Stat Priority for Guardian Druid (MASTERY > ALL) PROOF INSIDE

Hey I noticed many guides online suggest:

1. Armor/Agility/Stamina;
  2. Versatility;
  3. Mastery;
  4. Haste;
  5. Critical Strike.

Why should Versatility be above Mastery?
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I have 12% mastery and 12% versatility on my druid tank.

Mastery gives me 11.9% more health AND healing received.
Mastery gives me 23.7% bonus attack power.

Versatility gives me 11.82% bonus damage AND healing.
Versatility gives me 5.91% damage reduction.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
It would appear that mastery > versatility in terms of increasing my DPS.

Proof:

Here are my DPS stat weights:

Weapon DPS 8.57

Haste 2.43

Mastery 2.01

Critical Strike 1.96

Versatility 1.90

Agility 1.52
What about survivability?
I tank mostly Mythic+ for now.
It seems like often I tie my healer on 15+ keys for overall healing.

That being said what is better?
11.9% more health AND 11.9% more healing from ALL SOURCES.

OR

5.91% less damage taken AND 11.82% healing from ONLY ME.

I think taking 5.91% less damage is equivalent to having 1 / (1-0.0591) = 1.0628 MORE health.

Meaning versatility gives me 6.28% more effective health vs the 11.9% mastery gives me.

(technically each heal I receive is worth more if I take less damage with higher VERS than Mastery. But those heals are only worth 6.28% more. This isn’t enough to overcome the extra healing from just me, vs the extra healing from everyone).

So MASTERY:

gives MORE dps output
gives MORE effective health
gives MORE healing received from ALL SOURCES.

The guides are wrong I think…

You’re welcome.

Mastery doesn’t effect trinkets/essences/azerite is a cofounding variable. While having the higher health pool and healing intake is awesome… it also leads to spikier damage intake+stress on the healers. Versitility smooths it out more, stacks with other damage reduction…and I cant think of the last time I was in a situation where 11% extra hp would change things.

I think both ways can totally work but it seems like the best guardians in the world are definitely stacking vers.

As far as the stat weights go, what you provided is deceiving… because when I run mine its completely different and puts crit above vers above mastery… it just depends on what you have- and things like are you looking at AoE dps w/visions or ST weights… vastly changes it

1 Like

its scaling, the diminishing returns on mastery point is very low and begins to drop off very heavily while versatility does not and remains a steady value. I suggest using the stat weight add on it will help you allot

2 Likes

Damage reduction is much more valuable than a bit of max health. If the healer can’t power through the inflow, it doesn’t matter how much HP you have – when your defensives wear off you’re dead.

Plus yes, trinkets usually scale with vers, and the tank trinkets right now are hilariously powerful.

2 Likes

Not really relevant to mastery vs. vers. Mastery gives both % health and % healing received, which is functionally identical to % damage reduction. Whether you take 50% reduced damage, or have 100% increased health/healing received, you get the same result: your health bar moves half as much, and it takes half as much work to heal you up.

The only differences are that mastery doesn’t “work” on %hp damage, and vers doesn’t “work” on damage that ignores damage reductions. So maybe you value mastery a little less on some m+ weeks, that’s about it.

For the most part, you can think of mastery as versatility, with different (usually worse) interactions with trinkets/essences/self-heals, and decreasing returns on its “damage reduction” as you stack it vs. versatility’s increasing returns. So versatility outscales mastery, and even in low gear where mastery is technically more “damage reduction”, vers’s better interactions with trinkets/abilities usually makes it better regardless.

Though, as a side note, I do hope to get some nice +% mastery corruptions next patch and mess around with Masterful Instincts/Burst of Savagery. Just for some max HP fun.

2 Likes

All I can tell ya is trying to heal a tank with a massive hp pool during grevious week is not fun. The amount of extra dmg they’ll take with 4 stacks is pretty insane and can be quite hard to get off if they’re also getting trucked at the same time. Regardless of your fanatical devotion to mastery, do your healer a favor and at least have a backup set with vers for some weeks in mythic+.

iLvL is greatest stat due to increased Agility and Stamina. Any stat isn’t bad. Even crit does something positive for us even though the DR is extremely high.

3 Likes

Good bears can meme grievous.

1 Like