Stand Alone Expansions

Obviously depending on the success of Classic, I wouldn’t be surprised if Blizz started to create stand alone expansions rather than creating WoW all over again with releasing expansions on top of classic.

Similar to copying your character over to PTR, why not allow the ability to copy your toon over to the BC classic server? Want to have 2 of the same character (1 at 60 and 1 at 70)? Go for it!

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Thoughts?
I think you needed to spend about 2 minutes before creating a new thread:

I seriously doubt this would be something they would be willing to do. It makes much more sense for them to create and progress classic than to create standalone servers, because more upkeep and people completing them/getting bored.

aww shucks, I only invested 1 minute. Thank you for being you.

1 Like

I think the bigger problem (as I pointed out in that other thread) is that the more “flavors” of WoW are available the more the already shrinking community will be fragmented. There is only one logical end to that sequence of events.

1 Like

Your comment on the removal of classic content is spot on. Timewalking probably does enough of the trick to get the BC and WotLK content taste.

Very true. B(

My apologies, I should have been more polite. I’m interested in this conversation, it’s just easier when it’s all in one thread.

… and that is that WoW classic will finally be the Wow killer that everyone’s been waiting for.

No worries. I honestly didn’t see the previous thread, I wouldnt have created one had I seen it.

TRUTHBOMB.

I’ve actually thought about this, because originally it was what I considered a good idea. However, later I realized there are tricks people use for PTR and Beta character copies to maximize their gold and items. If you move everything to one character, copy them, move everything to another character and copy them, now you have twice as much in the new expansion realm.

In addition, while it mimics the original launch of BC where there were level 60s, but also a lot of people nowhere near max (EDIT: wrong word) and people still to start playing for the first time, I’m sure there would be players who want a chance to level 1-60 without an existing economy, to let it build organically.

Lastly, would those “copies” force original race and faction - or allow the player to pick? BC, after all, is when mana addicts and space goats were added … and we just know there will be a particular crowd that wants to combine copying their level 60 with getting their pretty princess pseudo-hordettes .

I actually think that timing is going to be a very important part of the Classic WoW release. I suspect that they are targeting a release date that will coincide with a content drought in retail. This will encourage people to continue their subscription to experience the nostalgia of classic. How long will the interest last? Hopefully just long enough for them to get the next retail content ready for release. I don’t know, maybe it will work.

They could just make it such that when you “copy” a character you don’t carry items/gold but are given a “standard kit” on the new expansion which woudl include small amount of gold. This would be just like creating a max-level character on the PTR. The difference would be that you would have to have a max-level character of that race/class on the previous expansion to “copy”.

I highly doubt we’ll ever see “classic” BC/WoLK servers, but who knows.

I’m not sold on WoW Classic killing Retail by splitting and slowly killing of the player each base. In fact if they time it it could maintain subscriptions (WoW’s lifeblood). Their business model to have the cost the same subscription allows players to bounce back and forth during lulls of content. It could be a good thing! Or Classic WoW could tank and most people return to BFA (or quit until the next retail expansion just a few months later).