State of demonology

Im sure they do. I think it’s always important to separate our feelings from how the class “feels” and the actual game mechanics.

What i mean by that is on the forums it’s all raw emotion. People put a lot of time into their characters so they are emotional about them, and as a result post solely through the lens of “what’s best for me”, and not what’s best for the game.

While Implosion and Baleful are definitely required in BFA, the Devs may feel these took the spec in directions they don’t like and what to tune the spec in a different way. Yes, if everything stayed the same these two traits would need to be baked in but it appears tons of stuff is changing.

I enjoy the spec and think from a purely game mechanic stand point it needs only minor tweaks. Dreadstalkers being instant cast, and a instant cast spell for QoL purposes not tied to shards would make the spec feel perfect right now.

However that is purely from a game play mechanic stand point. If the discussion is about thematically then the spec has ALL kinds of problems, but rarely do Devs balance around roleplay/lore.

I equipped gear that had no Implosion and BI, and it’s not about how I feel, the spec itself is just rubbish, it’s just as slow as Destruction and hits like wet tissues and has no flow…

And from what I’ve seen from alpha testers they all agree too…Demo so far has nothing to keep people in the spec…

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, but in my 16years of warlock, it feels like anything extra we get is to make the class work, where every other one has it baseline and gets fun abilities. Its so frustrating we want to do things like tank and heal (letting us pseudo tank at one point) to have it stripped away (and given to another class?). Its so frustrating to me. I cant even describe… like we start off as a lower tier and are given things to make us function correctly instead of enhancements?

9 Likes

You speak the gods truth, we keep getting changes to just make the spec work where as specs that actually work get just more fun abilities.

And that’s the main thing there the spec should work from its base.

I just find it confusing when they say that demonology is fine the way it plays but then I look at the unholy dk’s on the stream for shadow lands. Which is close as one can get to a melee necromancer. Their mechanics are fluid. The new runes are actually affecting both them and their pets plus a myriad of others things. Their mastery is affecting both their damage and their pets.

There seems to be some strange unbalance mindset when it comes to certain class/spec functions.

3 Likes

My assumption, a Dev plays Death Knight, I feel since MoP, Warlocks has taken the backseat, Demo can be saved, baking implosion and baleful invocation is a must and great start to save the spec.

When they said “where happy where Demo is”, I panicked, who did the testing???.

Also mage tower for demo, our weapon even speaks saying he use to create summoning portals on his own, when do we get that strong??

Warlocks on all specs lost power since MoP, Let us control more Demons, as Demo… I want two Felguards.

I’ve been Warlock main since Vanilla, first time ever I’m gearing an alt, this Shaman, cause Shadowlands looks completely horrible right now for Warlocks, Demo especially.

The old lore, now changed, was Warlocks use to be Mages who then made deals with Demons for greater power…right now, it feels like we sacrificed everything for nothing…

In Short : Implosion and Baleful Invocation needs to be baked in to make the spec flow…minimum this is a must.

1 Like

Make fel lord a real CD again to push melee off the lock or teamates

Give them something other than tyrant for burst that is so easily avoided

3 Likes

Baleful I agree with, but not Explosive Potential. I don’t enjoy that trait, personally, and I’m sure there are others that don’t, too. I dislike the idea of a mandatory maintenance spell, which is what it made Implosion on single target, something you used to maintain a buff, nothing more. I also enjoy having a large demon army, which is sadly not viable right now but I like it anyway. Explosive Potential becoming baseline would kill my dream of owning a demon army for good.

I’d rather they fix the base spec enough that such obscene amounts of haste isnt necessary just to make the flow feel good.

7 Likes

Hey, if they fix the spec so we don’t need implosion, I’m all for that, but at this current way of demo it’s needed.

1 Like

Just quit the game blizzard devs turned demonology into garbage. It is trash compared to its best version in mist of pandarea. Just apply for a job and become the new lead game designer. you can fix things that way because the current one sucks at his job when it comes to classes like warlocks

I feel like we have better odds someone in the community gets a job and works for blizzard and fixing the class then them doing it themselves.

2 Likes

I mean they said they got rid of the grimoire of sac from demonology because they dont want demonology sacrificing their demon. Legion comes along we get implosion to sacrifice our imps. I think the game designers just have bad communication in general. I mean they are even starting To to the same thing for every expansion.

:black_small_square:︎Blizzard-we want feedback
:black_small_square:︎Players-demonology is a terrible spec and in bad condition.
:black_small_square:︎blizzard-we believe that demonology is good and dont think we need to change any thing.

This has been this teams moto since warlords pi f draneor. The last team did so much better. Hell they even communicated on forums. This team only focus on content but lets u feel like u got the game and wasted money to not enjoy the content because your class sucks.

4 Likes

Implosion is such a lame, corny ability too. It’s such a joke.

Would make me feel less wack if we just had diversity of demons + Implosion renamed to Demonic Explosion with a more meaningful animation than “add just flying to the target and having a normal explosion with no fel effects”.

3 Likes

I love the concept of this spell, and I think it really should be insta cast and maybe cost no shards at all, so you could fully combo a 3 HoG + Dreadstalkers or something else. It’s already a dangerous spell for the encounter to botch.

I agree about implosion rename, if they gonna keep the spell, change it, it’s very “hearthstoney” in spell name…

Hearthstoney = just tends to make jokes for younger audiences…

2 Likes

I have a UDK alt and it feels really good in BFA and I understand it just gets better in Shadow Lands. I wish Demo Warlock felt this good…

Pretty sure it was actually Shamans. When Orcs went Fel, the spirits would no longer serve them, so Gul’dan taught Orcs how to be Warlocks.

…sigh. This character was my Return to WoW level 85 boost for Mists of Pandaria. I rolled Demonology and loved it. Running around with a horde of wild imps, faithful Fellhound at my side, emanating Hellfire and Drain-tanking everything in my path.

Tip one out for the MoP Metamorphosis Demo-Lock my friends.

I mean its strange that we have no similarities to shamans though. U wud think that warlocks would have a similar more dark spell.

As for the greater power part. It doesnt exist. Warlocks are imobile, and have to cast everything that can possible b interrupted. To deal low to moderate damage besides chaos bolt.

It depends on the race-specific lore. Blood Elf Warlocks are intended to be post-Scourge-defiling-Sunwell Blood Mages/former Magisters, Orc Warlocks are former Shamans, etc.

The first warlocks in general were post-Sargeras Eredar, who eventually became Demons. The first “normal” Warlock, Nerzhul, is the former Lich King and former Shadowmoon Clan shaman. The second Warlock, Gul’dan, could never grasp Shamanism. Shadow Council was the original international/intergalactic warlock guild founded by Gul’dan and was originally primarily Orcs and Ogres. This first Shadow Council was destroyed and a subsect of them became the Twilight’s Hammer under Chogall; the Second Shadow Council under AU Gul’dan was reformed and included even Nightborne former-Arcanists. The Shadow Council also has groups like the Argus Wake under their control that are historically humans primarily, and Nerzhul!Lich King formed the Cult of the Damned that could still be considered warlocks.

The first non-demonic Warlocks in the Galaxy were thus Light-using Eredar Priests (KJ, Archimonde, Thakiel), the second non-demonic warlocks were former Shaman Orcs/Ogres, and the third non-demonic warlocks were Azerothian Mages (Elves and Humans).

Its unfortunate Blizz is constantly talking about how people dont like the feel of Moonkin eclipse but still no response to people’s feeling about demo

1 Like

More people play Druid. It’s how those of us who are lactose intolerant or have serious gluten allergies (like me) were generally ignored by the world until more people decided they too want to be dairy free and gluten free lmao