Still why no central and mountain time servers?

I am still left wondering why. I know the data centers are on the east and west coast, but why not give an official central and mountain time server?

4 Likes

The East data center is in Chicago which is basically central.

11 Likes

And Mountain time zone is only an hour away from Pacific, and very few people live there, relatively.

6 Likes

Majority of the population in the us is in pst or est, and the times work for those who aren’t, it’s not a problem at all.

3 Likes

That’s a very good question. Don’t expect anyone to have the answer though.

The servers are in Los Angeles and Chicago, so the EST people are playing 1 an hour “away” or 3 hours away.
Mountain has 2 within 1 ‘hour’.
The Chicago server is simply set to Eastern time.

That being said, personally in Ohio with an internet speed of around 110 down/11 up my ping to Chicago was in the 20’s and Los Angeles was in the 60’s (Australia was in the 300’s).

So i chose Eastern but it really wouldn’t make a difference to play on Pacific.

edit: spelling

Living in Mountain Timezone, I prefer playing on a Pacific Timezone Server then a Eastern Timezone Server. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m surprised too. If they did open these time zones up, maybe servers like Herod, which are over full, will have some xfers off to these servers?

There’s no reason. The latency from being an extra timezone away from these servers won’t be high enough to affect the gameplay of a game from 15 years ago.

2 Likes

Back at the original launch, when many were still playing on dial-up, there were servers in every timezone to help with latency but in modern times the data centers in Chicago and LA handle everything without issue

1 Like

That isn’t even close to true. pst has 53 million and cst has 92.3 million-almost twice as many.

also this is just the us and doesn’t even include central or south america which have 0 people in pst

The current Dalaran server is set to Eastern Time.

But, when you hear the clock strike on the hour (say in SW), it rings Pacific Time.

Never have really wrapped my head around that one.

This, EST is not far from us CST folks. It’s no big deal honestly. I play on some EU servers in retail and have a ping of like 50ish lol

Connections aren’t what they were in 2004 folks. Unless you live in BFE, I guess. And I feel you guys, I grew up in ‘middle of nowhere west Texas.’ But I’m past that now.

It’s really not necessary to play in the same timezone you’re in. One hour off is fine. I’ve played on west coast servers several times (unknowingly at first, because sometimes we derp) and like, it really didn’t impact my experience in any way. Anyone in MST, CST, or Arizona ought to be fine sticking to their closest adjacent, I am certain.

1 Like

People keep talking about ping. Nobody is asking them to move the data centers. They’re only talking about the actual time.

People have been having a coronary for the past week about Eastern PvP servers, but lord forbid Central time ask for a single server in our Time Zone. lol

2 Likes

i never cared about server location… guilds recruit at basically the same time regardless of server

between 6-9 and 10-12 mst

Because ALL the cool kids live on the coasts.

Tru story, bro.

/moo :cow:

Fly over country…

No, I’m kidding. Not sure it makes any difference on the data center though.

The EST servers are located in the Chicago server racks.

Technically they are CST but marked as EST because they are the closest thing to EST

1 Like

I actually don’t care about the ping. 8pm EST is too early for me to get on, so raids at that time are out. And raids at 8pm PST are too late.

1 hour a week makes a difference, 2 is amazing.

I’m on pacific now, for this reason, but we’ll see how long it sticks.

1 Like