[SPOILERS]Gilnean heritage

Ah okay, I didn’t fully understand what was going on, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was the real Nathanos.

1 Like

So what it really means to be worgen is… not being a worgen?

18 Likes

No, being a gilnean is a balance between being civilized and not let hatred and fury consume you.

There would be no difference between a gilnean and a feral worgen if you succumb to the fury of the curse.

Haha ty, the moment that i saw this shoulders and tophat i knew that is what i wanted back in legion.

as for the heritage… if you remove the shoulders i think that is…humm decent. personal opinion.

2 Likes

I agree, the shoulders detract a bit from the mog. They look good on Genn’s more dynamic model from HotS, but they don’t really add much on the more stiff WoW model. The shoulderless jacket emulates WoW’s version of Genn better.

2 Likes

This questline is really inconsequential.

Dialogue wise i’m okay with them going “We’re Gilneans first, worgen second”, that’s good. But the actual questline exposes the complete opposite:

“I need to understand my people’s struggles”
goes through struggle
“Actually that’s too much struggle, it doesn’t matter anyway”

I feel like they were trying to emphasize the human aspect of the duality and the quest did nothing but bombard you with night elf and druid stuff. This was a worgen questline, not a Gilneas one.

And then the icing on the cake:

All this strength, all this fury… it won’t bring him back. It wont bring anyone back.
But the feral bloodlust turned me into a rabid beast. I nearly lost myself to the rage.
I see now. My people are not defined by this curse. They have held on to who they are in spite of it.

I’m glad you see it Tess because I don’t. I guess I’ll take your word for it.

Wouldn’t it have been much more powerful to have her struggle with the curse and develop her into a position of leadership in spite of it? Maybe use this opportunity to show some more negative aspects of the curse in the process? Her initial point of being a sympathetic figure for her people had a lot of merit and then she backtracked like a moron. That was seriously such a bizarre spin after acknowledging the fact that the curse does take its toll on the afflicted which proved her previous assesment right.

Deciding not to make Tess a worgen was a mistake. Focusing on the curse instead of the country was a mistake. It tells you one thing and then shows you another. This quest could’ve been done much better (nowhere to go but up at this point).

20 Likes

Instead they just went nowhere, I think they’ve really lost the plot on race fantasy and lack a coherent plan for how they want each races’ themes to be.

Worgen perhaps present the biggest challenge because not everyone is going to agree that the Gilnean style meshes well with feral werewolf fantasy, but personally I think it can be a great blend as I see a lot of potential for Gilneas having more gothic fantasy in it and that’s a good compliment to werewolf mythology. Unfortunately, I think part of the problem is that WoW is just not that type of fantasy setting that lends credit to that type of storytelling, as it’s something belongs more in something like the Diablo universe or Bloodborne, so Worgen won’t really see much potential because Warcraft’s overall setting and world doesn’t call for their themes like it does the more high fantasy races.

4 Likes

Goblin one looks rushed too. Blizzard must’ve felt pressured to get it done as fast as possible because people thought it was coming in 8.2.5.

2 Likes

So by the end of the quest the only thing that happens is… the player characters is now “officially” part of the Greyguard. Tess is still a human, Genn is still the king, and we are still refugees while Gilneas is just there, empty, ready for the claiming

I can’t wait until we just give it to Calia and Derek out of the kindness of our heart so they can settle down their new adopted Horde people and we accept living in the streets of Stormwind forever.

Also speaking of good looks, the new Kul Tiran gun-axe has a golden version that goes perfect with that mog Ethel.

Like I can’t believe they made the perfect weapon for it one expansion later, while leaving the dungeon set waiting… and the recolored blue version without shoulders…

2 Likes

Honestly?

Tarnish up the colors a bit, give them armored claws and boots, and lengthen the jacket to something similar to Genn, maybe throw some cosmetic chain mail in there between joints and it would improve it immensely.

It’s growing on me (especially with the better lighting, and without the shoulders) but it’s missing the idea that the Worgen are typically close combat fighters.

4 Likes

You know, it’s not that bad when you take the shoulders off. Kinda sad it’s more of a dinner jacket than a longcoat.

3 Likes

Is it really a surprise, though? I think the devs have stated that Tess isn’t and won’t ever be a Worgen. This means that eventually, the Worgen will probably be led by a human “queen” (but we won’t ever see Gilneas get reclaimed, though).

Also, why don’t we have any major female Worgen characters anyway? Literally every single important female Gilnean is human. The closest we have to an important female Worgen character is Celestine, and she basically doesn’t even do anything besides stand around in the Druid class hall and appear in the starting zone.

8 Likes

Difficulty isn’t really a barrier if they’re not even trying, the gothic horror aspect was entirely tied to Gilneas before they decided to simply hand it out to Kul Tiras and forget about their older playable race entirely.

And I really do think it can be done, epic fantasies are a bit more dilutable in the setting but there’s definitely room (and tools) to create darker stories if that’s what they decide to do. Drustvar being a great example of this (which would be awesome if they didn’t steal Gilneas’ niche in the process but alas).

Blizzard should really learn to take some inspiration from sources that do a better job than them (especially when creating racial armor tsk tsk).

I did bring that up before:

none of the female Gilnean characters are worgen, I’ll give Blizzard an easy copout and suggest that they didn’t want to bring extra attention to the failure that was the new worgen female models.

Except they can’t use the model as an excuse anymore. I guess Blizzard doesn’t like female gilnean characters having a cool story :zipper_mouth_face:

11 Likes

I really liked their Heritage Armor. I’m not entirely sold on shoulders but the rest looks cool.
Don’t burn me as I’m not trying to be sexist or anything like that but male worgen looks cool with the jacket and femal with the robe minus shoulders has an elegant feminine style.

What about that captain from the Alliance Garrison from WoD? She fell in love with Baros Axelston who got killed and is now stuck in her worgen form out of grief? Not that it’s likely her story will ever be brought back and continued…

4 Likes

The heritage quest also added a curious implication:

Just when everyone forgot about the curse’s pandemic property they confirmed that both Genn and the PC (quite possibly every other worgen as well) can still transfer the curse to other people, yet somehow after clawing and biting a god knows how many horde no one else got infected or volunteered to it.

Since this plothole can’t be explained without some hefty headcanon chances are it’s never going to be brought up again anyway.

4 Likes

i just kind of figured you have to intend for them to be infected, or perhaps only humans and elves are vulnerable to it

a gnome once tried to become a gnomegen, but the worgen working with him said that he was unlikely to be able to contract the worgen curse

3 Likes

It’s never been explained but I liked the fan theory that Worgen can only affect Night Elves and Humans because Arugal tampered with it so that could infect humans. (If I’m not mistaken, there were old notes in vanilla SFK that mentioned him experimenting with the curse.)

1 Like

Always kinda wished they Genn would purposefully transfer his curse among the Refugee humans in stormwind and raise an army of worgen to help take back the lost kingdoms.

If he was their new Alpha he would have a giant pack of powerful natural killers able to resist the Plague and tear apart the undead.

Alas we will never get that story.

2 Likes

The more I come back to think of this questline, the more glad I am that I just decide to live in my own fanfic ideas and just ignore the hollow storytelling. (It’s all forgettable cheese made to supplement the gameplay anyway, so working as intended.)

Makes me feel far less empty when I just explore my own ideas than trying to get invested in Blizzard’s anymore.

2 Likes

Just when I thought we’d get a neat questline to bring us back to Gilneas and scout it out for potential resettlement… nope. We get a story that goes nowhere. Disappointing.

2 Likes