Stop taking away stuff

im sure there are alot of voices out there that say what i say, and this was happening for a long time but still blizzard refuses to acknowledge it. But there are alot of people already saying “blizzard stop taking away stuff.”

with the newest update, people cant swap weapons in combat anymore. I really liked how i could switch to a sword and shield as my arms warrior and sometimes on my survival hunter, i sometimes switch to bow if i cant melee. Im sure there are good reasons to taking weapon swapping out but it reduces interactive play. Why should i have many playstyles and have some taken away? Its like taking away fried shrimp at a buffet table: Theres no reason to remove it, it doesnt improve anything, you are taking something good and removing it, you are limiting the choices of food at the buffet which makes it a less quality buffet because good buffets are all about variations of food available. and thats what fun gameplay is about, variations of playstyles

sorry if i dont make sense with my weird metaphor but it was the best way to relay what im trying to say. I just wish blizz would give it back and stop limiting my creativity on how i play the game…

3 Likes

The newest update as in 11.0? Coming out next week? Is it an intended change? Very strange if so.

Not that it will actively affect my life, since I cant remember the last time I swapped weapons in combat. But still it’s always been the way of things. Armor no, weapons yes. Weird to change that after 20 years.

i can see why they’d take it out. It kinda feels like cheating when your weapons have different enchants and want them both to proc, or weapons with special abilities like Dreambinder, Loom of the Great Cycle. I could be on the nose on how thats the source of the reason, but i hate it when my playstyle is “stripped down” and “bare”. that goes as well saying on how classes are like that too. They feel too simple.

1 Like

Ehhhh… Weapon swapping hasn’t been a winning play in a very, very long time. An arms warrior swapping to sword+shield or a survival hunter swapping to a bow is a major loss in more or less every way, so in a sense it is kind of idiot-proofing some things if people are still inclined to do it.

1 Like

1 Like

To be fair, survival has that Ranger talent which increases the damage of a bunch of ranged abilities, including steady shot for some reason. That’s very confusing!

1 Like

shot in the dark here, but i wonder if this was done so as not to maximize on maybe some hero talent unintended synergies? such as the armaments from the lightsmith hero talent? ability to grab a shield and then, in combat, weapon swap and pick up the sword?

maybe?

not justifying the change, trying to make sense

2 Likes

I didn’t know that was a thing. Since weapon swapping isn’t intended anyway, I really don’t care, but I guess it makes sense with cantrip weapons having longer than 30 second cd abilities tied to them, makes it so hot swapping doesn’t become some weird strategy.

I think that’s what we would all like. I can’t imagine this change is going to ruin anyone’s life. It’s just confusing in how random it feels. It seems like it would be a good topic for the devs to address directly. It’s always interesting when they open up about quirky design decisions.

If weapon swapping wasn’t intended, it wouldn’t be in the game.

1 Like

What do you mean “not intended?” It’s been a thing for 20 years. DPS Warriors would swap weapons in “ocrap” moments to sword and board if the tank would die.

Also, OP, I just asked SoulsoBreezy if this was a thing:

Edit: and if you’re trying to do it on that character… then yes, that’s what’s happening, as you’re using Dreambinder, which has an on-use ability.

3 Likes

i dunno. sigh it doesnt really make much of a difference i agree, but maybe im just feeling the same emnity of how this is a repeating mistake of blizzard and its always made alot of people angry…

otherwise i think i can learn to get used to it but whatever

Kirrahe?
Ain’t you got a speech about holdin’ lines to give somewhere?

1 Like

Amongst other things that people used to like when blizzard took it away, i really miss hunter pets having cool special abilities and back in burning crusade pets had a mastery, crit, or haste buff. I think crit was the wolf buff if i remember correctly…

Since probably Cata you have never had a reason to swap weapons. Basically since they put major cds or an interrupt behind having a shield equipped on a non-tank spec warrior and gave actual intended weapons for specs to use. You could do it, but that is not intended gameplay for any class.

Pets still have special abilities, they just don’t fill in the gap of “use pet for raid/party buff you don’t have” anymore and sometimes having the right pet can make a major difference (healing reduction on Assault for meme zerg strats, root break for M. Tindral, etc)

It’s mostly a warrior thing. Pop defensive stance and swap to sword shield for more defensives. (Pvp things)

2 Likes

No one weapon swaps anymore unless they are exploiting.

1 Like

I’ve got friends who do it in “ocrap” situations all the time. I’ve done it before, as well. Heck, I just did it the other day in Remix while in Heroic HoF when half the raid died and I needed to “tank” as Fury.

And even OP said he’s done it when needing to be ranged as Survival.

You and I have very different definitions of “intended.”

When people use “intended” around here, they’re usually referring to exploits, aka, unintended gameplay. You’re talking about what’s best for the specs due to stats, etc. That’s not what I’m talking about at all. I’m saying Blizz allows us to swap weapons. It’s not an exploit.

There is no way to exploit weapon swapping anymore. You cannot swap weapons that have procs or on use abilities, that’s been a thing for a while now.

1 Like

I think Steady Shot’s there because someone threw every damaging “Shot” in Survival’s spellbook onto the talent, but all the other affected skills get used.

That said, it’s still boosted in the TWW revamp, so maybe they just keep it for the flavor.

2 Likes