[Spoilers] The Burning of Teldrassil is being ignored and hidden from new players

This is why we can have nice things: Because we ask for it.

Without Teldrassil there is no BFA.

6 Likes

I guess it’s too bad the next expansion isn’t BfA then, isn’t it? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

New players are forced to play BFA. Keep up.

3 Likes

I’m in a position myself where I am completely conflicted at the moment.

I had no issue with the burning of Teldrassil from a story perspective; it was shocking, horrifying, and gruesome. It furthered a specific plot and instilled emotions of rage, bitterness, sadness, and a deep sense of loss. From a narrative sense, it was grand and foretelling. I liked that.

What I do not like, however, is that it seems in Shadowlands the story is being edited. If not completely being forgotten, the burning of Teldrassil is being heavily ignored and tweaked in favour of showcasing off the Horde in a cleaner image. Downplaying the mass genocide that occurred by the will and hands of some of the Hordes most predominate members.

If these changes do go past Alpha it is a sign that Blizzard has no respect for their own writing, and no worth placed on their own narrative. You do not write a world-shattering plot point, then conveniently ignore it and the consequences of those actions in the very next chapter of the story - all in an effort to make one faction look less bloodthirsty and evil.

I am all for waiting until the Beta and more information comes out before I pass my final judgment. This is the Alpha after all, and for all I know this could all be one of Blizzard’s false leads.

I just pray to Elune that Blizzard stands by their narrative. This isn’t a small retcon, or a tweak; it is literally about the near-genocide of an entire race, and namely a civilian population too.

:four_leaf_clover:

23 Likes

Well written post. But going by BFA’s standard of stories what was in Alpha mostly made it to live with minor edits so this is probably happening.

:frowning:

1 Like

Or it’s alpha and it hasn’t all be implemented.

BUT NO, it’s all, THE SKY IS FALLING! MY TREE IS BURNING! WHERE’S DAVID? OR HIS BAGS?

4 Likes

We can have NE npcs saying “Remember Teldrassil” if that makes you feel better.

3 Likes

During which they will fight evil snakemen, witches, cannibal trolls, and traitors to the throne. None of which has anything to do with Teldrassil beyond it being an escalation in a war that sends them to Zandalar/Kul Tiras for reinforcements in the first place.

Is this a serious statement? LOL

Hey guys just forget how Teldrassil was destroyed because BfA was the Horde do everything train and the Alliance leadership once again does nothing and moves the story along while being complete morons.

Yea let’s just forget about MAJOR PLOT POINTS because the overall story of BfA was COMPLETELY ONE SIDED and poorly written.

8 Likes

Foresaken 2004-2019 Gank the living death TO ALL!!!

Foresaken 2020: ”I LOVE YOU!” hugs gnome

6 Likes

To be fair, the burning of Teldrassil was a prepatch event, since they did it that way they would have to design something new so players could experience it again. I don’t even think new players right now can see that event if I am right?

Let’s be honest, it’s not about plot points being overlooked, no one is asking for the events of Wrath to be included, or the events of MoP, no one is asking for a synopsis of the Saurfang/Baine/Thrall arc. People are just trying to be outraged because they feel as if this is proof that they were right, or something.

If you see it this way, why would you not be pleased with it being removed?

1 Like

There have been NPCs in previous expansions that let you view cinematics/cutscenes, but I can’t think of anything like that in BfA off the top of my head. So no, new players won’t be able to see that unless they go to youtube or something.

How many copies of exactly the same thread is needed?

New undead characters created once Shadowlands launches are coming in at a time when Sylvanas has already buggered off to Shadowlands. They had nothing to do with the burning of the Tree. Why would their intro blurb mention it? They’re going to be either following Calia (most likely) or Lilian Voss (less likely), hence why their motto has changed and they’re now working to “protect the living”.

Additionally, the remaining undead have been foresaken (heh) by Sylvanas and, as a result, why would they continue to espouse her motto?

People need to stop blindly believing every opinion they see as though they’re correct.

7 Likes

This is good advice, and why I stressed that waiting for more information was a necessity before making any kind of final decision on the matter. I simply wanted to express why such a change would not suit me personally, if this event did come to pass.

Patience is a virtue, as they say.

:four_leaf_clover:

7 Likes

This has nothing to do with anything.

This could be possible, but only time will tell.

Retconning story does not make things better. I don’t have a problem with them destroying Teldrassil, i have ALWAYS SAID if you are going to invade cities and do things, then do it right and destroy it. No more garbage like SoO. What i have a problem with is just washing things over…just like dumbass Anduin walked into Org. and made peace with a bunch of people that perpetrated Genocide against his staunchest ally. There are no words for how poorly that garbage was written, just like the end of SoO…a big nothing burger where apparently Alliance was supposed to have it’s “fist pump” moment. I mean it’s complete and utter GARBAGE.

If you are just going to have the Alliance leadership be so incredibly stupid and so one minded toward peace at any cost no matter who dies or is murdered or how many soldiers die or how many lands are destroyed or lost…then just have them surrender to the Orcs now. I mean this whole heartedly…if Anduin was my king i would DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER to assassinate him, he is the absolute definition of a garbage leader.

Anduin’s point of view: Oh sorry Tyrande i can’t help you even though your entire nation is burning but if you just wait…Oh sure Saurfang here is “EVERY LAST TROOP” i have to help you out oh and here is my fathers sword because…story. Oh Sylvanas flew off and is gone…EVERYONE IS FORGIVEN, no problems with the genocide or the fact you blighted our troops and your own, no one did anything but Sylvanas and Nathanos let’s have peace. IT’s RIDICULOUSLY ABSURD writing and it fall in under it’s own weight of stupidity.

So yea to whitewash over the destruction of Teldrassil and the genocide perpetrated on the Night Elves…and to a lesser extent the blighting of UC, it should be called out for what it is and that is a giant steamy pile of garbage.

If that is what is going on.

3 Likes

You’re asking them to make new content, they won’t put that much efforts. I doubt that. That’s my point.

1 Like

Blizzard legitimately taking the Burning of Teldrassil out would be stupid. It happened. It was a big enough event that you can’t retcon it out.

That being said, jesus you Night Elf fans need to stop taking things so damn personal. It’s always the same stuff.

“How can they treat their fanbase like this. How can they do this to us. I hope you writers get fired for what they did to us!”

“Absolutely disgusting!”

Get a grip and hopefully a life after it.

3 Likes

If they are ACTUALLY doing this, yes it should be called out. They’re super interesting parts of the games story line and them being ret conned out is absolutely dumb. I hope we hear confirmation that this is not happening.

I don’t think making new content means you don’t get to address the old content or even make proper reference to what happened. That’s all i’m getting at.

Edit: and by the way something must be going on at Blizz cause all of a sudden i can’t write on the forums or play WoW…lots of lag and dropouts both in the game and on the forums.