State of Arcane Mage

Sometimes it’s not about whether or not the data fits, but rather the quality of feel. Qualitative information can be of importance. If you have a ton of people playing a spec because it’s flavor of the month and is strong at certain content, what does it matter for said data when the feel and fun of the spec is absolute garbage?

1 Like

i love the kyrian playstyle lining it up with the five targets for some nice burst funnel so much better than the normal arcane. i like the way the specs are too frost high uptime consistent dmg fire is fire doesn’t feel as peaky with its lego and is a mix between burst and consistent dmg leaning more to burst and arcane is the high burst lower up time window hitting class. its going to be sad to see it go since its doubtful they will have all the things that make it viable even tho i wish that was arcane.

2 Likes

To me, this is a great description for DH, which many people find incredibly fun. And that’s the problem with qualitative data – it is by its nature ambiguous. Only after valence attribution and quantification can it be made useful.

There are spots of positive feedback in this thread, which some of the negative feedback has the lasting power of outrage to shout down. So I guess my challenge is that rather than answering the question, “Does this suck?” we try to instead ask, “What would help make this not suck?”

The link I provided explains that I’m fully aware some parts of Arcane are mechanically flawed and bring down the integrity of playing a fluid and robust rotation. But that doesn’t mean that there is zero fluidity and it cannot be made to work for some who actually DO like how it feels. Too often have I had bits of the game enjoyable get demolished by the overreacting Blizzard tends to do, and too often do I see people citing and quoting statistics which they do not understand.

We, as a species, rely more on our emotions, which mirrors your remark, than sometimes the indisputable measurements which lie just beyond our fingertips. Instead of taking time to analyze the information, we identify a feeling, seek for the quantitative data which reinforces our bias, and then go forth attempting to evangelize the world to our “good word”… We don’t care to speak data–we only care if the data speaks to us.

So I generally don’t comment on forums, but I hope my input helps the cause. I have played arcane for years, and I have to say, this iteration (Kyrian + 2 legos + 4 set) is probably the most fun I’ve had. HOWEVER…for (arguably) the most difficult class to play optimally, it really doesn’t reward to the level of risk you take. Someone mentioned suggesting solutions, so here’s my hypothesis: If there was a way to guarantee that the final Arcane Barrage hit in a burn phase was a crit, it would feel good every time and probably even out the damage profile (overall). I haven’t crunched numbers so I’m not sure what effect that would have, but it seems like a simple thing that could be done to make the spec feel good and actually perform as a burst spec more reliably.

8 Likes

Holy christ I could not agree more. The amount of variability in a fight that depends on a single spell criting or not is mind blowing.

You could quite literally be the best arcane mage in the world, but if none of your big barrages crit (the ones with 4 stacks of RS), you aren’t parsing higher than 75th percentile on ST and 50th percentile on AoE

3 Likes