Starting from scratch

pretty new to wow , I would like to play wow from the beginning to current SL , I want to do this on one char only
actually I’m going to follow this method reddit

I have questions

1- what about doing this method without chromie , by using quest addons (there are lots of good addon’s for the whole story from beginning) , hero’s call board or maybe following the addon and fly to the zones myself ? , the reason why I want to do this because of the idea of chromie phasing , it is bothering me really (I don’t wanna feel more lonely in the game).

so I wonder which is better ? (I already know the scaling stuff about chromie and LFG)

2- a player from this forum replied to one who had a similar question to mine and recommended him to do first the BfA intro up through getting the “Welcome to Zandalar” or “Come Sail Away” achievement , because this will minimize some phasing weirdness for other stuff.

I’m not sure about that , idk if it is true or not ? or maybe they solved that now ?

1. You can do this method without Chromie time. The zones will scale based on the levels mentioned on the reddit. You will need to stop XP at all of the points mentioned.

2. I haven’t heard about any fixes put out for this, probably better to do it just to be safe.

1 Like

To answer #2, there are basically 3 options.

1. Play exiles reach, then as soon as you get to Stormwind/Orgrimmar, use the NPC’s dialog option to opt out of the turorial. (The dialog option will be something along the lines of “I know my way around the city.”) If you don’t opt out of the tutorial at this point, access to expansion starter quests will be blocked until you complete the BfA intro. You will only get the option to opt out of the tutorial if you’ve done the full tutorial (up through the BfA starter quest achievement) on another character.

2. Play exiles reach, do the main city tutorial, and then do the BfA intro up until the achievement.

3. Pick your traditional starting zone, and run your way to the Blood Elf/Draenai starting zones to start your journey. (These would be where I’d start Burning Crusade content regardless of if you do Exile’s Reach of not.) As with #1, you will only get the option to chose the older starting zones instead of Exile’s Reach if you’ve taken a character all the way through the tutorial and BfA intro.

For your first question, as Chirona said, the levels listed in the reddit thread to lock are either at or before where their scaling ends outside of Chromie Time, so it will work just fine with or without Chromie Time. (Although you will need Chromie Time if you want to use dungeon finder for the various expansions.)

I’ll also point out that if you use Chromie Time, there’s really no need to keep level locking at each expansion, as it will all scale to 50. Just lock once you hit 47 (to minimize issues with the Shadowlands starter quest availability at 48) and keep it there until you start BfA. (Then lock again at 50 to not lose BfA Dungeon Finder access.) This method has the advantage that you can turn off Chromie Time to solo raids and stuff, to really get the whole story before moving onto the next expansion. (Level 47 will be high enough to solo everything but the Legion raids. For legion, 50 will let you solo the dungeons, but probably not any of the raids — you’ll need 60 and some gear for that.)

I don’t think that Chromie Time will be any more lonely than having it off. The vast majority of people leveling through the older expansions will have it turned on. (And Stormwind/Org isn’t affected by the Chromie Time phasing.)

1 Like

so which one do you recommend for that method ? wanna know your opinion

so in that case , turning on chromie is better ?

So, for the characters I’m working on taking through stuff in order, I went with #2. Mostly because I hated the idea of having “incomplete” quests from skipping the end of the tutorial. It also unlocks the Boralus/Zandalar portals, which are really useful at lower levels for traveling around. The main downside is that it’s out of order. When I finally get to the BfA part, I’ll probably create a dummy character to go through it as a “refresh.”

Yeah, that’s what most levelers will be using. With that and access to the dungeon finder for non-BfA dungeons, it’s probably better for your purposes. (And, if you get stuck on a group quest with no one around, you can turn it off to solo stuff as needed.) Turning it on for any expansion will turn on scaling to 50 for all of them, so which expansion you’ve picked from Chromie mostly only matters for which dungeons are in the Dungeon Finder.

1 Like

A lot of people leveling with Chromie Time will be doing so with for a very specific reason for choosing the expansion they level in. The busiest will be WoD and Legion because leveling is more efficient in those two than in the others. Those who choose to level in WotLK, BC, MoP, and Cata are likely doing so because they are missing loremaster achievements.

If I had to guess, the less efficient leveling areas probably won’t be all that populated either with or without Chromie Time.

I will frequently pick an expansion to level in based upon what profession recipes are available in that expansion.
For example, my Engineers are going to do BC to get the Zapthrottle Mode Extractor, and MoP for the BoE mount recipes. Alchemmists are going to do WoD for major stat potions and Pandaria to raise ore bearing plants on the farm that can be transmuted to high value metal bars.

If I had a toon that was my first leatherworker, he would do WoD to get the stable and it’s quest lines to get 6 mounts.

1 Like