"Some other metrics" - Q&A feedback

Via the Wowhead liveblog of the Q&A:

You’ve said Fun is the ultimate metric that drives the game forward. How do you measure fun?

If you listen to the Activision Earning Call and you hear MAUs, that’s Investor speak and not what the developers use. All they want to do is as engaging as possible. If there’s something that is over rewarding or has a risk/reward ratio that is out of wack, then they see participation rewards (e.g. The Mechanar Problem: In BC, it was the fastest, easiest dungeon).

Some other metrics are:

* How frequently do you log in?

* How long do you log in for?

* What activities do people do?

I think this needs to be said. The “other metrics” listed here are not all that different from the MAU measurement philosophy, and worse, they’re still bad metrics.

Let me explain:

How frequently do you log in?
This metric is a problem because WoW is designed to encourage people to log in even if they’re not having fun, in order to stay “current” or to not miss out on chances at things they’re interested in obtaining. Examples: PVP/M+ chests, Darkmoon Faire profession bonuses, emissary completion bonuses that disappear every 3 days, and the weekly Island Expedition AP bonuses.

People do lots of these things, not always because they’re fun, but also because they lead to rewards they want or feel obligated to pursue. It’s all about the carrot and nothing about the stick.

How long do you log in for?
This metric is also a problem because, again, it doesn’t take into consideration how much fun you are having. Back when I actually played this game, I would log in daily, do stuff for AP, set up my mission table, down world bosses for loot chances, do stuff for emissary chests, and then go, “okay, time to do it on my alt.”
After that was done, I would sit back and go, “finally, now I can play the game for fun.” At this point I’ve played for 45-60 minutes already, and all I’ve done are chores.

What activities do people do?
Again, this is a problem, because it ignores that some people are only participating in content for the rewards, and not because they find the base content entertaining.

For example, Warfronts and Island Expeditions are not entertaining game modes, but when I was playing, I still did them, because they provided me with substantial character stat bonuses that I felt obligated to pursue.

As another example, during BFA S1 I arena’d and RBG’d my mug off so I could get the S1 PVP mounts (thought the hippo was cool) and the “Veteran of the Horde” title. But most of that was a frustrating, not-fun experience. My main focus was doing just enough of the content so I could get the rewards I wanted. It was all about the carrot, and nothing about the stick. I stopped as soon as I got what I wanted.

This is the problem with all the metrics you mentioned. Some (possibly many) people are consuming your content just so they can say, “whew, thank God I never have to do that again!” And by looking at simple factors like how long they are playing and what they are doing, you are getting a distorted view that these are successful gameplay modes and features, when in actuality they are just frustrating obstacles between the players and what the players want.

TLDR you need better metrics. Don’t focus on what people are doing. Focus on what people do after they fulfill their progression content requirements.

Do people do more than the “required” Island Expeditions after they get the AP bump? What about after they collect a majority of the toys?

Do people continue to do Warfronts after the gear is irrelevant or they have collected all the transmogs? Or do they stop?

When players hit approach the ivl cap for the patch, do they continue to push M+ keys, or do they stop?

Make metrics meaningful again.

Thanks.

32 Likes

I would argue the metrics you suggest are more worthless than the ones originally listed.

3 Likes

That’s fine. What would you recommend?

2 Likes

Yes, this was them just telling you they don’t actually care.

They’ll tell you to your face it’s how much fun you’re having but then actually define their meaning of fun as their MAUs.

Not sure how much plainer they can tell you they don’t care.

20 Likes

I think the over all metrics cover more people. And its definitely important to know how often people log in, how long they are engaged, and what activities people are participating in.

If people aren’t participating in IEs to even get their weekly cap, pets, toys, etc. That is a much bigger issue (to me) than people stopping participating in IEs after getting all the toys/mounts/etc.

At some point, you are expected to finish things. When you finish things, its expected you are going to do those things less. If something is so boring people don’t even want to finish it, that is a much much bigger issue.

