State of demonology

Yeah unfortunately demo lock is one of the least represented specs in the game :frowning:

2 Likes

I kinda wish Bilescourge Bombers was a passive ability that actually transformed our imps into Bilescourge and once their energy was over they would dive bomb the current target and deal aoe damage. This would also remove implosion however the dive bomb effect would be as if they were max energy and implosion was used. A side effect of this would also make it so that it would be a little bit more difficult to LOS the Bilescourge since they can be in the air and ignore some terrain. Honestly I think if we are able to get more demons in general that would be awesome.

I would also like to see Inner Demon become more like Neither Portal in that it triggers every time a soul shard is spent even if that means moving Inner Demons to the last row and coming up with another talent that could idk give us access to a second demon that would act like a guardian in which would allow us to use at the very least the selected demons ability which in a way could allow us to gain an interrupt via choosing to have the felhunter out or if we knew there was say a big attack we could use our voidwalker to shield us for that fight.

I remember when the BFA just launched everyone loved demo and a lot of people didn’t want meta back. But playing the spec for 2 years really shows how horrible the spec plays.

2 Likes

“ Elves taught humans how to be mages who can “summon” demons or tear reality and let loose demons. Elves told the humans about how they almost got Azeroth obliterated then decided to form an order with the humans that would keep demons a secret from the public and banish them back to the Twisting Nether.”

A Warlock is a mage who decided to delve into demons then the arcane arts. Well from the characters we play in game, as we arnt part of the Burning Legion or follow sargeras.

To be fair at the time we had the whole unique artifact situation with a huge AOE proc and an on-demand AOE button.

Except Thak went away and we got no equivalent CD or passive to compensate. Also Grimoire: Felguard was viable, as was Vile Fiend. All of which swiftly changed.

Another thing that bothers me greatly about Demonology is the fact that we are 24/7 locked into Felguard, even for pvp it’s usually the best choice. You would think that a master of demons could fully use the potential of their whole repertoire.

One thing that I would love in Shadowlands would be essentially to make every pet do the same damage and offer means (maybe a cooldown, or a spell that costs a lot of shards?) to quickly swap them… So during a boss you could keep the Felhunter to interrupt and change to Felguard for an add phase for the cleave… Offtank died? Quickly swap to the Voidwalker to buy a bit of time. Which leads to my next point…

What is even the point of the Voidwalker nowadays? It’s squishy as heck! Not even worth sacrificing with other specs as well.

Another thing that would be nice if - through talents - we could opt the style of our aoe. I love having a lot of demons, but being an Imp Mother is really not that exciting.

5 Likes

Legion demo and BFA demo were too completely different things, they reworked demo after legion? I don’t know why you’re bringing up the artifact when it doesn’t matter at all to how BFA demo played since it’s a completely different spec.

It matters because of borrowed power. Looking at what worked in legion vs bfa and melding what worked and didn’t is fundamental in game design. The issue is the DEVs are not looking at why demo worked in legion and why it doesn’t in BFA and headed right down the BFA path in Shadowlands. Even the convenient powers for locks do nothing to help demos glaring problems. The devs seem totally def on many of the specs and class issues… like having are silence tied to a pet then make that pet pointless for demo spec leaving it the only dps spec with out of silence. Or the fact that the spec has no innate instant attacks that are not shard related or things like why does the demon master spec demon commander takes shards and a cast time while destros infernal is instant… and now things like making pets take 6 sec to cast in shadowlands another slap in the face. If they are going to look at borrowed power from BFA to add to the warlock then need to go further back and look at some of the power in legion.

I would take legion demo any day over bfa demo.

I mean

:black_small_square:︎imp riders-+damage
:black_small_square:︎all of the damage set into the artifact was so awsome. I mean im just saying i would love if all the artifact abilities and passives were thrown into talents. I mean thal’kiel’s consumption and ascendance were too good of abilities for demonology to lose.

Another thing i liked as well was the fact that hand of guldan could summon more than 3 demons.

Ill admit i hate summoning imps. I would much rather summon single big demons that do higher damage.

The current stage is just so bad compared to any previous version of demonology.

