State of DPS Shamans, just delete us already

Yo honestly, just delete both DPS shaman specs already. No one wants us. No one needs us.

I just watched GingiTV get 14k overall dps with his fire mage and didn’t even have to try. Combust hurr durr. While I’m here trying to get enough maelstrom to put down one earthquake under mobs that are being kited away from it.

If you hate us that much, just delete us from the game already.

thanks for listening to my ted talks. god i hate that they don’t even acknowledge this.

23 Likes

Pour one out for the 10 classes below us on the meters.

24 Likes

I think you mean 10 specs, not classes.

BOTH Shaman dps classes are terrible. Leaves no other dps spec to play in that class, while other classes have at least 1 good one.

4 Likes

Elemental is good for raids and low-key S tier pvp burst. Its just a class that requires thought compared to some others.

4 Likes

You’re being hyperbolic, both elemental and enhance are middle of the pack at worst. Saying things like “both are terrible” and “nobody wants us” just detracts from any point you are trying to make, if any.

16 Likes

Both specs aren’t bad, Ele certainly isn’t bad.

Assuming you are talking dungeons, Fire/MM/Boomkin are just some of the best right now. It’s a little disgusting (especially Fire), but Shamans certainly aren’t terrible. I got my KSM the other day all done as Ele it’s not at all bad. If you are trying to push 20s or something then sure you probably want that busted BS.

1 Like

I fear we won’t see any meaningful changes. Might get some %s and conduit scaling and a second leggo. But I think both dps specs need some tweaking to talents and baseline abilities, Enhance moreso than Ele

1 Like

I’ve done 17k to 25k on bosses as enhance in m+.
You get the right buffs, do your rotation properly and get good procs, we’re actually hard to beat single target for the same item level.

If we switch to aoe talents/conduits, we can be pretty devastating there too.

Unfortunately, unlike most classes, we can’t be great at aoe, and great at single target at the same time. Sure other specs still need to change things to be optimal, but a st uhdk or havoc will likely do more aoe dmg than an aoe shaman.

We’re not bad at all, we have some issues with survivability, ramp up, rng, downtime, gcd etc… they’re mostly small easy to fix issues.

In the current xpac, tanks do just as much dmg as dps in aoe, and some in single target. Which often means that we’re not much ahead of the tanks and that makes us look even worse, but it’s mostly an issue of perception.

People don’t want an enhancement shaman in their group until they get one. And once the group disbands they don’t want another one, until the next one turns up. It’s kinda dumb, and people will argue that wft doesn’t make up for our low dps and lack of utility. But when we’re there they want our lust, purge, off heals, hex, speed totems, windfury, and are impressed that we out dps them. People just need to change their perception of us, but unless we’re brokenly op, i don’t think that’ll happen.

We were in bc, people didn’t like it, so blizz nerfed us and said never again.

8 Likes

i can do 30% more damage in keys on my warrior than my enhance with same gear

2 Likes

Apparently shaman dps is fine. No change needed I guess. I unsubbed cause I wasn’t having fun. Bue

1 Like

Blatant exaggerating is cool!

As literally anyone else should.

2 Likes

I just wish tanking actually meant TANKING, as in “standing in a good spot and holding aggro” and not kiting stuff all over because they’ll clutch their pearls in pain if something hits them. For dps specs whose aoe involves PUTTING STUFF ON THE GROUND, this kiting nonsense is a nightmare. I only heal on my shaman but I main frost mage so believe me, I have sympathy for ele shaman dps. As a mage, my entire m+ strategy is “predict where they’re going to drag those things” because depending on how well I predict positioning, my dps will either be “pumping” or just merely dripping.

2 Likes

it also sucks that we pop ascendance and its a 3 min CD and its damage really isn’t all the great and other classes have 1 min CD and the damage is insane mages being the really busted ones.

3 Likes

I dunno man. I am almost always top in ST for M+ even against other DPS 5 ilvls higher.

AoE, often a different story unless I really focus.

1 Like

However, these bad little thing consistently persist for all the expansions after the Burning Crusade. Still now, even tanks have insane dps, healing and can still tank. most of them could tank without healer for like 5 minutes and more. and some have insane mobility. Now, it is still hunting my head why Heroism was taken away. this is our only weapon even if we have no damage.

What do you mean? Heroism is still a thing for Alliance, it’s Bloodlust for Horde. Or are you talking about something else?

The problem stems from the inability to easily switch specs.
In vanilla once you chose your optimal talents for tanking/healing, you were unable to do damage in any kind of efficient mana.

As a result, as new expansions came out healers and tanks had problems levelling up as quickly as DPS. Wrath introduced dual-specs, which helped with this somewhat, but they had also started giving healers more damage output and tanks more mitigation/healing.

It’s now at the point where a healer, a tank, and a dps can do basically the same amount of damage. There are groups of people running raids in healer only comps, tank only comps, and even dps only comps, which proves that this has kind of gotten out of hand.

Unfortunately, Blizzard won’t change it, because it’s beneficial to their more casual player base (i.e., the majority).

However, Tank should literally be tanks, not dps. A tank should generate threat and be able to stay alive, they should not provide any kind of healing but they should take more healing from healers. In addition, their dps should be absolutely trash.

In contrast, healers should be super squishy when hit directly, but able to heal through virtually anything and also have pretty trash dps.

DPS should have little to no tanking ability and no healing.

Because the game has strayed so far from that pattern, it won’t go back to it, which means that DPS feel bad because healers and tanks are competing with them due to good/bad rng, raid mechanics and so on.

As much as I love being able to tank elites as a healer, or destroy dozens of enemies at once as a tank and heal myself to full, or not have any downtime as a dps and not need a tank to tank an elite for me, it really takes the role playing aspect out of the RPG.

1 Like

then, if you and your guys think this is a good way of calling it WoW, than a cheap phone game somewhat. I would say nothing but accept. Doing a single game within a game named after the greatest massively multi-players online game is very sad and doubtful. If this is it, then any other offline single game experience on Xbox, playstation, steam, and etc. would be way better than this game now. In addition, what were be the initial reason for setting a separate roles. I would follow the stream and change WoW into a single-role-based game if this is correct. Removing all tanks, healers, Damagers. Merge them into only one type of thing, every class and specialization will nearly have the same pattern or exactly same spells and skills but only with a different colored font and words. Maybe a different language. This will be just like a trash, fast, money-Spamming phone game. I have seen the Chinese gaming market corrupted so much. This is why they do not even have a game that can make people love it and remember it. The God Sake behind is they are not making games but money. If this is what you claim and saying as a proper or correct or better trend that follows after the game revolution. I will just say: well, I am old, and games to me are nearly dead. Seems cannot be ever resurrected.

you have not even touched a key higher than 10. the gear scaling from 200 ilvl to 220 is absolutely ridiculous

For Single target and raid, we are ok. Middle of the pack. Ele is slightly stronger then Enhance but neither are hurting to the point where they’re unplayable.

Where we really struggle is M+. We just aren’t bursty enough (sounds weird to say as a shaman) as alot of other classes especially on AoE. Enhance has better AoE burst out of the 2 specs but it’s still subpar compared to Warrior, rogue, monk, and DK. Elemental relies alot on Stormkeeper for good AoE burst/dmg and aside from that is dead in the water for AoE damage. It relies to heavily on Earthquake in a meta full of kiting.

I don’t PvP so I won’t comment on that.

Luckily we atleast have Resto as a solid spec all around.

Evidently it’s not that extreme if I am holding my own against DPS 5-10 ilvls higher.