Spawn of Garalon

Why does this pet exist in it’s current form? Wouldn’t it have been better as a companion pet than an actual battle pet?

We like it as a battle pet, thanks.

3 Likes

Why though?

1 Like

What do you mean by “companion pet”? In my experience that tends to be the same thing as a battle pet…

1 Like

The Horde/Alliance Balloon for example. It follows you around, but cannot be used in combat.

Why would it be better as a non-combat companion?

There are 2 others with the same model - Kovok and Kunchong Hatchling. All 3 have different movesets and breeds. I don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t be able to battle. It’s not like they’re exact clones of each other (like all of the cockroaches, for example).

1 Like

I consider non-combatant pets to be a waste of space, frankly. The whole point of collecting pets is to be able to use them in pet battles. What is even the point of companion pets?

6 Likes

It’s likely for lore and immersion purposes. Non-living objects, such as balloons and kites, wouldn’t make much sense in a pet battle. Unless, of course, they’re enhanced with magic like a few inanimate-object battle pets. A few companions are seen as peaceful beings, so even though they’re not lifeless, it still wouldn’t be appropriate to shove them into a fight. And making children battle (Squires) is probably a no-no for Blizzard.

I also see it as a throw-back to before Pet Battles existed, when ALL pets were non-combat companions and they were just fun little friends that followed you around.

There’s a whole bunch of collectors who would argue otherwise. Battling, collecting, and/or both - to each their own.

2 Likes

Make Uuna (and orphans) a battle pet! I want to pit small children I have enslaved against a variety of twisted monstrosities in a battle to the death!

Strictly for role-playing reasons. Of course.

4 Likes

Like referring to these children as “pets” isn’t already wildly inappropriate.

That’s why I reserve “companion” for the non-combat variety. Calling them “pets” makes me uncomfortable haha. :sweat_smile:

My biggest gripe with Garalon is it’s massive health pool, and no way to utilize it. It’s also one of, if not the, weakest battle pet(s) in game. It definitely could’ve used a better move set.

Yeah and it sucks.

Every pet should have SOME kind of moveset. Even if none of them are offensive abilities.

There’s an inanimate stuffed animal with a moveset. There’s no reason balloons and kites and tiny naaru can’t have them as well.

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed that. While Elekk Plushie remains the pet with the largest health pool, once upon a time there was a four-way tie for second place, which included Scooter the Snail and Pebble.

Now it seems that Spawn of Garalon holds the second place slot. Evidently, it’s a meat shield. It has Shell Armor and can Burrow, both of which will mitigate the damage against them.

It seems to be a situational pet, except that I can’t imagine the situation in which it would be useful.

That pet battle in Legion where you just have to survive for 10 rounds to win?

1 Like

You’re referring to Rocko. Maybe. Maybe not. I’ve been told Elekk Plushie can solo the fight, but it’s never succeeded whenever I’ve tried it. Elekk Plushie has a massive health pool, but not quite big enough. (Perhaps Rocko got some crits out of the fight whenever I’ve attempted it with Elekk Plushie.)

Still, while Spawn of Garalon doesn’t have the health pool the size of Plushie, he does have better defenses, like Shell Armor and Burrow; it can avoid/mitigate a bit of the damage. I’ll have to try it some time.

1 Like

I think we can safely assume that anything from the Darkmoon Faire is infused with something, even the balloons.

Battle balloons could have some interesting possibilities. Obviously, they could Burst. They could have something like “Chase the String: Fly up into the air becoming unattackable, then your and your opponent’s fastest pets swap in”. Also, lots of weather-related effects like “Bad Day for a Party: The weather randomly changes to something other than Sunshine.” or “In the Air Tonight: The weather changes to Moonlight.”

I don’t want to battle with Uuna, but I would like to feed her 119 training stones so that she can flex.

2 Likes

@everyone in thread that insists all pets should have a moveset and be able to battle:
I won’t bother trying to convince anyone otherwise, because I just don’t care that much. To each their own. shrug

One thing I’ll say is that Blizzard’s never known to be consistent in their design choices. Who knows why some can battle and some can’t. Lore/immersion is just one possible reason why they’ve made non-combat companions.

If Spawn of Garalon seems like a “useless” pet due to its breed and moveset combo, perhaps instead of straight up neutering it, a better suggestion from the start would have been to change its breed or abilities.

2 Likes

The Spawn’s breed doesn’t bother me but rather the lack of abilities to reflect Spawn’s breed.

I’m curious as to what abilities you would consider appropriate. Though I admit I would like it more if the power and speed stats were reversed. It’s already a slow pet, so what’s the harm in making it hit a little harder?