**SOLUTION** To Problem Of Battle.net App Getting Stuck At 45%

Just had this issue installing on my M1 Max MBP and your solution worked perfectly! Thanks. Oddly enough no issues on my Mac Studio yesterday. Odd that the common thread is the MBP with the problem.

More inclined to believe it’s just fresh installs vs migrated ones.
The work around almost simulates a migrated one by purposely using older version.

I never have issues on my MBP, but i haven’t clean installed in 3 macs now. I always migrate.

The thing is, it should work outside the directory. I’ve placed it in dozens of other directories and tried to install from HPFS+ drives. Nothing seems to work unless the app is placed inside that folder and run with that specific argument. And it’s not permission creep either. I run it as sudo - still won’t work unless it’s in that particular folder. It’s really odd.

It also doesn’t require an older version. The original work-around I came up with did. But using a current version of Battle.net-Setup.app from Battle.net also pulls the files/installs correctly.

If you look in the log files, absent of the particular switch, there is an error thrown about read-only file system.

I actually think it’s how they’re running the app in Rosetta IMO they’re running it in /var or something to unpack.

I don’t know a lot about how Rosetta works and emulates or whatever it actually does to run x86_64 code on ARM but that seems to be the actual problem (because that’s way above of my pay grade)

1 Like

Yea mine is a fresh install and the directory thing is bugging out on my end. Not able to install still.

Just add me on Bnet and I’ll walk you through it.

Sarcasmic#11208

This worked thank you!

This worked for me as well, thank you so much <3

I managed to install Battle(dot)net and I still can’t install WOW, game keeps installing infinitely T-T

Try doing scan/repair.
Restarting the Battle.net agent executables in activity monitor
also add battle.net/agent to macOS firewall (or turn it off either way)

Alternatively you can add me to Battle.net and I’ll try to help you.

Battelnet and Wow installer Agent hangs at 45 percent. Tried on three different versions of macOS. 12, 13 and 14 macOS with same results. No firewall or VPN present. Files completely deleted including any files mentioning Blizzard or Battlenet and any installations of Blizzard games, ie, WOW, Diablo, etc… Same results. What’s going on Blizzard? Are you dropping macOS support? Good thing I didn’t purchase the new expansion. I’ll give you guys another week before I cancel my Blizzard subscription for good.

Still having issues when downloading where it gets stuck in the 80% when initializing which appears to be a separate issue after getting installed. Adding permissions hasn’t fixed this either. M1 Pro w/ latest Sonoma.

Thank you it worked :slight_smile:

What’s ironic. I never have issues with bnet on macOS, but windows bnet in wine got stuck and hosed at 45% updating Diablo 4. sadly I could not find a good fix for it besides disabling entirety of system integrity protection because I can’t really move that to a diff folder where it would inherit permissions it needed for file access.

so whatever they broke they actually broke it windows side too, well windows side running on macOS cause that always worked too til recent update.

Are you using wine or wine-staging?

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH WINDOWS-Try this, it worked for me. Delete all of your blizzard and Battlenet folders in the Program 86 folder. You have to delete the Program Data folders as well. That folder is hidden in C drive, so go into the control panel and select (show all hidden folders). Once there at C/programdata , delete both Blizzard and Battle net folders. Then run the new exe install you downloaded from battlenet , and it should work. I Hope this helps!

just an observation, Blizzard suggests that you disable your firewall… so has anyone thought of doing that before they attempt the download… Plus having the VPN active will hinder your download.

The macOS firewall is generally pretty permissive. I do tell people that on Battle.net when they add me. Although you can just drag/drop the apps into the firewall context menu and it’ll let those apps pass through.

1 Like

I’ve never actually see macOS firewall cause issues. it lets any developer signed app through it automatically. one of it’s default options is automatic approval for known developers.

While, battle.net is bordering on malware with how much of a mess it is, it’s still signed by a known developer so it’s issues are generally it’s own, not cause apple didn’t allow it through firewall.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant by “generally permissive” lol. I have helped around 3 dozen people now with this installer issue over Battle.net and I’ve actually seen 1 or 2 where adding it to the firewall or turning off the firewall made a difference. I don’t know why tbh because like you said …signed developer.

Really inexplicable solution here:

1. Attempt Battle.net installation on m1 Mac OS, then quit out completely
  2. Install Crossover, they have a demo for free
  3. Install World of Warcraft in Crossover (it’s pc version but it works, you can delete it later)
  4. Retry battle.net in m1 Mac OS (without Crossover)

I have zero idea why this worked, but the battle.net was hanging at 45% and then it installed but then the wow installer was hanging on “Update…” and then I exited it and installed Wow via Crossover and booyah, it just downloaded in m1 Mac land too. Like it just needed to get something network related working