Stop using Pay to Win Wrong!

The OP is right, boosts arent pay to win. Facts dont xare about feelings.

True. Good thing the facts support the argument that boosts are pay to win, then.

Having an instant level 58 in exchange for real life currency is an otherwise unobtainable paid advantage. No one else can earn these instant boosts in-game.

Now if you could pay gold to get an instant boost? You’d be right. Until then, the boosts are objectively pay to win, and as you say… facts don’t care about feelings.

3 Likes

I thought of this analogy:

Boosting is like skipping regular season in sports and getting a free entry to the playoffs. Those who worked hard in the regular season are pissed, but the thing is most people only care about winning the championship (end game content).

3 Likes

Sort of, but you should consider leveling to be more analogous to the qualifying matches in the championship series.

If someone is simply allowed into the championship without ever actually qualifying, it is obviously going to diminish the accomplishments of everyone else who actually had to earn their way in by qualifying first. All the people competing in the championship care about that.

It’s only the people who didn’t qualify (or never tried to qualify) who are in favor of skipping right to the finals.

Thing is, the disadvantages of the boost as compared to leveling to 58 has been talked about extensively and that list is quite long. The player who chose to level 1-58 may have taken longer to get to TBC content but they will be far better off gear wise, bag wise and gold wise than the person who chose to boost to 58. Skipping irrelevant content is not paying to win. If they wanted to play vanilla content theyd be playing Classic. The Vanilla fanbois are way too sensitive.

Your argument assumes people using the boost don’t have mains.

It’s not irrelevant at all. It’s part of the bloody game. It is the prerequisite content you are supposed to go through before reaching the content at the end. And yes, the time you save by skipping that is an advantage that can only be obtained by paying real life money, which objectively means it is pay to win.

But let’s take your premise as true for the sake of this argument…

If you think it is actually irrelevant, why do people still start at level 1? Why doesn’t everyone just start at level 58 and totally remove the boosts to begin with?

My argument was regarding the scenario of someone starting at 1 and someone boosting to 58.

One of the survey questions was asking about starting at 58 because what do the majority of people do when they hit 58 in vanilla content? They dont finish the vanilla content, they go through the portal to get to BC. You know when people will want to start level 1 alts and go through the vanilla slog again? During a mid xpac content drought, thats about it.

If vanilla content was important to TBC even back when it was retail TBC then Blizzard wouldn’t have been compelled to nerf xp to level in vanilla to get to TBC when it was live.

You love vanilla, I get it. You’re #nochanges, I get it. Vanilla content is irrelevant to classic TBC though.

And clearly that option lost because that isn’t what’s happening.

So answer my question. Why do people start at level 1 if the content is irrelevant? Why is the boost a paid service and once per account? Wouldn’t they want EVERYONE to skip the irrelevant content?

If there are some advantages to playing in Classic (which I’m definitely willing to agree exist), would it not be acceptable that everyone else simply start at level 58, same as the paid boosts would start?

This has nothing to do with vanilla. It has to do with leveling in TBC. Level 1-58 is part of the game. TBC being released doesn’t delete everything else from the game, but you’re acting as if it’s should because the only “relevant” content is the stuff at the end.

Okay, and that’s not an accurate reflection of how its going to play out in game. The gold and gear you would earn leveling up is irrelevant to someone who has a main to finance a level 58 boost. Truth be told, I don’t think you have a good understanding of the big picture. I don’t think you realize how many people who already have 60s with tons of gold, are going to use the boost to reroll to the a meta class, or increase their profession output. You don’t need to hit 70 to reach 375 on professions. You don’t need to even set foot in the outlands to start making money with a level 58, in ways that would quickly surpass the gold made while leveling up from level 1.

Clearly there was enough to support for the ability to have the option to skip to 58 became a reality.

Im not sure what you’re really trying to get it with the question of why do people start at level 1, even in retail you start at level 1. Every game you can level has a starting point. The more expansions you release and the more levels you add on the more likely it is people will not make it to the end because of the sheer amount of time it takes to get to where everyone else is.

The paid boost Im sure is Blizzards compromise to do the impossible and that is to try and satisfy everyone. If the only way you could play TBC was that you had to start at 58 then the hardcore vanilla players and #nochangers would never play it. You cant satisfy everyone.

And all of that content is there for you and everyone else to play. Its part of the game yes, but its not important to TBC content. Line up 10 players at lvl 70 in stormwind and you will not be able to identify which of the 10 have boosted. Its literally petty.

