*Spoilers* Your writing is so terrible Blizzard

First rule of MMORPG’s.

Come for the gameplay, stay for the lore.

And we’ve all seen how well Shadowlands has done at THAT.

You can’t really blame Thrall for that seeing as how he was raised by humans.

2 Likes

If anything, Thrall’s Horde was founded upon his impressions of who and what Orcs should be by comparing himself to who the humans that raised him were and how they acted towards him.

1 Like

True but every bit of what people complain about Garrosh, falls in Thrall’s lap.

If Garrosh was incompetent, he shouldn’t have been made Warchief.

But instead, Thrall looked at Garrosh and went,

“Yep”

So who is the bigger idiot, the clown who messed everything up, or the bigger clown who gave him the authority to do so and turned him loose?

3 Likes

Thrall: “Oops.”

Garrosh: “I did all this for you!”

Thrall: “When did I fail you? how did I fail you?”

Garrosh: “Um, when you didn’t teach me how to lead?”

3 Likes

Meh, Garrosh wasn’t that bad of a Warchief, at least until MoP.

He saved his people from starvation and even punished a general for bombing a town of civilians. Of course, that questline was written by an ex-developer who wasn’t on the same page as the writing team.

But regardless, Thrall chose Garrosh because he felt the Horde needed a “true orc”. But yeah, you’re right, Thrall should’ve just made Cairne or Saurfang the Warchief or just have the leaders form a council like we are seeing now.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s not like Garrosh did a bait and switch on Thrall.
Even back in Wrath it was clear who Garrosh was and what he was about.
And Thrall STILL looked at him and went,

“Yep”

:smirk:

4 Likes

I have seen this story before, in Doctor Who, with a particular companion everyone loves to hate on. :thinking:

Pretty much, the internet has made a lot out of nothing. The jailer is par for the course WoW villain quality. He has more lines and motives than Denathrius, and yet everyone loves Denathrius. The only reason the jailer is the “worst villain in WoW” as streamers say, is really just because he’s a blue bald.

Damn it… I got tricked into clicking on a youtuber. Gross.

But at least they were consistent.

Him being racist is why DH’s can only be NE and BE elves. they stuck to that script. Stupid as it is imo. Fel makes even NE and BE DH’s blow up. 100 humans sign up, 99 humans blow up? Well…cool we got 1 DH out of that batch. yay us.

Meanwhile I wonder why no one in the SLands has approached my DK and said…

hey you, you are that DK that took our soul arent’ you? One day we had us an orc soul chilling up in here. strong member of the team…doing great things. then poof he was gone to be your horseman. You can’t be stealing our people like that dude. Not cool…you need to give his soul back. Like now.

I always separate the main story line and the zone quest lines when it comes to the story.

The main story has been god awful for some time now. Zones, however, have been pretty decent in my opinion. Some are better quality than others, but they look like Pulitzer winners compared the crap we’ve been getting when it comes to the main story.

Cataclysm was campy and over the top.
But time traveling around to get the dragon soul, then shooting deathwing with a plot laser was incredible, even if it was childish and cartoony.

In my opinion, Cataclysm was campy, and a little stupid. But it was NOT Bad.

Shadowlands is BAD. Shadowlands has no stakes, and no investment. It has a Villain with no character. It’s setting its uninteresting. It has done nothing to win players over.

7 Likes

Not defending the writing (at all) but Nobbel’s been on the way out for a bit.

It’s time to stop using influencers and streamers as canaries in the mine. They play the game differently and for different stakes. Enjoy their content, sure, take their analyses to heart or with a grain of salt, but they’re not the health check people make them out to be.

1 Like

Honestly, if they introduced a quest-drop item that shows the Jailor wasn’t behind everything - he was just a master opportunist on things that happened unrelated to his plans, and it all weaved in his favour once they aligned up right, it’d be a lot better — But they haven’t done that, they’ve been trying to enforce the idea that it’s all him / he’s been the puppeteer pulling all the strings etc. That just cheapens the lore & also devalues all the other villains & their motivations.

On another note: It’d also be cool to find out Denathrius was using the Jailor, to meet his own ends & not vise versa - Especially since he’s a way better written villain.

2 Likes

I really always dislike when a show introduces time travel or alternate timelines or universes, or makes the afterlife a place you can go.

Like, when Supernatural made heaven a true white office space that you get to as a mortal from the playground. Why? It loses something when things are explained that way. How does death have any meaning is that we can just hearth back to oribos and snatch up our favorite fallen comrade and take him home?

I feel like this mostly happens when authors have an idea for another book or series, but don’t want to write all of it, so they just ham fist it into something that already exists. Like the Argus space ships with the orbital lasers. Sword and shield feels real obsolete after that, but the guy really wanted to write a sci-fi battle, so there we are.

The fel horde killed all life on the planet. Much easier then subjugation of the planet. Though it wasn’t Garrosh call. He was crippled from siege of Org while he was still a great fighter orcs are dumb about such things. He was left behind in Nagrand. Grom was the one to make the call to invade Azeroth and to be fair they did control most of the planet. We arrived and messed it all up. The only ones still holding out was the arakoa because of their light tech.

Or read for that matter…

Yep. There’s good schlock, and there’s bad schlock. Shadowlands is bad schlock.

3 Likes

I had this thought while raging about dreadlords being completely ruined by this expansion. Shadowlands is like that deviantart OC that people create on their freetime. You know the one thats like “THIS IS SONICS BROTHER, LONIS! HE IS AMY’S BOYFRIEND.” It’s exactly that level of writing. Every piece of the lore just awkwardly inserts itself with this “NOW EVERYTHING YOU USED TO LIKE WE HAVE REVEALED TO BE THE RESULT OF FAIRY NONSENSE…WHY IS YOUR FACE TURNING RED?” Except we are now stuck with it…forever.

It pains me to day this gents…but warcraft is no longer metal. It’s lame. Any stronger word I could use for it is no longer PC. So lame will have to do.

But what can you expect, it was likely written by starry-eyed, recent college grads who are paid California style slave wages. Of course it sucks.