Spell batching in classic

I already re rolled warrior. My class is so buggy it isn’t worth to continue playing.

LOL cant blame you, warriors tend to crit more often any way… Not exactly sure why that is either.

Blizzard should be ashamed of such a low quality port, the amount of new bugs in this game is just inexcusable for such a large company.

Just got hit from no joke maybe 75 yards away by a melee attack off a target that trap just broke on… WTH is even up with that… Bactching?? maybe, but there has got to be more than that going on.

It’s the backport.

Under the Legion engine, the spell queue is not ejecting interrupts. And the leeway issue produces almost comical results.

As bug-ridden as Vanilla, even in patch 1.12, was – it never ever produced consistently game-breaking results like those described above.

Your abilities CAN be resisted. BUT when resisted you get a message stating that your countermove was resisted, or it is obvious (i.e., sheep failed).

However, a successful interrupt should bounce the interrupted incoming attack from the queue. This is not occurring. Consequently;

• You FD animation plays fine BUT combat not dropped
  • Same for Disengage (which has only a chance to succeed)
  • You Vanish - animation plays fine BUT incoming mob attack you interrupted by vanishing, executes anyway.
  • You sheep a mob as it is casting a lightning bolt. Poly is successful BUT sheep shoots lightning bolt at you anyway
  • You bubble, to avoid an incoming attack BUT despite bubble, attack seemingly penetrates like magic as if it weren’t there
  • You literally avoid an inc melee attack by making range BUT apparently equipped with “Go Go Gadget Arms” the mob stabs/hacks/slices/punches/bludgeons you anyway.
  • Your OP button lights up like a Christmas tree. (Silly rogue hit Evasion while fighting you) You POUND on OP button and yet. . . after the dodge/evasion effect ends, your OP would have executed but . . . cannot be used at this time.
  • You poly to cat form to immunize yourself from incoming attacks that can only affect your Druid form BUT you get mana drained anyway.
  • You are melee fighting another melee opponent. Your attacks against the mob/player are carefully regulated by GCD but… the mob has unlimited and stacking attacks against you.

Needed: reference client server running authentic 1.12

3 Likes

Add to the list of things spell batching breaks: Blizzarding at choke points in AV. Tried several times on my mage already to blizzard alliance as they ride past the towers in our keep. Every alliance in the game ran directly through the blizzard without getting slowed.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s not authentic at all, this game engine is so broken and I am not amused.

2 Likes

You have your answer to spell batching right here in this line - be sure to click the post for full context - but this line says it all.

1 Like

I’m a veteran player (not boasting just stating), I played through vanilla, took a short break between vanilla and TBC and again between TBC and WOTLK and quit early cata. I’ve also played on one server (to refresh) before classic. As the original poster stated, “the muscle memory” is strong for my characters and I could easily notice things feeling wrong. Timing on spells is all off and trying to do something ‘last second’ such as dropping a grounding totem just before someone finishes a cast (which worked in vanilla and on pserver just fine), it never works. The same with trying to interrupt a spell last second. I’ve auto-attacked rogues who just gouged or cheap shot me or even while sapped. I’ve auto-attacked mages who were in ice block…the list goes on and on. This effects all classes and while it may not be as noticeable in pve, its very obvious in pvp when anyone with “muscle memory” has to re-learn rotations to compensate for ‘laggy-feeling mechanics’ and spell batched timing.

The issues surrounding spell batching are the biggest detriment to the game right now.

SPELL BATCHING (in it’s current state) IS THE BIGGEST ISSUE in the game right now.

6 Likes

While what he says is true the problem is that the system they have in place right now is not working as it did in Vanilla… Some things are indeed working as they’re “special case” like 2 mages sheeping each other…

But there are numerous other cases where the batching is not working out because order of operations is just not observed in the build in the same way that it was in Vanilla.

2 Likes

Please fix this!

Well those things were possible in vanilla but due to the internet/server infastructure and better home hardware you see it alot more today.

Do they change the behaviour to be more like retail or do they keep it as it was. For the betterment of the game i think they should take a more retail approach but under the banner of #nochanges actually already being #somechanges.

1 Like

lmfao @ #nochanges. bro, there are so many changes its a completely different game now

1 Like

Oh i know - where do we draw the line. Fix the game entierly with every single bug? leave some bugs in game for historic value?

Build a better Classic?

We had a better classic. Private servers used the original game client. It worked just fine on modern computers. The private server devs actually did fix a lot of things that were obvious bugs and people weren’t crying about it, they appreciated it. Private servers were more stable, had less bugs and had less downtime than classic, and all the original add-ons from back in the day just worked. Period. The best thing about the original client is that spell batching didn’t exist and so abilities, spells and pet commands were instant. Bliz should have started with the original client and improved on it, rather than start with a future expansion and try to back peddle, but I think they lost the source code and had no choice. The more popular private servers shut down because of the hype about classic. They said they would be back if it wasn’t authentic. I’m counting the days. #privateserverlivesmatter

3 Likes

Even the private servers use spell batching, it’s just a much tighter window and it’s also not artificial.

