[SPOILERS] Uther - Soul Shattering - Sylvanas’ Future?

UPDATE:

It is happening in 9.2!

Uther will serve as a guide for her through the process, he had nobody to help him guide him, he understood what it’s like to go through something like this, and we’ll see how he can help her with guidance through these treacherous waters.

This thread contains some spoilers about this week’s covenant campaign, I’d recommend you play through it before commenting on it.

It was about time we had some closure to Uther and the Forsworn - it was about time we had more info on soul-shattering.

It was relieving, genuinely liked it a lot, mainly feel it was unfortunate for it to come so late prior to the Sylvanas cutscene - since it explains in-depth how soul shattering works, how the jailer twists those souls - and how much it would hurt a being to have these fragments thrown back at its original vessel. We replenished Uther with multiple rituals, and it still proved to be traumatic. Kyrian will have to mend her soul if that is what is being hinted at here. Not only that, we see what could be arguable fragments of Terrenas soul, and other characters.

I want Uther and this new “Sylvanas” to meet in-game, to have a proper ritual and see what has happened with her, if he can have compassion for Arthas, so can he have it to another of his victims.

Some of the souls found in the shattered chamber:

The Betrayed Father - Terenas Menethil
The Blood-Queen - Lana’Thel
The Grand Magister - Belo’vir Salonar
The Guardian of Naxxramas - Sapphiron
The Archmagus Mentor - Antonidas
The Golden King - Anasterian Sunstrider
The Holy Lifebringer - Halahk the Lifebringer

3 Likes

Honestly Uther’s soul is mad confusing. The Uther/Daxos story cinematic plays it out that he ended up in Bastion after Arthas killed him, now we learned that frostmourne broke off a piece of his soul and the jailer decided to keep it, but right before Icecrown Citadel fell, we saw Uther’s soul in Frostmourne in the 5-man, but Frostmourne was shattered at the end of ICC and all the souls were freed? Except apparently they weren’t freed and they just ended up in the maw with the jailer, but not entirely only fragments of those souls?

Honestly it all gives me a headache.

They’ll probably just say “Sylvanas is whole again, don’t think about it too much!” and call it a day so we can move on and end the expo at this point heh.

18 Likes

Why exactly should we care whether Uther has compassion for Sylvanas?

7 Likes

Because I dig Uther and I like Sylvie and I want to see some interpersonal drama. Sure, they mostly don’t care that the other exists, but that can change.

1 Like

I’m not particularly sure why they should begin caring about each other’s existence now, or what that would add to the story. Of all the people who need interactions with Sylvanas, Uther is catastrophically low on that list.

3 Likes

If the juxtaposition of soul shattered, corrupted characters don’t interest most of the player base, it does interest me as it is the perfect showcase of how soul fracturing works.

That’s an intrigue in how the process works though, not so much the characters themselves. If we know how soul shattering works (which, to be honest, I’m not even sure that Blizzard does, or cares to elaborate past the vague lines it’s set up), then is there really a reason to have Uther and Sylvanas interact? What exactly does the story gain if we know how Uther feels about Sylvanas? Are we meant to care that they have some kind of relationship now?

It just wouldn’t add much, if anything at all.

4 Likes

I disagree because I want to believe the remaking of these sigils is more than an EPIC reference to the infinity stones.

Today, I saw how Uther helped breach something that bothers so many players about Bastion’s lack of choice, something Sylvanas talks about in her Intro:

“Despite witnessing the broken cycle of Life and Death with your own eyes, still you would stop us from remaking this flawed system. What a pity.”

Today we saw the Archon acknowledge she made a mistake when not listening to Devos, and in previous weeks we saw how the other covenants amended their flaws from within, yet none of these were as impactful as the Bastion one, as now there is a measurable amount of progress done.

1 Like

They have already meet, at least one part met with another part. I think Baal coined the term Wrather although I would prefer Wruther, its basically Uther in wrath.

