Still think layering will be gone by phase 2?

In fairness, Blizzard shouldn’t permit ANY server to have more layers than their internal estimates tell them will evaporate by Phase II. If Blizzard screwed up, that will be how. No server should be so crowded that it won’t shink down enough to get rid of layers.

1 Like

Come on Elo, we both know there can’t possibly be a condensation of layering if there are still 10k people on each server. One WOW world was never meant to hold that many.

Not to mention the world breaking effects of having 10-20 layers as you level affecting the sense of community and seeing the same allies and enemies as you level up.

4 Likes

Hard to make that decision when early naming is going to be going likely from now until launch. The servers will only get more full from here on so more servers are likely. We’ll see though.

There has to be a server cap even with layers. It should lock at that point and another server open up.

2 Likes

Uh no, a few weeks was never on the table.

It was PROMISED to be gone by Phase 2. That is the ONLY promise they’ve ever officially made.

If it was no longer needed in a weeks of launch, then it may be gone sooner on the servers that no longer need it. That was not a promise, that was a hypothetical based on server populations absolutely dying (80-90% loss) within a week or two. Which isn’t happening.

the only promise is that it WILL be gone by Phase 2. And Phase 2 will not happen until it’s gone.

AKA…expect about 6 months before Phase 2, 3-4 if you’re REALLY lucky and the populations stablize pretty quickly so they can start work on the long term population solutions.

Aka how many new servers do we need to hold the overflow without spreading it too thin for when people do inevitably leave anyway.

I have a feeling that we’re gonna see double size servers just as a safety measure, since even if you lose half your population over the next year, you’ll still have a full vanilla server worth of population (and still be well over the 800 mininum needed for a vanilla server to function at a tolerably healthy level).

And unlike launch, having a 5-6k server isn’t a problem past launch, especially since about 50-60% of those people will never hit cap, so the bulk of that 5-6k would be scattered across the mid-game, and about 20% in the early and 30% in the late.

At which point they’ll start capping the maximum number of layers lower and using queues and free transfers to get the populations to a reasonable level, as well rebalancing any existing servers that have dropped much lower than wanted. This part is promised, Layering is just to give the populations time to get past the tourist phase so they know exactly how many servers they actually need, and don’t go overboard trying to chase a projection and ultimately spreading people too thin, like happened the first time.

And Phase 2 won’t until that process is done.

2 Likes

#IonPromised

This was never “officially” or unofficially promised. A few weeks was.

All the Devs were “Well of course it’ll be gone before Phase 2 World Bosses”. Like it was a given.

3 Likes

I think ultimately the players and the developers have really no idea how popular or sustaining Classic will be. The developers seem to be operating on the idea that there’s going to a huge exodus of players who are just going to ‘check it out’ and then leave after a short time.

That’s why you have layers instead of more servers and why they say things like it will be gone by phase 2. Because they think so many players will leave that the problem will sort itself out.

1 Like

Imagine the complete s-show that’s going to erupt on these forums when the people who are so adamantly anti-layering and rolled on Faerlina get put into 8k+ queues.

Need to pick a proper scotch to sip while i watch that and play while they’re sitting in line.

3 Likes

I don’t think so

And you’re crucifying them months in advance for something that hasn’t happened yet. Get a grip.

4 Likes

May I offer Lagavulin 16-year for serious smoky flavor or Oban Little Bay for something a bit more mellow?

2 Likes

Don’t put this on the players. If blizzard said their infrastructure could handle no layering by phase 2 they’re obligated to follow through

1 Like

She can have all the words she wants about it. Overall Kazzak and Azuregos have more say than she does.

1 Like

Myself, I tend to wait until a promise is actually broken before I get mad at someone for breaking a promise.

4 Likes

That is my favorite brand. I’m particularly fond of the Distiller’s Edition. Perfect peat and you can literally smell the smokey flavor.

1 Like

Given that the Retail players get it ‘for free’ with the shared sub, that’s a fairly good expectation.

1 Like

They still have to follow through, sure. I’m just going to be laughing all the way to Bloodsail Buccaneers as the Herod players demand that layers be returned.

Wouldn’t it be great if they actually gave us proper servers and we didn’t have to worry about layering? Does layering solve the problems adequately that actually making vanilla-like servers without layering would cause?

2 Likes

You can rest in phase 2 while I am getting the aggro.

Yes. It avoids 500 dead realms in a month.