[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

Scarlet stuff has always had real life analogs

Its why people who openly rp them get flack for it

it’s never felt this blatant.

It’s one of those things I have specifically avoided looking into because even if I was still playing I know that it’s something I’d just be ignoring wholesale for the sake of my own sanity.

Ignorance bliss, something.

Good call!

Probably because it never was this blatant. Scarlet RP was more pushed away because of the usual nerd powertripping and, you know, Scarlets are antagonists. Most of the truly heinous viewpoints eventually shifted over to Arathi guilds.

But this isn’t too shocking. Sylvanas’ motto was basically “make azeroth great again.”

So about the Scarlet stuff. Since the Crown is being shattered, does that mean that the remaining Scourge is going to begin rampaging? If so, then the Brotherhood makes sense that it’s making a move. Also I’d like to see Blizzard bring some Stormwind nobility in the picture as supporters of the Brotherhood.

1 Like

While a neat idea, that would be especially weird since Stormwind Nobles haven’t been a thing since vanilla.

That’s why I want it to happen :sob: we need the noble houses to bring some conflict to the Stormwind humans. So much wasted potential.

2 Likes

I swear back in the day they were just a bunch of paranoid Light users who thought everyone else was already infected by the plague of undeath. Thus they couldn’t trust anyone. It was more of a zombie apocalypse society being consumed by fear rather than blatant hatred of others.

What happened? That was an actually interesting motivation for villains. :pensive:

3 Likes

If I wanted to be reasonably cynical I’d say “topical sells”

Cata happened and they made everything a joke or a popculture reference.

3 Likes

We don’t, really. We have tons of opportunities to bring conflict to the Alliance that make more sense, up to and including the king being okay with genocide of his own people.

1 Like

He will genocide his people to fuel the Maw for his waifus Sylvanas and Calia.

Not paid for by the Scarlet Brotherhood.

1 Like

Is that when they randomly acquired German accents or was that MoP?

That was MoP. In Cataclysm, the Scarlet plot was that they were raising a super soldier that eventually became Lillian Voss.

1 Like

The Crown breaking is going to cause a second Scourge invasion, like from Wrath.

I think the pre-patch was said to be “The Scourge invasion and Bolvar getting us to Icecrown to get to the Shadowlands”.

So at least a resurgence of the Scarlet Brotherhood has merit.

Well, it eventually morphed into a form of hatred, especially the later stages of the crusade. That’s what they were but what they are now is an organization living off of bigotry, and they have been since Wrath at the least.

I think it’s a very realistic shift for them.

3 Likes

I am so glad that they are extending the experience buff, because I was 100% primed to start complaining about how garbage that reputation bonus is as a replacement. Between how controversial it is to still have Allied Races locked behind grinding Legion content for weeks, the indications that those requirements might be removed in Shadowlands, and the willful exclusion of the 8.3 factions… that honestly would’ve felt more like an insult than an incentive.

Now, at least it feels a little more innocuous.

Once they gave the Scarlets faux-German accents and had them burning books and stuff it was pretty much over for the fantasy-specific stuff.

6 Likes