Stop. Redeeming. Evil

I dunno what in my post gave you the impression that I disagree with this. Blizzard uses dubious Horde characters to villainbat them then remove them from the narrative and say that the Horde is perfectly clean now, and then repeats the process two xpacs later.

15 Likes

At this point, it’s already decided whether aye or nay.

Illidan sought Vindication, not redemption. And Xera paid the price for its assumption and presumption.

6 Likes

After ten years. It would be quit a show If he was helping us beat Arthas after TBC.

The Horde was never perfectly clean after MoP, and I doubt Blizz would have ever suggested such. Sylvie and Wix were never anything but dubious. At this point, the only “aggro” character left on the Horde side is Geya’rah; and since she’s the victim of a nearly successful cultural genocide … they’d be hard pressed to villain bat her; even if she was more developed.

People keep saying this, but Illidan was never redeemed. We didn’t forgive him, Velen and Khadgar who’d never been wronged by him never forgave him. His brother and Tyrande never forgave him. If you do the quest line where you deliver his final messages to the pair Mal is nonplussed at the idea of forgiving Illidan and Tyrande is downright hostile to it.

Illidan Stormrage was not redeemed. We used him because he was slightly less of a jerk then the Legion was and he wasn’t around anymore when that conflict ended so there was no further judgement placed on him. But if he ever comes back he won’t be getting welcomed in like an old friend.

8 Likes

I highly doubted Blizzard would give the redemption pass to someone who outright committed genocide against an entire race and was pretty much a villain for an entire expansion.

Then I remembered WoD

3 Likes

I never said anything about being redeemed.

My intent with the comment was how they hand waved his past actions.

Vindication is the word of the year for blizzard.

Not redemption. Even Arthas gets that now. And so too shall Sylvanas. Those two deserve each other.

Illidan too. Vindicaar was even the name of the ship! Vindication. Not redemption.

1 Like

The day Godfrey put a shotgun shell in the back of her skull in Cata should’ve been the last we’ve seen of her. Would’ve been more memorable than the horrible retcons they had to pull to justify everything she’s currently doing.

2 Likes

By redemption.

I think no one is beyond redemption. But in another hand, one need to recognize their crimes face punishment, before they can atone them.

‘See? she was right all alone. She want to free the universe from X by king us all’ - that’s not a redemption.

5 Likes

Well I’d have to say again, they don’t. His backstory is not the most relevant story beats to Legion but what’s there isn’t hand waved. More context is given so that we can see that it isn’t just ego driving Illidans actions, but the ego is still very much there. Be it at Black Temple, Black Rook Hold or even later on the Vindicaar.

The only one ever down playing those actions is Xe’ra. And she ends up getting blown to pieces for that misplaced faith.

3 Likes

I think this is all a gross misinterpretation of Sylvanas’ character, and how people’s fates actually play out in the story.

Sylvanas wasn’t condemned to the maw for evil deeds. Almost nobody is. Your morality will not save you or condemn you in a universe where innocent souls are regularly sacrificed by warlocks so that they can summon their demon friends… and cruel mass murder types are spared by the noble Ven’thyr.

Instead of this massive wall of text, you could just have “CAN WE PLZ KILL SYLVANAS BLIZZ” and that would save everyone a lot of trouble.

10 Likes

At least forsaken players can be happy once blizzard justifies her and the genocide she committed on innocents right? I mean, they wont have to complain how they lost more than the Kaldorei once Sylvia is redeemed,

And I’m going to wash my mouth of the bile that just came up.

4 Likes

This is admittedly bias from who I’ve heard it from, but most of the “I want Sylvanas redeemed” opinions I’ve read is more of a scorched-earth-accelerationism story thing because what they liked about the character is already destroyed and there’s no fixing it.

17 Likes

she wont be redeemed
but she will still win

1 Like

Ehh…?

The design of the Shadowlands punishes evil deeds in life. The whole point of Revendreth is rehabilitation of evil souls, who then go on to be productive members of Shadowland society. Those warlocks? yeah, next stop Revendreth to pay for those crimes until they repent. Sylvanas should not of just directly gone there. No one is supposed to just go there, unless you refuse to repent in Revendreth.

That of course means we are stuck wondering how she got hijacked; personally I suspect the Val’kyr were already working for Zovval.

2 Likes

CAEDMUN WANT SHOOT BAD TREE ZOMBIE LADY.

/body seemed unclear, apparently, so here’s a second sentence. I’m not entirely certain how the above is unclear.

2 Likes

Now see here, you. Sylvanas did say she wanted to save the Forsaken. Nathanos pointed out that her salvation may not be what all Forsaken want. But she did think of saving others. Perhaps she figured her Hell would be the Hell for all who followed her orders, so in order to absolve them, she would have to take out the judge and jury.

I don’t say I agree, but I do say I can understand the point of view.

That remains to be seen. As I stated, she did seek to save the Forsaken. And she does tell Saurfang:

“I trusted you.”

Before she blasts him to smithereens. She may have sought to use use the Forsaken and their Horde as her Army to save the Multiverse, but when they got all obstinate, she went to a back up plan.

3 Likes

Not neccesarily “happy”, I’m pretty sure nobody is thrilled about the story direction chosen by the writers. Nor did we want to spend another expansion arguing about Sylvanas on Story Forum.

Regardless of who they were working for, I think it’s very likely Annehylde the Caller personally took Sylvanas to the Maw.
Whether it was Annehylde’s own idea to show Sylvanas the depravity of the Maw, or all just part of Dr.Evil’s evil plan to “trick” Sylvanas, or something else, I guess we will find out.

6 Likes