Star wars question

I am watching the mandalorian as someone who doesn’t really care for the Star wars franchise. But I’ve exhausted my things to watch, yay self isolation. They keep using these credits as currency. But then they took the credits and melted them down to make armor. Do they just trade precious metals as a form of currency in the starwars universe?

Money is pretty generic in Star Wars and pretty loosely defined so yes in some cases credits would just be some kind of metal.

The credits they melted down are only valuable because they’re made out of a very rare metal found on the planet Mandalore; most credits don’t really have physical value in terms of metal, and are more like, well, credit cards.

Credit chips , also known as credit sticks , were credits in a form of a small, flat chip or card issued by the planetary government which had values ranging from one to over a billion with a limit set by the issuing governmental authority. Currency was transferred to and from the chip by drawing upon account information from a central bank. These were issued on most Core and Colony worlds. They were very popular even though some planetary governments outside of the Core Worlds still relied upon hard currency. Because of the popularity and widespread use, few galactic citizens ever saw actual cash as their income was directly deposited into their accounts. The Republic, Empire, and Corporate Sector Authority relied heavily on electronic currency and credit chips.

1 Like

Beskar is a special ore that the mandelorians use to make really tough armor. It’s not a credit.

Thank you to the both of you, I honestly put more thought into it then I’m proud of

1 Like