Stop using Pay to Win Wrong!

You’re doing God’s work, son.

Too bad absolutely no one will listen to you.

It’s not pay to win in this environment. It’s a catchup mechanic, it would be pay to win if servers were starting fresh and the boosters had the leg up over everyone starting at 1.

A level 58 can make “a couple hundred gold” in a couple of hours by farming certain NPCs, no professions required. And not everyone cares about cosmetics like mounts, especially the 60% ones that will ultimately be replaced.

If the 58 boost and the level 1 start at the same time, the level 1 will not even be close to having made that couple hundred gold before the level 58 is 70. Once again, the only way the level 1 could ever have an advantage to the level 58 boost is if they started playing earlier, and are already around level 58 by the time the booster starts playing. I don’t see how this scenario is relevant when you’re trying to talk about people coming back to play TBC, who didn’t want to bother with vanilla. I really don’t get how you can’t see the inherent advantages of a boost, when the level 1 char always needs a headstart to compete.

There is no reason to believe that gear they start out with will not be comparable to level 58 quest items. It will be impossible to tell for sure until Blizzard reveals more information, but at least retail boosts have established a sort of precedent in favor of my argument. But you never addressed the fact that most of this gear will immediately start getting replaced by quests in Hellfire.

I agree that GDKP in itself is not P2W. But it invites that behavior in when it starts really early on. Buying gold behavior that is.

GDKP would exist with or without bots and gold buying. It infact does exist with legitimate players who never bought gold or botted in their life.

Wrath of the Lich King Naxxramas.
Wrath of the Lich King Onyxia.
Cataclysm.
Mists of Pandaria challenge modes.
Mists of Pandaria scenarios.
Ahead of the Curve achievements.
Cutting Edge achievements.

They’ve deleted plenty of content. Don’t be silly.

No, of course not, but if you supported it (or at least agreed that if boosts exists, they should be unlimited), at least your viewpoints would be consistent.

How can you possibly argue that the reason for boosts is that 1-58 content is irrelevant while also not supporting the option to completely skip that content each time you make a character?

How can you possibly argue that we should be allowed to boost characters to 58 to skip irrelevant content while also arguing that there is some reason people shouldn’t be allowed to do it every time they make a character?

Incorrect.

Blood Elves and Draenei exist, and they start at level 1.
Jewelcrafting exists, available at level 5.
Talents only available in TBC can first be learned at level 41 (if you don’t include all the new ones add before the new ones at the bottom of the tree).

You’re right, I could have worded it better. What I meant was former expansions zones and levelling content. You could argue cata got rid of the original vanilla zones and questlines in some areas and youd be correct but that was the point of that expansion.

Like I said before, Im neither for or against boosts. I will be playing classic TBC whether there is a boost or not. The one time boost in my opinion is a compromise to satisfy as many different subsets of players as possible.

If they wanted to they could absolutely make it to where all those occur at 58 or beyond. Its unfortunate that draenai and blood elves would have to go through the irrelevant content to catch up but it is what it is.

You are paying to get an advantage in the game, whether someone else could have the same result by expending time playing the game does not matter.
It’s paying for an advantage, and many people could interpret that advantage as p2w.
Whether is p2w or not, its clear that it’s just a money grab.
If they actually did it with the intention of helping new people come to classic tbc then Boosting would only be allowed in accounts with no level 60…

1 Like

Its SO advantageous you wont even be able to identify who boosted at level 70.

Where is the irrelevancy? You miss their story lines by jumping ahead.

It would be like DK’s when Wrath came out. They would start out at 58 in their respective starting areas and move onto TBC. The rest of vanilla content is irrelevant to the race outside of their starting zone.

And yes, I know DK’s started as 55, for those who will try to point that out.

The advantage is the time you save not having to level. Why does everyone keep ignoring that fact?

You had to be 55 to make a Death Knight, though. You didn’t get to skip anything…

Because it doesn’t matter lol. It doesn’t give you a power advantage, it doesn’t give you a profession advantage, it doesn’t give you any advantage except time saved.

Infact you have to go BACK to vanilla content to level your professions rather than doing what the majority does and level your professions as you go. Another boosting disadvantage.

So you acknowledge it gives you an advantage? An advantage you can only get by paying real life money… meaning it’s pay to win.

Time is a significant advantage in an MMO.

3 Likes

By boosting you are saving time, and that time could be used to get Gold, Honor, Reputation, Items etc.
That is the advantage.

2 Likes

Time saved isnt pay to win lol.

Somebody boosting impacts your game none. You wont lose a raid spot to a booster because they boosted. You wont be disadvantaged at all by someone who boosted. The only thing you’ll be is sensitive to the fact they didn’t have to level 1-58 like you did.

You literally will not be able to identify someone who boosted unless you noticed their gear immediately after they boosted.

It literally is, by definition.

Incorrect. Bots will use the boosts to get instantly into TBC content and farm massive amounts of resources and gold, getting to skip all the time and expenses they’d otherwise have to spend getting there.

Because it’s instant, they can get right into the content they want to farm rather than having to level through the old zones where they might be detected and reported before doing any harm.

Profession alts (which is what all my boosts will be used for) are going to flood the economy with resources that are supposed to relatively rare due to a cooldown attached to them. Profession alts that most people wouldn’t have because leveling serves as a deterrent.

Actually, in competitive raiding, you might. Having a boost to be able to instantly get to level 58 and swap to a split raid alt that the group needs gives you a significant recruitment advantage over someone unwilling to pay money for the boost.

That is especially the case if you don’t have that alt precisely BECAUSE of the time it takes to level them.

Bots are really the only issue with the boost, I will give you that.

Boosters still have to go back to vanilla to level their professions up to TBC content, that point is moot. Anyone levelling a non draenai or blood elf right now has the advantage over someone waiting to boost their tbc alt.

Top 1% argument, you got me on that aspect of it but teams like that have a roster full of people with multiple alts and roles for split runs as it is and those characters are already at level 60 and wouldn’t need to boost them anyway. Those teams looking for draenai or blood elf racials cannot boost those alts so even that point is moot.

Your average raider will not be losing a spot on their raid team to someone that boosted.

Your arguments are full of holes. Almost everyone in this thread has gone from “this isn’t going to happen” to “okay this might happen, but it’s not going to be common”.

1 Like

But they won’t have to level. Those characters would not even exist if not for the boosts, or at the very least they’d be far less likely to exist BECAUSE of the leveling that people would have to do.

Yes, of course. As they should. But the thing is, the people leveling a non-Blood or non-Draenei right now can ALSO boost.

The boosts aren’t limited to people who didn’t already play.

You’d be surprised. The time and/or gold it takes to start a new character, gear it up, get it a mount, train it, etc, is a pretty big deterrent.

But consider this: the willingness to actually level up a new character like that is an earned advantage they have now that is being removed due to a paid service. If you don’t think being able to fork up $60 to get another character to 58 instantly is going to impact serious raiders, you’re dead wrong.

Don’t be so sure. With raid sizes reduced to 25 and the meta shifting to heavily favor classes that were previously far weaker, many people are out of a raid spot (see: Fury Warriors and Rogues).

Having the ability to boost to level 58 makes it far more likely to get a raid spot by way of picking the classes that people need in TBC. That’s still possible to do without boosts, of course, but how many people are going to drop their Naxxramas geared Warrior and level from level 1 to 60 now to reroll?

Not many. You could argue “your average raider” won’t be doing that.

And before you argue that the average raider doesn’t worry about the meta, take a look at WarcraftLogs. Trust me, the average raider worries about that.