If you want to have that debate then we will have it. You’re replying to me while Im debating a completely different scenario. In your scenario that same person with the main with all the gold would have already leveled their meta class through mage boosts in vanilla in preparation of TBC. Once TBC launches they would already know the quickest way to level their draenai/blood elves with their gold to get to level 70 from level 1 the fastest. Congrats, you saved yourself 4 days by boosting.

I also disagree with your last point. We are talking about your position at level 58, someone who leveled to 58 will be significantly better off than the day you boosted to 58. That is undeniable fact. Whether you have a main and you’re funnelling stuff to your level 1 or you have a main and you’re funnelling stuff to your boost, you’re gonna be in a better situation at 58 if you levelled 1-58.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your argument for boosts existing is that people don’t want to play through the irrelevant content that predates TBC’s release.

If you believe that reason to be valid, why do we start at level 1? Why should people have to pay to skip the irrelevant content, and why can they only do it once?

If people should be allowed to skip past level 1, why even have all the level 1-58 content in the first place? Why not just start where you seem to believe people should?

Yep. So why isn’t it level 58 when TBC comes out?

Wow has never deleted its former expansions content and it never will. You can play shadowlands right now but still also start from level 1 in post cata vanilla content. That content, TBCs content, Wraths so on and so forth is irrelevant to Shadowlands content but that content is there for those who want to play it. Difference is you can pay to boost as many times as you want in retail. Would you feel differently if they allowed you unlimited boosts for Classic TBC? No. You’d be even further against the boosts. Im not for or against boosts but those who are coming back FOR TBC I can see why the boosts are being offerred. Vanilla content is here already and has been for 1.5 years and they arent playing it because they dont want to. Offerring it once is a compromise, nothing more nothing less.

level 58 is where TBC content becomes accessible. Nobody is disputing that 1-58 content is there but 58 is where the TBC content begins. Its unfortunate but without a boost you do have to go through the vanilla content 1-58 to get to where you want to be and everyone has to wait for you to get there.

Even in your own post you acknowledge that mage boosting still takes time. In fact, it takes about 3 days /played in an ideal scenario where you have uninterrupted access to competent booster. So 72 hours of playtime. Even with the prepatch experience nerf, it’s going to be about 3 weeks. And once again, this is in an ideal scenario where your character is being boosted during every moment of playtime.

You can try and downplay the advantage all you want, but it’s still there.

The advantage goes to the person starting from level 1 in terms of the position at 58 though. Yeah it took you that amount of time to get there but you won nothing by boosting to 58. You’ll get crap gear, a free mount (not one you picked, which risks you not liking the mount you got, another disadvantage between boosting and levelling yourself), a small pittance of gold and thats it. You saved time, time you most likely would not have chose to play the game anyway if you wanted to just play TBC.

Paying to save time isn’t the same as pay to win.

League of legends isn’t a pay to win game. Even tho you can pay to unlock all the heroes at once, those heroes are the exact same as using the in game currency gained for free by playing the game.

If those heroes you pay real money for are stronger than the heroes you can buy for free that would be pay to win, but they aren’t.

Pay to win refers to buying a power advantage on something, like items, equipment or weapons that provide a permanent power advantage over what you can get for free by playing the game.

Experience potions for example are not pay to win, once again saving time is not paying to win.

We don’t know what kind of gear they’ll get. But if past trends on retail indicate anything, it will more than likely be level 58 blues with decent stats. I won’t be surprised if boosted level 58s are better geared than your average level 58 right now. They can immediately head to the outlands and start earning greens that are better than a lot of endgame level 60 items, so I don’t really see the point here.

Why do you keep acting like you make a ton of gold from leveling up 1 to 60? By the time you’ve hit 60, maybe you’ll have a couple hundred after buying your 60% mount, and that’s if you dedicated some time to making money, which means you’re going to take longer to level. This is also considering that gold is inflated on classic and much easier to make than it was during actual vanilla.

As far as starting from level 1 or 58, the level one will only ever have an advantage if they start before the level 58 boost. In a scenario where a new player starts at 1, and another buys a boost, the later has a huge advantage. By the time the level 1 player is 58, the booster could easily be level 70 with max proffs and some heroic dungeon gear.

Ive been playing classic since it came out. A couple hundred gold and the mount you picked out is much better than the likely 25g (or less) you will get from the boost as well as having to settle with the mount Blizz chose for your race unless you got lucky and its the one you picked yourself. The gear you’re going to get from the boost is likely not going to be better than you’d get questing/dungeoning 1-58 lol.

I can go through the list of disadvantages the boost has compared to the person levelling 1-58 if you want but its pretty obvious.

I will give you that the TBC entry date is an advantage the boost has over the person levelling 1-58 but nobody is arguing that… Its pretty much the only advantage the boost gets.