Spec Similar to old RSV?

Hi there, I’m an old player from WotLK days and have had such a hard time since the RSV rework to melee in Legion finding a fun, interesting spec that provides a similar run-and gun playstyle to old Ranged SV. I enjoyed the mobility a lot, and I also enjoyed the DoT oriented gameplay. MM seems much more bursty as-is, and BM seems much more simple (like my pets are doing too much of the damage when I want to be doing it). Is there another class that has anything similar to old RSV? What is a good replacement for the spec for an old die-hard fan of it?

Well, BM is currently the only ranged spec with complete freedom of movement.

2 Likes

Is there something with similar resets to the old Explosive Shot/Black Arrow mechanic?

I would say the closest is Affliction Warlock, it has a pet and dot gameplay, but it’s not very close. There is a necro RSV build out there but it has no ranged interrupt and it does like 60% as much damage as the meta SV build.

1 Like

yea unfortunately BM is the closest. luckily we will be able to play ranged SV again once classic wotlk comes out which should be around a year from now.

Closest is sadly MM + Lock and Load if you’re looking for that explosive shot/black arrow reset mechanic. Mobility is meh in MM but you get used to it since its just aimed shot that ties you down.

It really isn’t that similar and MM with RSV abilities is grossly bloated but maybe you can find some kind of enjoyment there until Blizzard gives up on MSV.

As others have said here, sadly, there is nothing that plays like old RSV did. While I will probably try WotLK once it comes out again(if), I would much prefer getting to play RSV for retail, getting to experience new content while playing what I consider to be the most fun playstyle there ever was.

#[Updated for Dragonflight] Munitions - If RSV was to return

Venthyr BM with Flayed Shot is very close to RSV

1 Like

A pet centric spec mostly focused on upfront damage and windows of increased burst, through DAs. Yeah, no, that’s not “very close” to old RSV. At all.

Gameplay wise it feels pretty close actually

1 Like

Again, how? Because both specs were be ranged, and had unlimited movement capabilities? Fair enough if you don’t want to look any deeper than this, but that’s the most superficial way you could determine variation, or a lack thereof, regarding gameplay. Like I’ve said before, if this is how you judge variancy, basically every single melee-spec fits within that argument.

1 Like

Agreed.

The closest spec that I can think of that mechanically fits old school RSV is Arms Warrior with Rend and Mortal Strike Resets/Colossal Smash windows.

But even that is a YUGE stretch.

Nothing fills the roll of RSV as it was very unique and amazingly fun.

You literally have a DoT resetting a cooldown

So unique

So original

Better make a 4th spec instead LOL

1 Like

Ah, so you base it all on the fact that it would include a reset mechanic on a CD, via a DoT…

One that is relying on you choosing a specific covenant btw(not actually part of the spec), which also happens to be a temporary system, most likely gone in a year or so.

1 Like

What about shadow priest with Dark Thoughts and Devouring Plague?