Stop making node defense type battle grounds

Stop making bgs focused on defending key locations marked with a flag: arathis basin, deepwind gorge, the burning crusade themed map etc.

It is very boring to stand at horde farm all game and fight 2 times. People hate this and it shows. People dont queue up to pvp for boring guard duty. They want to engage other players and have it out. There is a problem when the map design is in contrast to what players find fun.

It also creates animosity between selfless players who stand at farm and selfish players who run off looking for fights. Because The main objective is very boring in these maps, people willing to follow the objective have a hard time dealing with knuckleheads who are useless yet get to have all the fun. In Flag running maps the objective is not so boring, so, despite useless people, you can still have fun trying for the obj.

5 Likes

I’m brain farting the name, but I feel like the one that is like crossbreed between AB and WSG was actually pretty good. I think hold the position things work, if it has a health mix of capture the flag in with it. As it gives reason to be both trying to defend a position and trying to control the middle.

However, I feel like more clear cut objective PvP matches would be more fun. I sometimes wonder what the ICC Gunship battle would feel like as a PvP match. The generals of which of course would end up being a player which gets beefed up to the max. I feel like these “Player is the boss” PvP games could be extremely fun. I can only imagine what AV could feel like if the NPCs bosses was actually players. Perhaps the General could be voted on during the preparation phase.

But yes, I agree with you. We need more game modes for PvP besides the same old thing redone.

EotS?

1 Like

Ah yes that one, probably my favorite BG… it’s weird i forgot the name lol

1 Like

As someone who likes to play as a defensive sniper, I enjoy these BGs. I like to let them think that the base was left unattended (camouflage) and then BOOM! They’re gonezo.

4 Likes

Nah, I like PvP games that require a bit more strategy than just blindly poking each other in the chops.

If you want aggressive no nonsense action, that’s what Arena is for.

4 Likes

Arathi Basin could use a 20 player limit.

Battler for Gilneas is perfect with 3 nodes.

Eye of the storm is amazing because it covers both domination and ctf, and did it 100 times better than deepwind gorge.

Seething shore had the right mindset with rotating nodes that need protecting.

Im loving the pvp brawls that change up each bg and i can only hope for a ctf type game thats 40v40, flags once dropped cant be picked up again (to prevent turtling) and has a 20 cap limit.

Map size should be bigger than AB, with 3 seperate control points (eg - Lm/BS/Mines) that control a gy each (making fighting for control in the mid mean something).

This BG would be better IMO if the terrain was easier to navigate and you didn’t parachute down.

IoC needs to die in a fire. Sieges should be put in a graveyard as far as Epic BGs are concerned.

Hence me saying right idea, its to ‘battle royal’ for me with the parachuting.

1 Like

I personalty prefer long drawn out battles like Korraks Revenge before they changed the repeatable quests and everyone just started blitzing again. I would very much like another AV like BG where it is extremely difficult to pull off a blitz and the BG could last and hour or 2.

Every pre patch before the AV scaling changes at the end of Legion was amazing and I spent some nights until 6 in the morning in AV’s when the NPC’s were 10 levels higher then everyone and it took 10 people to kill them and take a tower, and that was without interference from Alliance. Those AV’s lasted near 5 hours. Korrak’s before everyone started blitzing was a very great experience and I want more of that from the Epic BG’s.

3 Likes

Thats great for every once in a while, but how long before the players get sick of 5 hour long battles for no reward and stop quing giving you 5 hours of q time and then 1 game for 8 hours of gameplay. Maybe make it a 5 or 10 man BG you can q for as a party.

So we should have a mode where you stand anywhere besides the objectives to score points.

For a BG like that I would say keep it out of random queue. Also im not a fan they removed any and all rewards from specific queues. Can’t even get marks which are only good for Mog anyway.
If the marks are there and the honor is worth it for being in a BG for a longer time people will continue to queue for it im sure. Mostly just a balance of time/reward for most people. For me tho im happy with no reward just playing that long BG for fun.

PvP vendors are coming back, xmogs are amazing, potions/feasts from marks turn the tide of battles, using them to purchase your weekly seals - i play bg’s for a bit of fun and having it work towards conquest rewards for the week. I cant stand arenas and i dislike the players limits/bg choice on rated.

1 Like

I kind of get this. I’m usually the one who stays behind to guard, but darn it if my hunter isn’t the best to leave alone at a flag. Shame on you my fellow bg-ers …my hunter needs a little support…tyvm.

1 Like

I’d probably play a lot more bg’s if they added a solo que. NO groups, period.

Im not asking for dumb down bgs without objectives or strategy. Im askiing for bgs that have engaging objectives. Guard duty at a node where you can actually, and frequently do, spend 80% of the time standing arounding doing nothing is not fun and engaging.

A good example is that parachute and mine the geysers map. Like it or not, that map keeps everyone engaged and fully participated. No one needs to take one for the team and do the boring job.

Id even go as far as to say a pure brawl bg would be more fun than arathi basin, even for you- yeah i went there. People love buzz words like strategy and depth until they are the ones strategically guarding the boring nodes all game.

As bad as they are, they are infinitely better than the azerite collector or hotmogu.

You know who is going to win those in the first 30 seconds of the match.

yet they canned Strand of the Ancients, which was often referred to as ‘Player vs Wall’

I’ve always enjoyed guarding the Lumber Mill because of its high elevation. While i’m up there, I can stealth near the cliff edge and view the entire battleground. It allows me to spy on the other team and make call-outs to my team about what’s about to get attackes. It allows me to be actively involved in the game even while im just sitting in a bush.

1 Like