[Spoiler maybe] Question regarding Ursoc

Hi! I have a question regarding Ursoc’s fate… Would it, lore-wise, affect druids’ ability to shapeshift into bears? What do you think? :bear:

1 Like

I would doubt it strongly. My impression of druid forms is, for the most part, that they takes on an aspect of nature, as opposed to emulating a particular wild god.

From a night elven perspective I believe this to still be true, however groups like Druid of the Claw venerate(d, one supposes!) Ursoc as their patron, and would certainly consider themselves to take on the aspect of Ursoc. But I would say that they could consider themselves closer to Ursoc, rather than taking on his image directly.

So, basically, no. Druids will be fine, save perhaps emotionally.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure. Vanilla had you learning your bear form from relatively generic animal spirits. But, in Legion specifically, your forms became very much tied to certain Druidic sects, and their respective Wild God, but even that wasn’t consistent. The Ashen could still shapeshift, even though Ashamane had been dead for millenia (though, admittedly, still alive in Ardenweald), but all it took for the Druids of the Talon to lose access to their form was the theft of an idol tied to Aviana.

So, I think the answer is a resounding “maybe”. With, of course, no gameplay affect for PC Druids.

2 Likes

Of course, i’m asking because i RP this character and initially he was trained as a follower of Ursoc before deflecting to a different cult.

Hopefully not. I wasn’t a fan of the idea of our characters being shoved into a specific sect, instead of leaving the class fantasy more “neutral”. I don’t really want my druid to be dependant on Ursoc.

1 Like

You absolutely do not need to be a specific member of a druidic sect to use that animal form. Since there are more instances of it not being required (RE DOTTs), assume that you are still capable of using bear form.

3 Likes

It’s plausible. The backstory for my Monk is that he was a Druid of the Claw that lost his ability to shapeshift due to grief, when Ashamane couldn’t be found and ressurected in Cata. Then he heard rumors of a feline Wild God in a land lost in mists, went to Pandaria hoping to find Ashamane, but found Xuen instead.

Conversely, my Guardian Druid’s lost Ursoc a few times now (though, not as permanently as the current situation), and been fine. And will continue to be fine. Tenacity of the bear, and all that. That’s what’s great about RP. It’s up to you.

I know that, this character is no longer a druid of the claw but he was still trained as one and is still capable to shapeshift into a bear. My question is, would he still be able to do so taking into account Ursoc’s death?

That would depend on a few things, namely:

• reasons for leaving the Druids of the Claw,
  • what his feelings are towards them/Ursoc

If character is absolutely distraught over the death of Ursoc - compare with light users losing their abilities over lost faith - then yes, it might. However I’d say this is the most extreme of extremes, and something I strongly doubt your character would even be close to feeling, since he left them.

Not to mention, if you decided that your character did feel some strong way towards Ursoc, you could always just change the focus to Ursol, who is most certainly still alive and also very prominent.

My character just left the cult because he figured out he wasn’t really attuned to Ursoc due to his gentle nature, he would never grow as a druid if he didn’t left but he’s not really upset about it and didn’t really lose his faith, he just mainly worships a diferent ancient.
I don’t think he would know about Ursoc’s death, since he’s an apprentice, if he were to lose his ability to shapeshift due to Ursoc’s death he would just assume it’s because he left the cult or because he’s losing his skill as a druid

You’ve got nothing to worry about. Live your gentle bear fantasy.

2 Likes

I’m not really worried, i’m just trying to decide how to RP this boy once the new patch arrives, lol
I made this post to see what other people thought about Ursoc’s death and its impact on druids

I have a question, slightly related to the subject, but never had the guts to make a thread about it.

Is it possible for a druid to completely lose his druidic powers permanently? maybe a trauma? maybe he did something bad and was banished?

I think so, i read in the WoW comics that Broll Bearmantle lost his connection with every ancient but Ursoc due to trauma

I question how a void elf knows more about nelf lore than nelf players

1 Like

Cause we Void Elves know more than most :wink:

1 Like

But is not the form itself connected to a wild god? Forgive me if this isn’t canon, but in the comic “War of the Satyr,” the pack form (wolf form) was shown to carry with it the uncontrollable frenzy of Goldrinn, a fact that made it too dangerous for druids to use. True, this is only one example, but it does seem to establish a parallel with other druids, considering the Wild Gods that represent the classic druid forms are so prominent in the game (IE, Ursoc/Ursol, Ashamane, Aviana, Malorne)

Not necessarily. I would say that trolls’ druid forms are are based on the loa (wild god) that they worship, because they are given that power (supposedly) from the loa itself. That being said, why do Zandalari trolls take the form of the Zandalar cats and not Kimbul? (ingame explanation for this, but still, not the point.) Same with bear form - there is no Zandalari bear god, yet they have a bear form. Of course, that’s game mechanics - but the point stands.

The form is connected to the wild god insofar as they are the ‘progenitors’ (not really, but when you’re tens of thousands of years old animals, it’s a fair statement) of the animal that they represent. That would be it.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarification.

Np. What I said was in no way 100% factual canon though - it’s just my (if I may say so, learned) take on the situation.