Spell behavior on Burden of Power and spell queuing is now inconsistent beyond the "double-dip"

After going over examples ad nauseum on discord, it’s become clear that the way double dipping on burden of power is being prevented is by disallowing spell queueing into burden of power. This hasn’t fixed anything, it has just put artificial delays around the buff. This mess has created the following casting inconsistencies and broken the game’s buff logic:

Cast a single Barrage (one spell) when you have burden of power and that cast consumes Burden of Power and the next buff Glorious Incandescence with one cast. (one spell, two buffs consumed)

Cast arcane blast at 5 spheres and try to queue your next barrage and the barrage cast GOES OFF The blast procs burden of power, and the barrage goes off and clears your charges and does not interact with burden which is just left sitting there.
(Two spells, one buff consumed and one just…left to languish.)

The casts happen in the same order but the buffs now ignore the queueing. If this is intended, it is the stupidest manner in which this simple builder/spender rotation can be forced. You had a good thing and now the class’s buff and spell logic is so messed up. Thanks for burning us the week before we start competing for raid spots. If your goal was to break not just the class but the game, well done.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting everything in to words, I couldn’t do it without resorting to rage and insults because today has just put me in one of the worst moods I’ve been in for a long time.

I understand the frustration that stemmed from the removal of the double dipping but all of these inconsistencies are the result of players trying to force it work even after the change. There’s needless stubbornness on both sides of this issue. The bottom line is that Blizzard consider using the spell queueing system to double dip a “bug” or rather an unintended interaction. If you want change you have to meet them halfway.

So let’s get down to brass hacks. What is it that made the double dipping rotation fun? Was it pressing your buttons in a certain way? Surely not. Was it the bit of extra damage you got on the double dipping ABarr? Not really. No, it was being able to break the monotony of AB spamming in single target and being able to press ABarr more frequently. In other words, people like using ABarr and don’t want to constantly spam AB.

If that’s the ultimate goal then surely there are better ways to integrate ABarr into Arcane’s single target rotation than messing around with spell queueing and double dipping. I’ve made one such suggestion and there are others too so let’s try to be productive and find a way we can get what we want in a way that Blizzard is okay with instead of fighting them tooth and nail over what amounted to little more than a creative workaround to something that can be achieved in more direct ways.

1 Like

Is… Is that what the rotation was supposed to be? Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong but I assumed that the idea was to generate Burden of Power and then cast a Blast with a queued barrage. The way I’ve been doing it has been completely unaffected rotation-wise, but I could easily have been doing it wrong.

I assumed that the “double-dip” in question was letting Burden increase the damage of both a Blast and a Barrage. If the rotation is to get to 5/6 on generation then queue a barrage into a blast, it would make sense to me, logically, that that should never buff a blast and therefore not double dip since Blast shouldn’t be able to benefit from a buff that the completion of the cast is also generating.

If that’s the case I now have a better understanding of why Blizzard wanted to fix it…

Well, that didn’t last long did it? But hey, at least arcane was top tier for a week and a half. That’s about a week and a half more than it has been the last 10 years.

Blizzard giveth and Blizzard taketh away. And while the taketh seems to be exponentially greater than the giveth, we give thanks for our new rotation which is significantly more entertaining at the very least. Amen.

1 Like

Remember that they all sat in a room, probably talked about it, and thought it was a good idea. And they get paid for this nonsense.

Put it back and assume that you ducked up. Juste change the interaction of the spell for Arcane and let us play as we want

No, I think they were just listing all the ways in which industrious players on the mage discords have been trying to get around Blizzard’s hotfix to still find a way to work ABarr into the single target rotation, and failing because nothing works now. It’s another reason why I proposed the change to NP.

1 Like

No that was never the way it was intended to be played, I used that example to highlight the inconsistency in the behaviour of the spells/buffs now. In response to Kerathras, you still double dip nether precision, you just never never double dip when you have burden of power and 2 stacks NP. Abarr is still a part of the single target rotation, the rules are just different now and in my opinion the rules were better a week ago.

1 Like

They should also buff harmony a bit and make cc missiles do 10 hits instead of 8.

They should also make nether precision buff your next barrage after you spent 2 stacks as well.

Right, which is why I suggested the redesign of NP. It’s clear that players like to use ABarr more often in ST and this will achieve that goal while also removing the specter of another potential disruptive crackdown on double dipping because it doesn’t rely on that mechanic.