Stop asking for the Alliance to take dark turns or be the bad guys

They already have these animosities in the old books and rts games Blizz just swept it all under the rug when it came to WoW.

9 Likes

Want the Alliance to be antagonistic to the Horde and remain in character?

Anduin: (on his soapbox) People of the Horde, I offer you this chance to end all the years of bloodshed. Lay down your weapons and join the Alliance and together we can usher in a new age of peace!

Warchief: Thanks but no thanks. On our honor, we vow never to repeat the wars of our past.

Anduin: On your honor? I’ve heard that before. Time and again, we fight together and separate and wait for the war to start again. No more. I ask again, join us. Willingly. Or suffer the fury of the Night Warrior. The choice is yours.

Boom. Alliance remains in character but are clearly the aggressors.

3 Likes

And frankly that stuff was painfully generic and contributed nothing useful to the stories. Along with the paladins of the earliest novels being made out to hate mages for “religious reasons” or something. The interesting conflicts came from the movers and shakers politically leveraging and jockeying for their own national interests, not from the characters being one-dimensional fantasy bigots.

We got our fill of that from Garithos, and frankly the point behind his idiocy was made well enough to not require a retread.

3 Likes

Blizzard has changed the Alliance from being this group of nations with interesting background to a generic White Knight factions. I mean the Alliance is more morally good than most Neutral factions at this point.

They missed the point that the Alliance was its most interesting when it was presented to struggle to keep its morality when facing dark foes. Arthas and the 2nd war all had lots of grey moments when it came to dealing with its foes. Sometimes the Alliance had its grey moments in order to win.

Some of the most interesting moment and the most discussed like the purge and Stormheim are because they are grey moments for the Alliance. Blizzard seem to be unwilling to give the alliance any more of these this expac. A whole expansion of the alliance pulling off these moments would be cool as it would bring a lot more interesting discussion.

My Dream would be Turaylon taking over the Alliance and leading us north to reclaim the Lost northern kingdoms calling in the Debt that Stormwind owes Lordearon. Genn would assist in the invasion to take back Gilneas(finally). Danath to take back Stormguarde. Alleria and Vereesa might want to forcibly invade Silvermoon to bring it back to the Alliance. We could have got a war campaign with the Alliance invading North and the Horde on the defensive but losing to the large Alliance crusade.

the Hordes story should be about what they would be willing to do to Win. With Sylvanas intending on using the Plague the Horde refuses to fight that way and prevents it being used instead fighting tooth and Nail, with honor to protect whats is theirs. Having teh Horde deal with Sylvanas in House would have been better, Even having Nathanos standing against sinking to her methods.

1 Like

First, I will post, request or ask any damn thing I want. If I had my druthers, I’d kill off a ton of your lore characters, give you a merry-go-round of leaders then in a few years ask if you would like a little stability for your faction.

I am REALLY getting tired of this rehashed story crap Blizzard has been giving the Horde, and worse off is whiny Alliance players calling it story bias. I’d gladly give you guys this whole story arc if it got Blizzard off our backs.

The Horde hasn’t has a moment of peace since Mists, we’ve either been in the midst of a civil war, rebellion, or getting slaughtered by End of the World Villians, or getting beat repeatedly in the head with the villian bat.

Enough is enough. Time for the Alliance to get their hands a little dirty.

9 Likes

Problem is Alliance can literally do anything they want now and still would not be the villain.

The Horde has given them carte blanche to retaliate anyway they want.
But Blizzard would never allow it.

2 Likes

Don’t worry. Even though they very much could make the Alliance the bad guys, history makes it seem like they probably won’t.

So much this. When people bring up WC2 to justify the Lawful Stupid bend, they need to go back and play WC2 and read the novels from that period.

The Alliance was best when it actually was an alliance.

2 Likes

This is the attitude a villian would have.

You are already part way there.

2 Likes

we don’t need to be the bad guys to get justice.

we would be justified to do pretty much anything. and it would probably won’t be enough.

and please god blizzard i don’t want to save the horde, i want to exterminate them.

i don’t think that kind of story truly works in a mmo setting.
well we would need actual competent writers.

one of the problems is that 1 ) blizzard alienates the characters too much with anduins ideals (ie being the same character)
and 2 )the unity vs the common enemy (the horde) is bigger than ever before.

but maybe blizzard is making their way to the black empire destroying both factions, that would surely end the debate on both sides.

Well, I can tell you exactly how a Black Empire expac will go.

“Champion/Hero, the Old Gods have defeated us, we must retreat and regroup! Magni is calling for you, better go see him!”

“Champion, i have found a relic that the Titans left behind just in case the Old Gods resurfaced. It’s the only thing capable to defeating them. Power it up by killing their minions! Good Luck Champion!”

Then we proceed to power up another one off item and use it to kill them.

10 Likes

According to Valdrane any retaliation against the Horde is a villainous action.

I never said that. I disagree that the Alliance has carte blanche to do ANYTHING they want and not be the bad guys.

You want to remain the good guys, you gotta stay within the parameters of what make a good guy a good guy.

3 Likes

We can do absolutely anything.
The Horde is not above punitive retaliation.

1 Like

well, a good guy punish the bad guy.
we could nuke orgrimmar and say that it was for azeroth and still be good guys.

1 Like

No you can’t. When you do that you cease to be a hero and become a villian. It’s a classic trope used throughout the ages to show how the mighty can fall.

5 Likes

What if the Alliance has secretly been part of the Horde all this time. Anduin looks like a blood elf in disguise.

In serious mode, both have done evil things in BFA. Maybe Nzoth is just trying to open our eyes to futility of good vs. evil when it’s life vs. the void.

One is a lot less subjective.

Aragorn was a hero and he killed countless orcs.
What you say doesn’t make any sense.

Hurin killed so many Orcs he ended up burying himself in a pile of Orc Corpses.

A great man we must all aspire to be.