The only possible good thing that blizzard did for demonology was the molten core procs for demon bolt. I personally liked the talented version better though. Where we always have demon bolt. Where its shadowbolt damage+5% for every demon you control.

The shadowy inspiration talent was good back then too. I think it can make a comeback with corruption. Maybe when corruption deals damage it has like a 5% chance when it deals damage to cause your next shadowbolt to be instant cast. Stacking the chance by 5% every time it dont proc might be nice too.

Sadly i am feeling like Ion is just ignoring the feedback we are giving about demonology and it will only get worst this expansion.

I want to see the developers focus on Demonology for a change.
Why is it that in every expansion that Destro and Affliction seem to be the main specs played? Rhetorical question.

Give us an interrupt that does not require loss of dps(using felhunter).
An instant cast dps spell that does damage right off would be great w/o the need for a proc. Perhaps to help with the “build up” of dps for the spec.
Reading on Shadowlands Alpha that Doom is 60 seconds, which btw I have never seen summon a Doomguard and is basically useless on trash pulls.

Enslave Demon should be more useful. If your Demo you play Felguard to maintain good dps…that’s it. I want choices. I would like to be able to enslave any demon in the world and have it scaled properly so it could be useful WITHOUT A TIME LIMIT!
While on the subject of Demons, give us the ability to name them, and even customize them.
What I liked about Nether Portal was seeing different kinds of demons appearing. Yet we are still stuck on so few of a selection.

For once I would like to see Demo be the main spec in WoW when it comes to warlocks.

Hi Demon Hunter main here…I would like to see Demo warlocks get Metamorphosis again. We have a melee version, no reason why you guy’s couldn’t have a ranged version.

7 Likes

Really missed carrian swarm interrupt from metamorphosis. Demonology seemed like it just hadeverything in mop. We had an interrupt, burst with chaos wave. Even an off tank form to take damage with dark apotheosis.

I know we had an ability to give warlocks the instant summon demon but it was removed as well.

Kil’jadens cunning was really a nice mobility until it was removed.

Blizzard literally moved away from what was fun for players and what worked to just create gaps and force demonology to literally depend on borrowed power.

In the long run their will be no fix for demonology unless we go back to its roots. The developers need to stop trying to use the current situation and playstyle because it cannot compete with timed content.

Yes metamorphosis was a ramp up in mop, but it was not tied to a cooldown. It was tied to resource. The resources were then used for massive burst. The current one makes it look like we have burst with the instant cast but its really weak.

Ill admit i loved the artifact abilities for demonology in legion. I did not like the playstyle, but having a burst felt great. When it was gone, replacing it for instant demon bolt just seemed weaker. The rng demonic empowerment was one of the other things i didnt like a out legion as well.

I remember when we talented into demon bolt to have it replace shadowbolt and it was our core spell.

I wonder what will happen when warden becomes a class and they have to share blink with mages.

This unique class theory literally ruined the game. Imagine the different names we have for hast buff to raid. Timewarp, heroism, blood lust. All doing the same thing. You see why it will not be a big deal. Metamorphosis for demonology will not affect demon hunter in any way. The play styles were completely different. Touch of chaos, chaos wave, carrian swarm, sleep or aoe fear, demonic leap and a few more.

I mean we even lost a core spell shadowflame/breath of guldan. The slow from this was amazing for survivability. I also remember the doomguard enslaved version having the cripple a ability.

The devs just went down a path of breaking the game since warlords of draneor. Then they keep trying to fix the problems with bigger problems rather than focusing on new content alone, they are stuck trying to fix things without the propper resource(more people). This infact slow down production and cause a huge loss in subscription when the game dont feel fun for the player anymore.

2 Likes

I still do, tbh. The spec has a lot of problems and needs some serious fixing, but I vastly prefer the idea of commanding an army of demons and I really want to see Blizz fix it and make it work.

Conversely I always felt Destro catered to the self-empowerment well enough back in the day, and preferred that over Demo’s metamorphosis - with ONE exception. I loved the hell out of Dark Apotheosis.

