Stop removing portals

The only portal that went to the EPL that I can remember is the one that goes to the Paladin Class Hall beneath Light’s Hope.

Edit: Oh, and pre-Legion Acherus for death knights with Death Gate.

No, and that is why I don’t go there any longer. If there were a portal dropping me off somewhere closer, I would prob start farming it again. That is not my example of a change in behavior due to this change. It is just an example of situations where travel time has caused me to stop doing something in game. Removing certain portals as they are doing just creates that issue on a larger amount of activities. The lack of convenience will result in me just not doing the stuff in that area.

1 Like

Name calling is unecessary. That being said, sometimes it’s the small things that make the biggest difference.

For example: The BfA AP works very similar to the Legion AP. The biggest difference in acquisition is that you have nothing fall into your bags, and nothing to click on. This is probably the most annoying thing about BfA AP. You literally get nothing but a 2nd XP bump when you do things, and when you’re level 120, you get nothing but that.

It seems so small, but it’s the negative reinforcement that matters in the long haul. “minutes” for you is nothing when it’s a one time thing. When someone has to fly to somewhere near CoT and then fly to CoT and then take the drake to the basement, over and over and over, it’s a negative reinforcement impact.

These are things Blizzard hasn’t been great about avoiding as of late, but I agree with you that it’s not very plausible that this would be done intentionally to please investors.

4 Likes

Isn’t the Dalaran Crater portal the closest for Alliance to EPL? That’s being removed too.

I see Professor Putricide mentioned (my ALL TIME FAVORITE boss), I upvote. Can’t help it!
Also, good point, sir.

Bro, I’ve been called a troll like 50x in ~12 hours. I don’t think the earth is going to split in two if I say someone’s idea (not the person) is “daft”. Let’s get a grip here. :slight_smile:

That being said, sometimes it’s the small things that make the biggest difference.

For example: The BfA AP works very similar to the Legion AP. The biggest difference in acquisition is that you have nothing fall into your bags, and nothing to click on. This is probably the most annoying thing about BfA AP. You literally get nothing but a 2nd XP bump when you do things, and when you’re level 120, you get nothing but that.

Honestly, I felt that at the beginning of BfA as well, with both the AP drops and the rep tokens (that aren’t tokens anymore) from the table. It was nice to have that tangible thing you earned, then could redeem. Sometimes you had a bagful of artifact power to redeem after a day’s worth of WQ farming.

But that was last fall, and I hadn’t given it much of a thought again til right now, eventually people just shrug and become accustomed to the new methods.

Whataboutis… nm.

Seriously though, I still get grumpy about the lack of tokens. Like with any silver elite, you go to loot and you see the AP in the mobs inventory, but then nothing transfers to your bag, nothing is looted in the log, and there’s nothing to click on.

Maybe this is the source of everyone’s angst with BfA afterall. I would probabably actually do Island Expeditions if they were retooled to drop items from the silvers and events, and then dropped rep/gold/new currency at the end from a chest, that you looted. Even if it was dubloons that ended up on your currency tab, the change to the rest of the mobs dropping loot would keep me interested. As it is, I guess I’ll never advance my new order halls on any of my toons.

You can probably at least agree that players don’t like losing things in the game. They removed the ability to do the Hunter epic quest, but I still have Rhok in the bank. Why didn’t they just remove it? It’s on my xmog page. Why wouldn’t they just remove it as legacy? My immediate reaction is, “WTF HOW DARE YOU!?!” Even though I never use it, and never will. This is the same reaction that people have when they pull other stuff out of the game. At least that’s where these reactions about portals all start.

Those reactions then lead to people thinking about all the time they’ve spent using the item and how it’s benefitted them in the past. It might be irrational but it’s true.

At least in the case of portals, people can point to specific, objective, use that the removal of feels adversarial in nature.

4 Likes

Ok, so I’ll admit the PTR client doesn’t run so great for me. It crashes and tends to freeze my system so I hadn’t actually seen all the changes myself… that was until I watched Hazelnutty’s review of the upcoming changes.

I knew about practically all portals being removed from old expansions, especially the ones in the Dalaran underbelly that were super useful. But the Exodar and Ironforge portals removed from Boralus? Presumably the Silvermoon and Thunder Bluff portals removed from Dazar’alor? Seriously? and the new portal hop point is Ashran? I’m guessing they either forgot those were there or plan to remove them once they’re done renovating the place.

Glad I’m enjoying my mage re-rolls because… wow. This will sure make the world feel bigger alright… bigger, emptier, and more abandoned. And the Legion portal goes to Azsuna? Why Azsuna?!? Are they going to take the portals out of the Mage Order Hall too?

At first I was like “Finally, a proper portal hub!”… but the more I see of it the more I hate it. It’s just a pretty room with less than half the usefulness we had before.

Enjoy what we have while it lasts before the portal nerf replaces it in a week.

Hazelnutty’s video “14 Cool Things in Patch 8.1.5!”

6 Likes

Pretty and also able to be properly phased so you will not see or be able to use the portals that they don’t want you to use or have. One room to funnel them all and in the city bind them.

8 Likes

Let me give an example of convenience from real life .I had to attend a convention in Las Vegas one year.This is point B.I had limited time to get there so i took 2 week vacation.Starting from A i decide to take a bus across country ,which took 4 days ,when i could’ve taken a flight and be there in 30-45 minutes.This where two types of people want to reach point B.The fast or the slow.
Along the way on this trip there were alot of stops for photos and rest ,food etc. it was an adventure well worth the time and money.I would guess this is how wow is heading.if i took the flight i would get there sure but i wouldn’t have had the adventure ,but if i get to Las Vegas early i would’ve time to enjoy the convention more.
In the long run to enjoy B is would be more enjoyable if i was there faster for time restrictions.

I was on the PTR last night, Dazar’alor had all the same portals that it has on live realms. Not sure what video you were watching or what build it was based on, but 29558 doesn’t have a Dazar’alor portal room without SMC/TB portals.

Yes, the new portal room has all the portals listed, and the Thrallmar mage that supposedly sends you to Hellfire didn’t have any options for me, just some stupid dialog text.

They may take them out even if we did do a the quest for them.

… and enough to justify the IMMEDIATE return of the option to “ignore” a poster.

1 Like

Many players have done the adventurous trip between A and B already, probably multiple times and probably before the content became dozens of levels too low to be relevant to our characters. Over the years, our needs outgrew any adventure that in-between content offers.

7 Likes

Transport Tycoon/Transport Tycoon Deluxe/OpenTTD
and the great thing is that you can play OpenTTD on a $60 Raspberry Pi setup (but the $120 setup is better)

Instant travel will make things quicker and prevent people from going AFK for the 12 minutes it takes to FP across the continent, but knowing Acti-Blizz, they’ll rent out the loading screens to Microsoft, Aspen Dental, Hertz, or some other company willing to pay SuperBowl Ad prices to get their commercials wedged between players and the content they want to run.

oh sh&%… i hope i didn’t give those schmucks any ideas…

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a STRONG indicator of player dissatisfaction with BfA? if the players have to be “herded” into it instead of being drawn into it? You may have uncovered the heart of the issue …

I linked the video in the post you replied to. Watch it for yourself.

However, to verify for myself I just loaded up the PTR client and can confirm the Exodar and Ironforge portals are back up in Boralus so maybe they are listening or maybe it was just a glitch when Hazel was recording.

I walked into the Boralus portal room on live once, and the SW and Silithus portals were there, but IF and Exodar were not. I suspect they’re in a separate code block so they can be more easily removed next expansion, but I doubt they’ll take them out intentionally while BfA is still current content.

1 Like

What you’re advocating is called profiteering. You’re benefiting while others suffer. I’m thinking you’re not actually against it because you’ve realized you can actually make some money off this bad idea.

1 Like

That’s true ,we did it all over and over,we remember the sites by name and repeated experiences.By the fifty time we would want to pass that adventure to newer experiences or set our sights on the goals ahead even if it is older content we want to enjoy B as a goal.

1 Like