Starting from Vanilla?

Would it be possible to start new characters with a group, and stop xp at the max level of every expansion starting with vanilla to progress all of the raids of that expansion before moving on to the next? If so what would be the minimum amount of players to make something like that work?

1 Like

I mean, yeah?

Some particular bosses might need to be cheesed / skipped by hitting it with a 70 to avoid needing stupid amounts of level-locked players though. 2nd boss in BWL comes to mind, as his mechanic just outright kills multiple people every 45 seconds with no counterplay, so you have to have the bodies to be able to do him naturally.

As opposed to 90% of other raid encounters that can be done with 1-7 or so players locked at level 30 (which is the cap for Vanilla / TBC / WotLK content).

Can probably get away with 5 players for most things if they’ve picked strong classes and are using easily obtainable high ilvl gear (see: PvP gear for gold) instead of trying to actually use gear dropping from the raids.

Might need more bodies for the higher level bracket raids, as characters tend to be stronger at 30 than, say, 50.

2 Likes

While I understand the sentiment, you just can’t go back. It won’t be the same progging Rag now as it was back then.

3 Likes

Oh I know it won’t, I just think it would be cool to quickly go through all the raids in a group, no interest in going back at all, just think it would be a good time to get in and have all this content to do.

1 Like

There was a reason Vael was still destroying raid groups of 70’s, even in burning crusade.

I was in a BC legacy guild once. They only lasted a few weeks of BC raiding before bringing in a higher level alt, “Just to help heal this one mechanic on just this one fight…” That slippery slope quickly lead to everyone being run through everything and the guild deciding, “Okay we are a wrath guild now, and seriously, this time we will do it right! With no help!”

Well, they didn’t last more than a few weeks there either.

It was a nice idea but in the face of frustration it’s too tempting to take the backdoor out I think, when a backdoor exists.

Classic servers are the only real legacy experiance you can get. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I remember something like this before, called project 60, project 70, project 80 etc.
So it is definitely doable, just depends if the interest is there for enough of you to
run the raids.

1 Like

Not in retail, you can’t. The scaling and stuff just wrecks it.

In Cata you could do this. It would be imperfect, Vanilla isn’t as Vanilla as it was before Cata.

But there’s no scaling, 60s are still 60s.

Of course, the Vanilla raids were 40 man. So, there’s that as well, though they can probably be done with 25 nowadays, I don’t really know.

1 Like

Seems like the end game should be a merging of retail and classic where servers have a classic, TBC, WotLK, etc versions and your character gets forked through the various expansions.

So you’d play vanilla, that character would stay in the vanilla version and get copied to the TBC version, you could play either one… all the way up to retail.

There would probably be some very complicated server merger / connection issue to keep all the version populated though.

1 Like

I mean, in retail, the 30s are 30s. Raids dont scale. Yes you need to under-man it significantly if you want a challenge, but you can do it

A solid 5 man is plenty for a ton of lv 30 raid content. 10 would cover everything that doesnt work with 5.

Some groups limit allowed gear to keep it harder and bring more people. The Legacy Thirty group im aware of this xpack had their people using greens I believe.

My smaller group just disallowed the gold vendor gear and WoD warforged gear + broken twink meme trinkets.

Unfortunately too many things have been changed and/or removed so that you can’t get anything close to experiencing the expansion as it was. Disabled borrowed power systems, in particular, make a huge impact. Also, the “wonderful” scaling feature they added ruins everything.

What they need to do is make progression servers.

It starts at Vanilla, then proceeds through patches and expansions in order over time. Other than a few quality-of-life changes, you get to experience the game as it was throughout its history. This turns out to be super fun!

This is the biggest thing going in Everquest right now. Anywhere EQ is being discussed, all they talk about it Teek (the newest progression server). Hugely popular feature in an MMO that is only slightly older than World of Warcraft.

Don’t let others dissuade you.

It is definitely “possible”

They will tell you it’s pointless and won’t be good, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is possible to level lock, under gear, and under size the old raids for a completionist type thing.

1 Like

I’m ok with it not being a 1:1 recreation just cool to go see all the content with a group banging it out one raid after the other over a couple of months.