[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

Hm… ok maybe blizzard is going somewhere interesting with this after alll

2 Likes

Them acknowledging that there’s more to a culture than being ineffective and politically impotent off-shoots of Orcish or Human society is amazing in and of itself.

5 Likes

I vibe with this hard. Having a spot you can look at and go “Oh snap, this is too dangerous for me, have to get strnger and come back later” is a huge RPG element to me. Gives a sense of progression and adds variety to the world.

3 Likes

Same. It’s why I was pretty bummed with people complaining about Nazjatar being difficult (especially the first month or so…). This was Azsharas battleground, why wouldn’t it be a difficult zone?

That zone & player power progression is pretty important in an RPG. It’s why I have a huge issue with World mob scaling.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really say that Nazjatar being difficult was the problem as much as it was the vastly inflated tedium and annoying swarms of mobs. Depending on what class or spec you were playing, it would turn into a nightmare because you simply couldn’t kill enemies fast enough before more would wander over/respawn, which would either murder you outright or bog you down completely. It encouraged a mentality of “nothing here is worth fighting, the best tactic is to run through everything and pray that I don’t get dazed this time.”

6 Likes

Saaaaame. It just feels so pointless when even equipping better gear makes mobs match your strength.

Gosh, BfA’s leveling is so depressing since you get weaker with each level.

#TeamForsworn

The mobs being difficult is what I saw most of the time. “It takes 5-10 attacks to kill [x] creature when it should take 2 hits with my dungeon iLvL gear”. Sure I can agree it’s tedious, but so is the early game of any new zone and in RPG in the most general of senses. It’s a basic design at this point. Do I wish it was more than that? Sure? Don’t really know how you could do that though other than making everything a vehicle combat system instead of playing our characters.

Once I got geared as a Holy Priest, I was killing and pulling multiple creatures in Nazjatar with ease. A Holy Priest.

The swarm of mobs even makes sense because why wouldn’t there be swarms of Naga around Azsharas palace?

Now if you want to say that flying should be enabled from the get-go and Pathfinder should die in a fire, then yeah, totally agree. Them not embracing flying makes for boring landscapes and innovation. The fact that Vashj’ir felt more akin to what I always imagined for Azsharas homebase still sours Nazjatar for me.

Those spiders you killed back at 100 still taking 4 hits sometimes runs me up the wall.

Speaking of mob density…

Can we talk about the Vale and the assaults?

Because Light almighty every five seconds I’m aggroing something.

1 Like

Bugs me that we have these core characters, like Jaina or Liadrin for example, sitting at our base camps instead of going out on patrols clearing the pathway.

Same with any general patrols or any NPC character. Doesn’t make sense that it’s only ever our PC going out into the world. Seeing other NPC band of adventures taking on the enemies would be great. Kind of like how they work on the island expeditions.

4 Likes

Throne of Thunder was :ok_hand:
Especially Lor’themar.

4 Likes

My favourite part of mob density is how ye old loading screen tips are like “stick to the path, there’s danger out there” and then you look at the road and there’s two designated mob patrols and then at least seven different wolves crossing over it

5 Likes

There’s a few events that occur in some zones that make me pause and question things.

There’s a noodle cart in the middle of the road in the Vale during the minor assaults. As a pandaren of culture, I applaud this man but why is he out by himself wheeling noodles?

The minor bug assault in Uldum has a similar thing, except this cart is refugees. Why are there refugees in the middle of the assault zone and why are they acting so useless?

Say what you want about WoD, but I remember Exarch Akama showing the farmers how to fight off the orcs with farming sickles. Azeroth has been at war for so long, everyone should probably by now know well enough on how to defend themselves/fight some mobs. Why must it always be I, the dashing yet unassuming chunky Legolas, to save these guys?

Save yourselves for once.

While we’re on the topic of the Vale, the map is so buggy there that doing any kind of coordinated effort (whether PvE or PvP) seems impossible without good communication.

1 Like

Reminds me of Shrek 4 with Cookie prioritizing his cooking cart when they were going to war. Chimichangas are important.

1 Like

Who is he selling to, though? Mantid don’t eat noodles. Mogu would enslave him and keep the noodles.

There are literally zero friendly NPCs unless you count the Shado-Pan still on the wall in the other zones.

1 Like

I’m not saying Pandaren have weird priorities…but y’all have weird priorities.

“Easiest way to peace, is through their stomachs!”

1 Like

Nazjatar wasn’t difficult.
It was a nightmare.

And not the “This is the home turf of one of Azeroth’s most powerful big bads” levels of Nightmare like Icecrown Glacier was back in the Wrath days.

The zone is a poorly designed piece of absolute garbage with damage sponge-y enemies in packs so dense it felt more like something you’d find in City of Heroes.

It was, in short, Anti-Fun. I’m all for challenging content for the sake of challenging content, but Nazjatar was only a challenge to my patience and sanity. Especially in regards to completing Pathfinder. You know you have fundamentally failed level design when the principle defense of an area is “It gets better when you unlock flying”.

I’m normally 100% supportive of a dev team on any game because people are passionate about their products and do hard work even on mediocre affairs, but in Nazjatar’s case whoever was responsible for that abomination of a zone should feel guilt and shame the rest of their lives.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Nazjatar.

8 Likes

I personally enjoyed it. During the 2 months of playing BFA, I enjoyed Nazjatar the most. Vastly prefer it over Mechagon as well (though that jetpack was really freaking cool and it’s incredibly disappointing it’s not a mount).

Your criticisms are fair though.

1 Like

Were it not for Mechagon, I’d have left WoW far sooner than I did. Mechagon was a joy, to me. Honestly did not mind anything about that zone or the questing structure. Kept me playing and having fun.

I mean, I hit exalted with the Resistance as opposed to Nazjatar, where I dropped that faction like a bad habit once I met the requirements for Pathfinder and never went back.

2 Likes

It’s pretty amazing to be a polar opposite in this opinion XD. Shows how diverse for community is.

I didn’t reach exalted with either, by that point, RNG gear had broken my spirit and motivation for the expansion so I had focused on RPing until my sub lapsed.

1 Like