So....the Runecarver made Lich King's helm and blade

Am I understanding this correctly?

seems to be the case

1 Like

He created the mourne blade and helm to rule the dead. Sounds like it.

1 Like

And from there Zooval gave them directly to the dreadlords or to Denathrius who then gave them to the dreadlords. From there the dreadlords presented them to Kiljaeden while omitting their true origins. Thus why the Legion believed that the dreadlords created the artifacts.

8 Likes

The perfect lore revision.

2 Likes

Yup and it doesn’t do anything to ruin the original depiction of said lore.

8 Likes

Seriously this is a retcon I’m on board with. The Scourge architecture feeling so alien because it comes from Maldraxxus is much more interesting than Ner’Zhul just culturally appropriating spider people.

Likewise Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination being forged in Hell is a lot more interesting than “Ehh some Dreadlords made it”.

18 Likes

I second that

2 Likes

I always thought the connection between demons and the undead was weird, especially since demons are more about harvesting souls/using them as fuel than reanimating them, but the Dreadlords being from Revendreth and their constant presence among the Scourge during the Third War… Yeah, this is the kind of lore reveal I’m all about.

2 Likes

I agree that the Frostmourne and Helm change is good, I actually really like them being from the Shadowlands, but strong disagree on the nerubian architecture. I liked how Azjol-Nerub was conquered so utterly and completely that even their buildings became just identified as “yup that’s Scourge architecture.”

1 Like

In the beta, there were like a book that suggests the dreadlords were actually the one who started the burning legion. Specifically they tricked sargeras into it.

If that’s still a thing, they just made the most previous enemies since warcraft RTS the second rated enemies. But hey we actually fight the big bad guys now. Well, until they need a new enemies on another expansion.

I love that in the WoW universe, attributes like “made in hell” and “made by demons” are somehow completely independent from one another.

:100:
I’ve always hated that demons were the ones behind the undead.

4 Likes

This is a rare example of WoW having a really good retcon, I will also agree. I never quite understood why the Lich King was thematically so unrelated to demonic powers unlike every other fel-powered nut, and this answers that problem.

3 Likes

It begs the question, then; why did he give it to Kj?

Why Azeroth in particular?

Azeroth is the First One’s secret. FO tech responds to Azeroth’s blood. The Lich King tells the Runecarver that they’ll discover the First One’s secrets.

The reason the Scourge was made as the Legion’s vanguard for the Third War was because of the failures of the past two wars led by the orcs - Kil’jaeden reasoned (correctly) that their failure was due to infighting (the Horde could have finished off the Alliance, but Gul’dan just had to go get his power from the Tomb of Sargeras…). So he envisioned an army led by one mind, grabbed Ner’zhul when he tried to escape the destruction of Draenor, bound Ner’zhul’s soul to the Lich King’s raiment, and the rest is history.

I’m totally fine with this retcon, it makes enough sense and doesn’t really change anything preexisting.

4 Likes

Actually not too uncommon. One of my favorite bits from D&D lore is that demons and devils are not only separate entities but are in fact in eternal war.

Devils are Lawful Evil whereas Demons are Chaotic Evil, and when evil lawmakers meet evil lawbreakers you get an eternal cosmic war brutal beyond mortal comprehension.

I’m actually hoping WoW moves this way, and it’s very interesting that their cosmic sphere of undeath magic is if not good at least neutral. I like this attitude as a fan of all things spooky and someone who never got what the big deal about necromancy was. Like my corpse is just going to be bug food anyway if you can make it spring up and go do dishes or w/e what’s the big deal?

I’m hoping that the Jailor’s forces become the Lawful Evil sphere in Azeroth’s orbit. We already know they’re open to bargaining so the options there. And anyone who’s dealt with litigious people can tell you someone with an army of lawyers is far more bone chilling than a group of lawless brigands come to break and burn ish.

2 Likes

I more had issues with these retcons on a meta level, not an in universe ones. The revelation that Maldraxxus/the Jailer were behind the Scourge all along was fine on a lore level, it gives them more importance in death rather than offshoots of demons/old god minions. But on a meta level, it reduced the uniqueness and importance of the nerubians and dreadlords massively, two iconic WC3 units.

Luckily, they solved this for Dreadlords, at least. The infiltration book gives them an importance not just on the level they used to have, but far above it, and adds intrigue to both their future actions and their ones dating back to WC3. Sadly, this wasn’t the case for the nerubians, which makes me sad, but dreadlords were the more important of the two so I am pleased enough.

1 Like

:100: :100: :100: