[SPOILERS] Regarding the Runecarver

SPOILER So, could the Runecarver be the Primus? We know the Runecarver lost his memories, if I am not mistaken, the Primus was also the one to teach the blacksmith during the questline everything she knew as well as how to craft the runeblade.

Of course both the Runecarver and the Primus work with runes as well as the “locked helmet” or whatever those are called he wears, is very reminiscent of the Primus’ skull, but without the antlers/horns, as if the Jailer made a “cruel joke” signifying that he is no long a threat.

I might be reaching here, but I do believe that there are quite a few similarities between them.

6 Likes

I don’t think you are reaching at all. I had the same thoughts the moment I saw him. He is the one Eternal One who is missing. It makes a lot of sense that they are one and the same.

2 Likes

It’s pretty obvious that he is. Same silhouette, same profession, same size, same skinny figure, same voice, same mask. I do wonder how he got captured in the first place though, considering how powerful and clever he apparently was.

1 Like

I’m hard of hearing so I’m not an authority on this, but someone else said the voice was different.

No.

More fingers than the Primus has.

My only issue is that the Primus has four fingers. The Runecarver has five.
Otherwise I’d be onboard.

2 Likes

Not exactly, but that’s because he was wearing clothes.

He was hiding it before? I got nothing

It seems pretty clear to me, yeah. They said the Primus is a master weaponsmith, they’re both thin, they wear similar helmets, and the Primus is still missing as of the end of this patch. The number of fingers is the only thing giving me pause, but given everything else works I could see that being an honest oversight.

Huh. Yeah, you’re right… Didn’t think about the fingers. The only way I could see that happening is if the Voice of the Primus isn’t the Primus himself, but his speaker that left his messages or something of the sort.

I take it with a mountain of salt, because Danuser interviews are the opposite of solid lore, but when asked about this, he responded with the idea that there are others in the Shadowlands who learned from the Primus, such as Heirmir, and that perhaps the Runecarver is one such individual.

That said, there are a lot of visual similarities (but a lot of differences too) that connect them, as well as the obvious profession ties that could easily have the Runecarver be the Primus.

Personally, though, I’m kind of hoping they aren’t, just because I want to see the Primus as the huge badass he is, stomping around the battlefield somewhere in his armor, not chained in the Jailer’s basement all expansion making us legendaries.

4 Likes

Fair, but what a buildup it could make for the final raid. Considering we got to break one of his chains in the first part of Shadowlands, presumably we will break more as the expansion goes (allowing us to use more legendaries as it goes.). With only two more chains to go, I’m betting he’s gonna be very free before it’s all over, and if he is the Primus, I’ma bet he’s gonna be very big part of the final battle.

Am I the only one that looks at the Runecarver and sees the original concept art of the Jailer? It may just be the finger nails and toe nails.

Zovaal has the same finger/toe nails but much less exaggerated compared to the Runecarver.

The Primus’s fingers look more like claws than nails, although I think it’s possible the Primus’s whole outfit is armor and the hands are gauntlets or gloves.

Also I thought it was implied the Primus has only recently gone missing and the Runecarver has been imprisoned for potentially since at least before WC3, maybe even since the beginning of the Jailer being banished? I could be wrong though

1 Like

I just unlock him the other day and yeah… I think it would make perfect sense… Specially if his memories were drain away… I can’t wait to see what happen to the Primus… Ill try to remember to comeback and say: “You were right!” :smile:

If it happens to be true, of course…

To anyone who thinks the number of fingers he has disqualifies him from being the Primus, you severely overestimate Blizzard’s attention to detail, and you will be shocked when it is revealed that he IS the Primus. Because he obviously is, get outta here.

I mean, again, it’s not hard to believe that maybe the Voice of the Primus is not the Primus himself, but his speaker. The seat of the Primus statue has 5 fingers and so does the Runecarver.

HMMMMMM

That reminds me of my favorite anime, Trinity Blood.

Basically the Empress of the Vampires likes her privacy so she never reveals her face, and has one of the nobles pretend to be her every single day for a few thousand years now, so literally nobody knows what she looks like.

I’m not yet sold on the idea the Runecarver is the missing Primus. His disappearance was implied to be pretty recent, while the Runecarver implies he’s been chained up in Torghast for a long time.

It’s rather likely the Runecarver is responsible for forging the Helm of Domination and Frostmourne, though. Would make Ve’nari’s warning not to trust him pretty valid.

3 Likes

Ven’ari told us not to trust him!?! Sounds like more and more evidence that he is Zovaal with the Jailer being the Arbiter’s Body stripped of it’s core!

The notion that the guy who set up the broken system of the Shadowlands plus the most vile of criminals are the Villains of the Shadowlands is an interesting notion!

Per Danuser, the Primus has been gone a long time.

Everyone in Torghast has no sense of time whatsoever anyway.

Except a Long Time for the devs is anywhere from 2 years to 2 million years lol

1 Like

I’m not sold on the idea that the Primus is still a meat and blood person. People’ve been talking about how Maldraxxus itself is a “living” entity. What if the Primus is Maldraxxus?

1 Like