On one hand…aren’t MAUs…how often you log in…how long you are logged in…isn’t that all directly tied to “fun”? If you aren’t having fun, won’t you log in less…stay logged in for less time?

unless, you know, they removed fast travel portals so you have to fly to the fun content you want to do, thereby inflating these fun MAUs…

12 Likes

Specifically…how does taking an extra minute lets say (for the sake of argument), inflate MAUs?

While I disagree with the portals being removed as they were, I think they should have just shifted the same exact portals to Org/SW…I don’t see how this actually increases MAUs.

Are you saying that if it takes a person an extra minute or two to fly somewhere, it means they will log into WoW during a month they normally wouldn’t have?

1 Like

Problem is, nothing they do will do what every single person wants, so there will always be disagreements and delusional arguments.

Wotlk was fresh off the heels of TBC, had immense advertising and it was just ‘‘new’’ to the market.

WoW is old now, the idea is old, and we have a team that frankly doesn’t do things that works for the louder people on the internet.

It’s ok. But what matters is that they notice the faults in their own design to say, ‘‘hey, we screwed up here, maybe we can actually listen to X amount all saying they don’t like how this is or that is’’.

It’s not the same team that did TBC, they all have egos and personalities and give their own ideas.

Just a matter of realizing that if the lead designer doesn’t learn from the missteps instead of learning from it to better the team then you know something needs to change immediately.

In the Q&A today Ion recommended we should look less at MAUs and gave three “other” metrics as an example of things that could be measured to determine game success. One of the metrics he listed is literally time /played.

If that’s what they’re using to measure success, making things take longer could be interpreted by the dev team as a more successful engagement with the product.

So even if portal removal doesn’t inflate MAUs, it inflates the other metrics they’re looking at.

8 Likes

There really isn’t one single metric to measure the health of the game/player engagement. To get the most accurate picture it’s necessary to use a variety of “metrics” to form a more cohesive picture of engagement with the game.

To see the entire elephant you need to look at it from different angles.

3 Likes

I was responding to the person that literally stated it would inflate MAUs. So that is the only reason I mentioned MAUs. Because someone else stated it would inflate them.

Why they’d be doing the content just for the enjoyment of it rather than to be rewarded. If warfronts and islands gave you nothing would anyone do them

4 Likes

Bleh, this wording. I realize this is a minor nitpick, but we as a collective really ought to step away from the ‘Make [x] [y] again’ phrasing.

It’s so overused by now that I feel like it only dilutes an otherwise potentially good point.

“Find better metrics.”
“Metrics should be meaningful.”
“Meaningful metrics are important.”

I’ll shut up now.

3 Likes

There is no way to measure “fun”.
There cannot be a “fun” metric because it is too subjective. It can’t be measured.

Fun: Amusement or enjoyment. How do you measure that?
How do you tell if someone is actually having fun or just doing content to keep from “falling behind” (or any other sense of “I have to do this”)? There is no way the devs can tell.

Time logged in, number of times per week logged in, and similar things just measure player activity, not whether that activity is fun or not.

You cannot measure fun, so claiming that is a metric they can measure is a false claim.

3 Likes

In WoW’s history, people very rarely ever did any content “just for the enjoyment”.

These are inferior metrics. No way can you get a comprehensive data set out of this small slice of gameplay.

I think you’re out over your skiis on this whole post, OP. Very little of what you wrote makes sense regarding real data driven analysis.

By all means, please enlighten us on the metrics you would use.

Actually I used to play the game just for the enjoyment. I do not enjoy the game now, with the changes that have happened to it. I did enjoy the game when it had the BC-Mop era core play. Now I have unsubbed. I play games for enjoyment, otherwise why play them at all?

4 Likes

I think they should just ask the playerbase if we are having fun, instead of relying on giant heaps of data and metrics.

Asking is easier, and will probably answer a lot of questions they have.

1 Like

Part of that particular conversation if I’m reading things correctly (I tend to read the summation rather than listen to everything) is that we spend way too much time on the investor call stuff.

That’s not what they use in their discussions on how to make things interesting for us. So we’re in the weeds every time we drag the discussion down that road.

The whole “what’s fun” is a far better thing to talk about. Talk about what’s fun for you.

2 Likes