1 Like

Why not take the idea of Meta and just add it to Warlocks in general and each spec gets its own form like a Nathrezim/Inquisitor for Affliction since they spread diseases or drain the life of their enemies , a Doomlord/Tothrezim(if they wanted to make them canon) for Destro learning more to the Tothrezim as they are the unofficial makers of Infernals though the Doomlords are very powerful casters, a Pitlord/Aranasi for Demo as they both command armies of demons that fight along side them.

This is just an idea that could make Meta for Warlocks be different from the Meta in Demon Hunters and since we would actually be transforming into a demon it could be named something like Demonic Transformation/Demonic Ascension so they wouldnt even need to use the Meta name.

Absolutely not. Hell no. Please God, no.

I don’t “prefer” but I accept. My main gripes with Demo are speed and diversity of demons.

2 Likes

Demo was my favorite spec in Mists of Pandaria & Warlords of Draenor and nothing has compared since then.

I just want Blizzard to go back to a design for the spec that worked well the first time around.
I mean for god’s sake they took a mechanic that could have worked for Demo as a replacement for Meta instead of reworking the spec into a dumpster fire and gave it to shadow priest.

2 Likes

This is in refenrence to Shadow Lands. My whole gripe is the whole base spec design its currently based on, hard casting every spell, and low utility. I could care less about added system in an expansion to make the spec work. Should never be design as such when others classes function with their current design.

2020 where seems like almost every other spec has been design on getting damage out much faster and fluidly. Most of our spells/pets have almost no synergy with the warlock summoner other than us using lots of time to get them out to do damage that’s it.

Every one of our spells has been design with a cast time. At least make those spells with cast time hit for some moderate damage.

The only reason I think so many liked DEMO mop is because the mechanics of the spec were fluid once you had them down, the way each spell function and changed, and the utility. We had some casting time and some instants and utility for many different situations.

Then they decided to strip all that utility and the instants spell always and left us with cast time spells that do mediocre damage at best, gave us a damage cd and call it a day.

Look at what happened with doom over the expansions.

[Battle for Azeroth] No longer baseline. Now a level 30 talent. Damage is dealt after 30 seconds, up from 20. Now has a chance to summon a Doomguard on kill.

• [![Legion| “Doom damage increased by 10%.”

• [![Legion| Redesigned. Now deals damage after 20 seconds, generating a [Soul Shard].

• [Warlords of Draenor] Now deals 25% less damage.

• [[Warlords of Draenor| “Doom’s damage has been reduced by 20%.”

• [![Mists of Pandaria| “Doom now deals 25% less damage.”

• [Mists of Pandaria| Damage increased by 25%.

• [![Mists of Pandaria| Renamed from Bane of Doom. Redesigned.

• Now exclusive to the [Demonology]

• Can only be cast within [[Metamorphosis]]

• Target limit removed.

• Summons a [Wild Imp] upon critical strike.

• Now benefits from Spell Haste.

• [Cataclysm| Imps summoned by Bane of Doom now benefit from the warlock’s stats.

• [Cataclysm| Damage has been reduced by approximately 12%.

*[Cataclysm| Renamed from Curse of Doom. Redesigned. Now deals damage every 15 seconds for one minute, and has a 20% chance of summoning an [Ebon Imp] per tick. Cooldown removed. No longer summons a Doomguard. Can now be cast on players.

And that’s just one spell. Doom should have some synergy to us being demon summoners if you wants us to be demon summoners instead of this wait 1 min for it to do lower damage than most dots do over 15 secs.

Or just bring back how old Doom work where once casted on target it did damage every 15 to 20 secs or so and every time it does damage it has a chance to summon some demon.

Remove the 1 min to do damage and throw away that idea of you must kill a target with a spell that takes 60 secs to go off with a 5% to get something else.

2 Likes

I think we can get both playstyle’s, you summon demons and once they expire you get demonic fury.

1 Like

How is Demo looking for SL if anyone is testing on alpha anyway? What I really want for demo is a consistent interupt on self or felguard (not stun), having to drop him for puppy in instanced content is a nasty dps loss and really feels clunky.

Well… if you’re looking for a class with a good interrupt, look elsewhere.

On alpha, atm, demo still is the only dps spec in the game without a proper interrupt. And with demon summoning slowed to a 6 second cast, there’s no way you’ll be swapping to the hound mid fight and back.

2 Likes