State of the Mage is down bad

All three mage specs are currently mid-range to low, at best. Idk where ppl get we are good.

Plus blizz only listens to streamers and the 1%. That’s why we get nerfed, bc idiot streamers hand pick tanks that specifically pull to their advantage, unlike 99% of the playerbase.

To be clear, you HAVE to have a tank pull in a specific fashion for any of the mage specs to do acceptable dmg.

2 Likes

And the issue is,why bring a mage? I’d invite 2 warlocks and a hunter over most classes any day right now … Those 2 classes can smash a key,and do 4-8 k more overall dps in the dungeon. We are good at boss fights,but overall in the dungeon we lack what those 2 classes shine in.

Revert [Frozen Orb] cdr nerf.

6 Likes

Hey, i’m here to say i was wrong, mage is bad, be a lock till next patch, kisses <3

Mages are astronomically down bad. All 3 specs need a pve buff.

6 Likes

All 3 specs are in the bottom 50% for most content levels. Pretty bad, really.

3 Likes

But but but … aren’t we the devs pet class??

Gods, I get so tired when people say that. Mage hasn’t felt consistently good since Legion. Since then you have 1 spec of the 3 that’s doing ok in raids while the other 2 are dumpster.

Those 2 tiers in BfA that fire was godly … that’s about as good as it got lol.

1 Like

There fixed it for ya.

3 Likes

Frost and fire mage are still amazing in keys. Did a few 20+ keys with both fire and frost. Arcane is not good though.

Recent polls today show all mage specs outside of the top 10 on dmg logs in all difficulties.

Pretty conclusive that mages definitely need some help.
Fire needs about a 3% overall.
Frost needs about a 7-10% overall.
Arcane needs at least a 10-12% overall.

1 Like

But muh mythix!

A lot of players couldn’t give a rats booty how their class is for dungeon spam, but are disappointed that yet again their entire class is performing poorly in the primary end-game content of raiding. Maybe with 10.0 still 5 years away (at this rate) we might see Blizz actually split M+ and raiding into 2 separate content profiles and balance specs accordingly so some aren’t terribad to raid with because of keys, and certain classes aren’t gods in all of it.

Thanks … it was definitely around that time.

A couple of guildies (a boomy and a spriest) have expressed interest in possibly switching mains to a mage so that I can main a Warlock. I’m not even a meta chaser (I liked lock when it was doing bad lol). It’s just infinitely more fun to play this expansion than a mage.

Have told the team I will not be maining a mage in 9.2.5 but even trying to recruit a mage has been difficult for us … there just don’t seem to be a lot of mages out there this expansion. Personal observation only, there …

1 Like

Yea, unless they make substantial positive changes to mages in 10.0, I will likely convert to another class. The concept art for the mage’s tier set for 10.0 is gawd awful, and frankly, each mage specs playstyles are just getting worse over time. Fire’s ignite playstyle has become convoluted, frost’s uptime playstyle with IV (even though it’s a very weak but absolutely necessary CD) is becoming a headache, and arcane’s mana playstyle was yesterday’s old man.

3 Likes

More logs are out on wowhead.

Mages… all 3 in bottom 1/3rd.

GG blizz.

1 Like

This pretty much sums it up. I have fun doing keys as a frost mage. I’ve raided this expansion as all three specs and I legitimately do not look forward to raid night.

Sadly, I’m my raid groups only mage and only 1 of 2 people in my entire guild stupid enough to main one lol.

Legit question about logs. Is it self reporting or do they auto magically mine the data? I’m a casual so I don’t know.

I’m just wondering if the sample size of self reporting is different that what the devs actually see and where the disconnect comes from.

Going from mage to lock is great until you want to blink.

Spriests may be Walmart warlocks, but gates are bargain-basement blinks.

It’s based on the reports from the players that does the content. So, going by warcraftlogs it’s a mix of good, average, and bad players. Deaths also count there and then there’s your mix of external buffs thrown in for those players. So it’s not necessarily what everyone doing raids are doing (some are private and some may not even use warcraft logs).

On the other hand, Blizzard has their own data behind the scene for how they want (or think) the classes should/could be doing at their peak. With that, it’s really up in the air concerning certain specs that seems to be grossly undertuned compared to others.

Is mage where they want us to be? We may never know, but we do know that fire wasn’t in pve. Is arms warrior where they want it to be? They’ll never tell us outside of a blue post where they’ll either say it’s not where they wanted or something concerning community feedback.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Haven’t replied in a bit, the new wowhead logs came out and all three mage specs are doing pretty poorly. Looks like fire is our best bet for raid. It’s really unfortunate that a pure dps class is best the bottom on all three specs. At least hunters have two specs at the top. All of these BM complainers but hey hunters at least you have two viable specs lol. I’m a frost main and every week we drop further and further towards the bottom. What sucks more is that we were bottom almost all of patch 9.0 and only just started climbing in 9.1.5. :frowning: