Stop removing portals

There is no adventure between point A and point B. Scaling saw to that. There is no reason to worry, no reason to skirt any mob, and no reason to fear that anything will happen to you other than you accidentally jump off of a mountain that is too high to safely land below.

There is no animal, humanoid, beast, or mechanical being that can cause you any threat, save for a world boss in the current expansion.

There is no adventure if there is no peril. There is only the unfolding of Blizzard’s script. And this current script is pretty lackluster.

3 Likes

i’m guessing you didn’t actually read the whole comment.
what she’s actually saying is that she plans on using monetary incentives to discourage people from interrupting her play time.

i’m also going to guess that you’ve never had or been friends with someone who had siblings. otherwise you’d be familiar with the “here’s $5, now leave me alone” thing.

5 Likes

If anything it’d be taking a Great Idea and Executing it Properly.

Portal Room + All the Portals.

3 Likes

I’m hoping nobody in this game is stupid enough to pay that much for a port, especially not to someone that’s so toxic, but I’ve been surprised before.

Clearly they do not have the right resources in the right place if there are issue with the current state of the game, so either moving resources (people) or eliminating non-essential and hiring essential resources would be the responsible thing to do if you want to improve your business. I took a look at the portal room on the PTR and it is lovely, however, I liked the other portal rooms just fine, and would rather the focus be put on adding depth to the game vs removing something that really doesn’t have a negative impact on the players experience.

3 Likes

There were a number of complaints issued about Bear Tartare being nerfed. It quickly died out because it got no traction, nor did it get a blue post as I recalled. This however did, so that says its a bigger issue in Blizzard’s eyes. Someone upstairs knows that its a hot topic so they sent a CM to say something. Sadly, they chose a man with the finesse of a sledgehammer.

4 Likes

Please don’t remove the portals. They are a major convenience. I frequently run the Wrath raids for mounts and such.

The next thing I know you will be removing the portals Druids have in the Dreamway to the places those go to.

1 Like

For King games, yes. Candy Crush and Paradise Bay are not subscription services. Their revenue comes from ads, and the longer you play, the more ads you watch. The more ads you watch, the more ads they sell. The more ads they sell the more money they make. See the difference in business model? They weren’t talking about WoW.

3600 posts since Bornakk’s last out of touch post. Guess he and Blizz have decided they’re just gonna completely ignore the outrage and not even try to amateurishly justify it anymore.

2 Likes

And there you go with the mockery and insults again. Also, that’s what you call an indian giver. They gave us a new “gift” and then took it away.

Nobody likes folks who do that.

6 Likes

I think significantly less portals will make it feel more alive and bigger. Taking away some is just a tease and probably why people are getting nasty. “Why you do this but leave this?” type of stuff. If the mean is to make the world feel bigger then institute a serious change of removing most portals. Leave most of them in faction capitals to keep them as a main hub but remove most others unless they get you back to Orgrimmar / Stormwind. Just my thoughts.

I have an older sister. Instead of being a toxic little jerk in game by saying “fork out the mega cash” and making mages look like greedy little jerks, one can simply IGNORE whispers. That’s an option.

I’ve received whispers on my mage for a port and I’ve ignored them. I see the requests in trade, I ignore them.

Just not responding IS an option. And if they’re rude about it, one can quickly put someone on ignore. No more whispers!

3 Likes

Good example. I’m assuming you’re single with no kids or familial obligations and therefore have the luxury of a two week vacation. Now imagine you’re a dad who has to burn vacation time several times a year so that the kids can visit the in-laws and parents. Instead of a couple of weeks you have a couple of days to make it to the convention and back. Are you still going to be happy with your four-day bus trip? No. You’ll take the plane because that’s your only feasible option. Now imagine that they remove that option and leave the bus as your only means of getting to the convention. Are you still going to attend? Probably not.

6 Likes

The world feels smaller when there are no portals. More time and less convenience getting somewhere, and the less likely I’ll go. Not only that, but putting everyone in 2 cities completely kills the others. Sure SW/Org and Bor/DA may be populated, but that leaves 12 major cities vacant. Not to mention the stupidity of keeping the Pandaria portal going to MoP. In the end (for me and others like me), it doesn’t make the world bigger. It makes the world have less incentive to go out.

A better idea imo: keep the non-major cities portals (CoT, Dalaran Crater, etc), add them to the portal rooms, and put those in ALL the major cities across ALL expansions. You still have to go to the cities so magi still have their uses, you can choose any city so you won’t be abandoning the others, and more people will still go out into other parts of the world instead of sitting in SW/Org and BfA only.

6 Likes

If you have to spend more time getting around, you’re less likely to travel. That’s a fact both in game and in real life. Our time is limited. Our time is valuable. If they decide that getting to certain places takes longer because of no good reason, fewer people will go there.

And that will shrink your personal world. It won’t bring life back to the game.

If you WANT the world to feel alive, there needs to be reasons, from 1 to max, to visit a given zone. Right now, once you finish a zone, save Holiday Events or Archaeology, there is ZERO reason to return to zones like say Redridge.

9 Likes

I’d like to say Blizzard knows what they’re doing but they did give us Azerite and then burned down the most iconic and unique capital city for the sake of a plot that is weaker than the arguments that PVP vendors needed to be removed.

4 Likes

Actually they destroyed TWO cities. Teldrassil burned to a crisp and Lordaeron left so heavily plagued even Forsaken can’t enter it.

And while I may not main Horde, Lordaeron had a nice visual about it.

5 Likes

I still don’t understand this argument. How does it make the world feel more alive, if you’re impeding people from reaching the parts of the world they want to go to, and inconveniencing them if they choose to set hearth anywhere but SW/Org?

How does having four portals (that I can think of: Hyjal, CoT, Silithus, Uldum) on a land mass the size of Kalimdor make it feel small? Or two portals per faction (starting village/Shrine) in a land the size of Pandaria?

Is a world that “feels larger” a benefit if that world also feels unmanageable and most of it is never visited because the incentives don’t match the effort of getting there?

11 Likes

The post you quoted specifically mentioned “limiting” fun, not “creating” fun.

Anyhoo, for me, the issue is time and alts. I like to take my alts places. Run them through the Darkmoon Faire, do holiday stuff, run old instances, what have you. This, to me, is fun. Then I take them back to wherever they were and quest around, do pet battles, gathering professions, Archaeology, what have you. This, to me, is also fun.

If I feel like all my time is being used up on travel, I get discouraged. I’m not having fun. Doing stuff in game is fun. Wasting time on a flight Path for the 12th time in a row is not fun.

Portals get me to where I want to be playing faster, so I play more. Not having portals will more than likely equal me logging out after playing only one or two characters. Thinking about the long travel times will eventually discourage me from logging in at all. From there it’s just a small step to cancelling my subscription. Note: I am not threatening to cancel anything. I’m just saying this rolling snowball could lead to me finding better things to do with my time than waiting to get off a flight path so I can actually play the game.

10 Likes

Wish I could remember who said it first on this topic (another thread). But they said there is Active Play (killing mobs, exploring dungeons, you get the picture) and passive play (travel between locations where nothing is happening, being on a bird, etc, etc).

The removal of portals and other convenient means of getting around can easily increase the amount of Passive Play we do which leads to players being Bored, Frustrated and Annoyed.

This of course is a Bad Thing(tm pending).

6 Likes