I think you’re on to something and it would be a nice call back/tie in to this soul shattering business. Anyway here’s the dialogue:

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Standing this close to the blade that ended my life… The pain… It is renewed.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: I dare not touch it. Stand back! Stand back as I attempt to commune with the blade! Perhaps our salvation lies within…

Uther the Lightbringer says: Careful, girl. I’ve heard talk of that cursed blade saving us before. Look around you and see what has been born of Frostmourne.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Uther…Uther the Lightbringer. How…

Uther the Lightbringer says: You haven’t much time. The Lich King sees what the sword sees. He will be here shortly.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: The Lich King is here? Then my destiny shall be fulfilled today!

Uther the Lightbringer says: You cannot defeat the Lich King. Not here. You would be a fool to try. He will kill those who follow you and raise them as powerful servants of the Scourge. But for you, Sylvanas, his reward for you would be worse than the last.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: There must be a way…

Uther the Lightbringer says: Perhaps, but know this: there must always be a Lich King. Even if you were to strike down Arthas, another would have to take his place, for without the control of the Lich King, the Scourge would wash over this world like locusts, destroying all that they touched.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Who could bear such a burden?
Uther shakes his head.

Uther the Lightbringer says: I do not know, Banshee Queen. I suspect that the piece of Arthas that might be left inside the Lich King is all that holds the Scourge from annihilating Azeroth.

Uther the Lightbringer says: Alas, the only way to defeat the Lich King is to destroy him at the place he was created.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: The Frozen Throne…

The far door opens and the Lich King appears!

Uther the Lightbringer says: Aye. ARRRRRRGHHHH… He… He is coming. You… You must…
The Lich King yells: SILENCE, PALADIN!

9 Likes

I did not remember this. Can’t wait for WotLK Classic.

1 Like

Ok, I just watched it and wow. IMO, Uther had his soul wrecked by Frostmourne something serious, but Sylvanas could have it worse. Sylvanas too had her soul wrecked by Zovaal, but on top of that she was resurrected using necromancy. Where is that one equation posting poster? Anyhow, I think there is a good possibility that Arthas further corrupted and twisted Sylvanas soul.

She has had her souls fractured by Zovaal and possibly twisted by Arthas. Uther was never stuffed back into his body via necromancy, but yet he’s suffering memory loss and lack of virtues. The Banshee Queen remembers a fool, while the lack of virtues are ridiculously obvious. I wonder what ill effect of necromancy would possibly get slapped on the pile of wreckage if any.

I think Uther was a bit more reserved with his atrocities(especially considering he didn’t suffer necromancy), while the Banshee Queen came through like a bull in a china shop. In other words a wider range of mustache twirling rage may have gotten thrown in the mix. I hope Zovaal shot it all out of her.

As to you point about regaining the missing part of their soul; there’s definitely difference in the method. Sylvanas is still mortal and there were no rituals performed to mend her soul, which is probably why she passed out. It seems like she immediately jumps back into hero mode by trying to warn us about Zovaal next move…I’m here for it all!

4 Likes

What got me is that we go in, take the one soul we want, and then just leave the other ones (regardless of who they are) to rot?

And we have to save Uther’s soul, but the one he unjustly cast into the maw? Nothing.

I did it today…and again…kyrians are so strange…uther blame himself…arthas was a monster…why it is wrong to see a monster as a foe?..uff…

1 Like

It’s just supposed to tie back in to Uther’s original philosophy.

• “Remember, Arthas. We are paladins. Vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do. If we allow our passions to turn to bloodlust, then we will become as vile as the orcs.”

When Uther confronted Arthas, he essentially slipped into the “Dark Side” and gave in to his anger and hatred.

8 Likes

They have a shared experience yet are morally and aesthetically total opposites. Seeing some mutual understanding between such an odd pair would be cute, possibly start towards humanizing the new Sylvie, and possibly give us insight / exposition on what soul sharding does exactly.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m shipping Uther and Sylvanas now. This confirms it. Forget Anduanas. Sylther is in.

5 Likes

I was down, but this nomenclature clinches it hard. Yes please.

I never heard anything so cursed.

4 Likes

Well they’re both dead and they can both fly…that’s more of a basis for a relationship than the weirdos 'shipping her with a barely legal Anduin whom she helped enslave.

This was so nostalgic to me. I don’t hold WotLK as the peak of lore for me anymore but I was engrossed and obsessed with the overall lich king & scourge story. So epic.

2 Likes