The Modern WoW engine has a very tight batch cycle, heck it’s got multiple channels of spell batching all on very tight cycles…

modern wow’s engine is not with out some wonky BS tho, in the short time that I played it I noticed some things that felt really bad (server lag).

I HONESTLY don’t know what is the real deal with Classic, but I can tell ya what… It sure as heck does run worse than actual vanilla did back in 2004 if you ignore the server crashes, my server was down weekly…

I played for a single day on a private server (RL buddies account and characters) and I gotta tell ya it felt 100% Vanilla AS I REMEMBER IT…

There is one thing in life you cannot fool, and that’s muscle memory… You just kinda naturally do things in a certain way after you have trained your self…

I remember when TBC shipped I did a /played and I had a staggering 167 Days played… I was a WoW addict back then and that’s how I just know how busted hunters are… When I got on that private server I knew straight away that it was playing correctly (PVP)

It’s just one of those things you cannot fake, it’s either working properly or it’s not. The private servers do the PVP thing properly.

5 Likes

I don’t know what makes you think this. I tried leveling a hunter on retail and spell batching has completely broken beast master hunters. It takes 1-2 seconds for your pet to respond to any command… Literally… and even the hunter guides say it’s broken to the point where you have to create macros for every ability or your pet won’t attack things properly. I imagine spell batching in general is less noticeable in retail though since the game has been dumbed down for tablets.

Every online game game or game that has a server separate from the client has a form of batching.

What it is is simply a way for your client (the game you see) to talk back and forth with the server (the actual game itself)

The goal is to do this as effectively as possible. In vanilla this complete cycle time was 400ms.

In classic 2019, they say it’s 400, but in practice it feels like 1200 for certain things.

Vanilla also worked different, as a result even if they simply copy pasted the raw values from Vanilla to classic, it’s not likely to function as it did in actual Vanilla the system is very different.

They simply need to tighten the batch cycle to play like vanilla did.

Heck, at this point I would take an improvement over that simply to eliminate a plethora of problems.

There is another possible problem, and that is server lag in certain poorly coded spells and abilities.

That’s could be attributed to the translation of Vanilla spell tables into the modern WoW format.

That and it’s very unlikely they brought over any vanilla era big fixes to broken logic in the game architecture (regardless of the engine)

3 Likes

I hate spell batching probably as much or more than anyone in this thread.

[00:01:00.745] Delimicus casts Lay on Hands on Mulligan
[00:01:01.488] Mulligan dies from Firesworn 4’s Melee

This caused a chain reaction that led to us wiping because our Resto Druid (lol) Bear tank was tanking all the Garr adds. We lost all our world buffs and my parse ended up being 96% instead of 99%, QQ. Vanilla spell batching punishes quick reactions and good players.

However, I’ve seen absolutely no evidence that spell batching is not working correctly. To the contrary, I’ve seen plenty of video evidence and Blizzard’s own words showing that it’s working correctly.

If you feel the need to atone for advocating spell batching, don’t do so by claiming that it’s not working properly. Admit the Vanilla batching is stupid and apologize for EVER advocating such a system be used in Classic.

1 Like

It’s called TCP/IP or UDP. These are the two protocols available to talk back and forth with a server over the internet. “Spell batching” is just another way of saying “queue events before processing them”. AKA delay them. In reality, they shouldn’t be queued or delayed. They should be processed immediately in the order they are received.

Well at least Classic WoW’s batching sure as heck does; it’s crap… The fact that I can no longer FD trap reliable and am forced into Scatter shot is really annoying.

That’s where I disagree, I don’t think it’s even possible for it to work properly in Classic because in Classic it’s all handled server side where as in Vanilla some stuff was processed client side; this is something we learned about in TBC when a certain warrior got busted for hacking the most subtle thing possible that made such a large difference… (arena tournament) he was hacking his auto attack swing timer… You would think that’s nothing but with normalized 2.0 rage generation, that’s massive!

After that call to reality Blizzard changed how the client worked (a patch or 2 later) and moved everything server side.

Also consider that even though the batch cycle on the private servers is indeed faster the game plays virtually the same as we all remember vanilla (PVP) I could care less about PVE play, PVE is only there for gear to go PVP with.

2 Likes

Absolutely THIS. The backport was the first mistake. Everything else followed. Frankly, they should release a so-called “Reference Client” server and have done with it. Players would flock to it in droves.

1 Like