[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

The way I’m interpreting it is that you will get your RNG gear from BGs still and you will upgrade it throughout the season. No gear purchases, only the upgrade tokens.

Elite PvP gear tokens will probably be locked behind ratings (like they currently are). Conquest will probably be capped again (not a problem really) and you can only upgrade your BG gear to conquest level once a week.

RNG gear from pvp has never and will never be a good idea and the entire system should be scrapped.

Let people work towards buying what they need, not hope and pray the 8386th box they get isn’t useless.

2 Likes

I’m telling ya, this is the ‘compromise’ team. There will never be determined gear again.

Oh I agree, hence me burying my expectations

Alpha will be dropping soonish, so hopefully our speculation will be wrong. But yeah.

Yeah, I should clarify I hope my expectations are wrong. If not for me than for those who are still playing.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong but Blizzard has shot and killed any good will they may have had.

As far as I’m concerned anything they produce will be expected to be hastily painted dung until proven otherwise.

I’m probably not the person to speak about what PvP gear needs, since if I had my way, PvP wouldn’t have any kind of gear progression at all.

A theme for the entirety of BfA for me is that is the feeling that I have basically no control over how much DPS I do. It’s almost literally impossible to know just by looking at it whether X piece of gear is an upgrade from Y piece of gear when you introduce any sort of ambiguity, and the extremely skewed value for stuff like sockets and good Corruption effects means that, even though gear is raining from the sky, the vast majority of it is totally worthless.

Add to that the fact that Corruption, while interesting on paper, is terrible in practice (since you rely on having as high corruption as possible to do the most DPS, yet the whole point of corruption is that it eventually makes fighting stuff unplayably obnoxious and cumbersome) and the fact that we’ll have to live with it for upwards of a year at this point basically kills my desire to do any kind of high-end content.

2 Likes

I hope that its just gear we buy from vendors for doing pvp. The random gearing isn’t fun at all.

3 Likes

It really isn’t.\

Maybe they’ll go full Benthic and let us purchase gear token slots that get randomized :crazy_face:

I agree completely with this statement. Corruption’s biggest flaw for me was the massive power gains at seemingly random.

If corruption was simply “you get 5% more haste from all sources and gain 15+ corruption” that wouldn’t be too bad. It’d be somewhat less hectic than “Every hit has a chance to cause 40k damage stacking up to ten times at random” and “On occasion devastate the enemy with a blast that deals 18% of your total HP and pull things through walls.”

On the topic, I am hopeful to see what is being done. As much hate as WoD receives, classes were fun to play and gearing up in PvP was fun as well. So hopefully Holinka sprinkles some of that back in with some of the good QoL we got in Legion and BfA.

I guess I’m missing where any of this is new or encouraging.

“Whoops, we went too far, now let’s go back too far the other way” has been the WoW model for years and it looks like that’s what’s happening here.

Hence, we can probably expect something close to WoD.

As long as it has more content than WoD then it would be a good expansion. From a gearing systems point of view WoD was fine. There was a few class design things that I didn’t like such as Blood death knights but I generally liked the spot most of my other classes were in.

WoD sucked because there was no content.

2 Likes

I fully believe that WoD would have been fine if the Ogre content didn’t get cut.

1 Like

Yeah, no, I totally bet there will be more content this time. It’s due to be slated right after the High Elf rollout and the personal handwritten apology we’ll get from Ion.

1 Like

The apology will be classified as “Morally Grey” with “more story to come from it”.

2 Likes

Cant really agree with this one personally. BfA has more content than WoD and I wholeheartedly believe that BfA is vastly inferior to WoD.

I would gladly take WoDs no content to BfAs content so offensively bad I quit.

2 Likes

You can purchase a personalized apology from the WoW shop for 5$.

1 Like

$5 if you buy a non-refundable year-long sub.
It’s 49.99 per paragraph otherwise.

But hey, I hear it comes with a free pet when you complete the set.
Looks like a cute little dumpster fire called “Ragnar’oops”
Too soon, executives. You apologized too soon!

3 Likes

Unironically want.

1 Like

Covenant abilities sneak-peak listed now:

Necrolords ability sounds dope. Interested in seeing what the ability for Paladin will be if this is your covenant.

Also, Unholy Nova sounds absolutely awesome if you like decay as a Priest theme.