[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

The big thing here for me is if this is more of that “rented abilities” bull*$&^.

Oh I agree, but luckily if I end up playing, I won’t be doing any content worth min/maxing for. Folks concerns are 100% fair and hopefully Blizzard has listened to this concern and will make swapping painless.

Very excited to see PvP vendors coming back. Covenants will be really fun for some characters too.

Nervous about this. This really does feel like a make it or break it expansion for them.

I’m happy to see PvP vendors are back, but the damage has been done.
If the entirety of the entry level bracket is still filled with people who massively outgear PvP-exclusive players, nothing will change. We need a progression curve again. People don’t like being crapped on by people 50 ilevels above BG gear at the starting MMR - and it’s why I don’t enjoy arenas anymore. Like, 1600 games feel as hard as 2100+ games from a few expansions ago simply because of the gear.

I’m also holding out on some other big things like any acknowledgement of the faction imbalance (I want to pug M+ at higher keys without transferring, thanks), if anything similar to corruption is in the books (ew no), and if I have to grind on and off all week just to remain raid viable.

Also, not looking forwards to having my entire playstyle potentially change again.

I’m being negative, but it’s simply because I want them to do good.
They seem to be listening this time around.

4 Likes

The promised class changes post:

Thanks, I hate it.

1 Like

Warrior changes looking weird.
I welcome many of the abilities coming back, but some of them are odd.

Slam for fury? How’s that going to work with our current playstyle? All our rage gets dumped into rampage.
Fury’s actually really well liked right now; can we not break what’s not broken?

Arms is getting piercing howl? While also having hamstring? Is hamstring just going to be the doesnodamage melee ability for weird niche uses then? Cause that’s a bit too niche - unless hamstring’s off GCD again, it’s objectively always going to be worse.

It’ll be nice to have our defensive abilities back baseline again, but some of these changes seem pointless, and like they’re going to make - Fury at the least - clunky to play.

i think honestly the only reason slam is back is so they can give us fervor of battle.

otherwise it probably isnt worth using.

1 Like

Yeah.
I can see myself talenting away from having to use it. I don’t play at the level I need to min-max if it’s the “go-to” anymore, and frankly, if it forces clunky gameplay, I won’t.

Shadow’s looking spicy though.

2 handed frost nice.
The Paladin changes look great. Shadowlands is looking more promising the more I see from it.

The more I read about this expansion is the more promising it is looking. I am actually really feeling optimistic about it right now.

i dont like all dks having ghoul as baseline. i dont really care for rogues all having poisons again. getting rid of maelstrom on shamans is amazing, and a lot of the unprunes are great for everyone else.

let’s see what more they do, huh.

Said pretty much everything that was on my mind ^

2 Likes

It’s a bit difficult to not get caught in this hype train. I really like what I read for Paladins and Mages.

Specifically Mages though, ALTER TIME IS BACK YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! And Mirror Image is baselined! Squeeeeeeee~~~~

I’m actually getting excited for Shadowlands :sob: need Alpha now.

Bellular is really on point with so many of his criticisms.

im cautious.

i got very excited for warlords and bfa, and was sorely disappointed by both. keep your expectations low, people. maybe this time, if you expect little, you might be surprised by something actually great.

3 Likes

You’re right, but I’m just happy to get excited for SL in some way.

2 Likes

I still need to sit down and dig into the post but as a completely subjective and unfair gripe, I really wish that it was presented with less flair and prose. I don’t need to know how bloody death strike is just tell me what it’s intended to do.

That said from a very, very narrow first glance I too worry about how the proposals are swinging right back into bloat territory. Or so it looked.

Proper condensed edit; It sure is funny how this pre-alpha class post is full of window dressing and distressingly out of context ability names that has no meaningful indication of the effects expected to utility or rotation.

I mean, in fairness, that’s all it’s supposed to be but like… What part of half of these changes am I supposed to care about? The parts that indicate a very clear and intense reworking of rotational gameplay or the part where my Arms warrior gets… Shield Slam… For some reason.

I’m less worried about bloat and more worried about the fact that there is a very, very big chance that everything suggested in Ion’s post is a lie.

6 Likes

I’m sure everyone’s heard the memes about “take a thing away, then give it back two expansions later so you can say you’re listening to the community,” so I won’t bother repeating it here.

But man, I never thought I’d be so happy to have Maelstrom gone. Feeling like a discount warrior was the worst.

3 Likes

I’m a little bummed they didn’t take the opportunity to give Enhancement a better name. “Enhancement” is just such a delicate-sounding word.

1 Like