Spy Classic Addon needs to go

Unless it can somehow detect a rogue existing in my general vicinity, it’s not doing anything that audio cues don’t already clue me into.

4 Likes

The way I see it, if an addon automates anything other than menial tasks, it’s harmful to the game.

This is no exception.

20 Likes

On the one hand, this is an incredibly useful tool to have on a PvP server (disable the obnoxious auto-tells to chat, that’s just spam, and annoying).

On the other hand, for the people asking “how would Blizz break this, it just uses chat logs”. Are you forgetting they broke SpellAlert too?

That just used chat logs, but basically made it 1000% easier to counter play against enemy players when they popped big cooldowns because you were immediately notified, and didn’t have to worry about watching animations or buff bars.

2 Likes

That add-on was in vanilla. I used it. It was a ganklist or KOS add-on. It would tell you who was nearby in a little box, red for opposite faction. You could also click the name in the box to Target them.

Thanks for finding it again for me.

27 Likes

same
#nochanges

3 Likes

Have you been able to find a classic compatible version of SpellAlert by any chance? Big life saver in PvP, and 100% existed in Vanilla. I remember using it to instant disarm against enemy warriors who popped reck, or rogues who used cold blood, etc.

4 Likes

Interesting. I haven’t looked at any add-ons yet. Hopefully this weekend I’ll have the chance.

I would say … if you can’t beat them, join them. You can play with your Combat log open … all you do is glance it … for suspicious activity.
Though a addon like this is sleeker …

But you will always find people that want to be highly efficient in what they do …

4 Likes

I’m a ret paladin. I need all the advantages I can get!

Seriously though, this addon will likely stir the controversy the same with the LFG addon did, and blizzard will make a patch to break it at some point.

1 Like

Just use weak auras

I always thought Weak Auras was for your own abilities, similar to TellMeWhen.

Interesting, I’ll look into it, thanks!

people being aware of combat log was always a thing

9 Likes

Seriously. Just because YOU didn’t personally, doesn’t mean nobody did, and it wasn’t a method used to track down gank targets, or avoid being ganked in turn.

7 Likes

The range of your combat log is not that great. This addon is really nothing special.

15 Likes

You can use it for almost everything. Even if you don’t know LUA for the more complex stuff there are plenty of copy and paste imports. ezpz

1 Like

This has been around for years lol

4 Likes

I remember this from OG Carbonite. I didn’t realize it still existed. Nice!

4 Likes

I had forgotten about carbonite! Loved that addon.

2 Likes

lolwat…Spy is probably the single most world PvP encouraging addon. Sounds like you’re salty you can’t just hide from conflict. If you don’t like PvP, there’s PvE servers for a reason.

21 Likes

its a retail add on, you guys should be happy xD well retailer should be happy