given, and that curse seemed to not have much longer to linger.

Lahrra, cracked lips whispered. The face burned brightly in his mind. If he kept going…

Altielle. Tiva. Lahrra. Shera’fon.
He repeated the four-name mantra in breathy gasps, the faces coming harder and harder with each repetition.

Died back in Darkshore.
Died how she wanted.

Outlived her.

Outlived him. Job went wrong.

He fought back the ends- no. He had to focus, didn’t he?

Focus on what, now?

The embers slowly began to peter out from his eyes. For a brief moment, he saw faces to reach towards- hope to reach for-

His arm fell limply to the side as a final shuddering gasp left him.

3 Likes

Dang. As one of your RP buddies that hit me straight in the feels.

3 Likes

Did like the details on your own about the disbelief and surprise about Teldrassil- plucked at the heartstrings too, my dude. Did awesome too.

3 Likes