Soloing Old Instances Still Viable?

During the Legion expansion (which I didn’t own), I used to solo farm old instances up through MoP dungeons (one expansion back) and Cata raids (two expansions back) easily enough on Level 100 characters.

With universal instance scaling implemented and another stat squish (I think), is that kind of instance farming still viable for a solo player in the current game? That is, would a Level 110 (Legion max) character be able to farm WoD heroic dungeons and MoP raids easily enough?

When they did the most recent stat squish, they redid the bonus numbers when doing older content, so some of the earlier stuff needs a higher level character than you needed prior to BfA. BC, Wrath, and Cata were the hardest hit by this. They will still be quite easy at 110, but you won’t be soloing Black Temple at level 80 anymore. (Most of BC is doable by 90, with a few sketchy fights.)

You can probably do a fair amount of WoD content at 110. (At 110, you get a x30 damage multiplier in WoD content, which should let you clear some of the raid stuff.) All the dungeon difficulties for WoD are pretty trivial at 110. I’ve done WoD LFR easily on a 110, and higher difficulties should doable with some Legion gear. The main downside you’ll have at 110 in WoD is that you have to 111 to trigger “Legacy Loot” which works close to old non-personal raid loot. At 110 you’ll be stuck with personal loot. (You have to 11 levels past an expansion to trigger legacy loot.)

1 Like

Oh, wow. I didn’t even know about that legacy loot system. Getting personal loot only in older raids would definitely make farming them for transmog take a whole lot longer.

If you’re farming for reputation in old instances (ex., Molten Front or BC heroics), does outleveling them by a good bit now hurt the rep gains? I think I read a complaint somewhere about that since BfA came out.

I’m not aware of any changes to rep farming. I did heroic Botanica and Mech yesterday on a level 90 and got both full Sha’tar rep and full rep for Org (from wearing the Org tabard.) Classic dungeons give nerfed city tabard XP once the mobs go grey, but they always have.

1 Like

Are heroic Legion raids easier on L120?

I just want the achievements. I got all transmogs that I love from the Draenor expansion.

Thank you!

Legion raids are easier at 120, but you’ll still generally need a few people to clear them.

If you meant WoD heroic raids, they’ll be easier at 120 than 110, but are probably doable at 110 just fine. I was running heroic Hellfire Citadel pretty regularly for transmog on a 116 druid, which with how gear scaling works while leveling 110-120, really won’t be much more powerful than a 110. (And is some ways is worse off, as 116 is when Legion legendaries stop working.)

@Usiza: How many players do I need?

In Legion I was able to do WoD heroic with 4 people.

I haven’t messed around with any Legion raids in BfA, so I don’t know.

Legion Heroic raids should be clearable by a group of 2-3 level 120 characters.

WoD raids, with the exception of a couple of the fights in HFC which require more than one player to clear, all of the raid should be soloable at 120.

While I haven’t had a chance to check myself, reports are that 8.2 changed the first fight in HFC to make it much more reasonably soloable. (Although normal and heroic were always doable with classes with decent movement.)

I solo’d all the WoD dungeons at 110 and a couple of the 10 man raids on a BM hunter with a lower ilevel than what you have.
The only fight that gave me trouble was the first boss in heroic Hellfire. The fight ran around all over the place and it took a few wipes to develop a plan for it.

I remember there being a Legion quest for Mining that sends people into HFC for something, and it was supposed to have been super easy at 110 even on heroic. That’s been before stat squishes and all that, but in theory the place should still be soloable by 120 in case anyone wants to do that quest (they’ve been known to overlook things like that when making changes). Dungeons were cake though, I finally did all of those garrison dungeon quests and had no trouble whatsoever, even the bits of Highmaul and BFR I sampled would have been doable, but again, no adjustments had been made yet.

I believe Gorefiend still bugs out if there’s only one person present though, unless that one person can burst him down in under 5s (before he sucks people into his stomach).

The first fight is still a bit difficult to solo, even with the nerfs, though.

I had to go and check. I was able to to do the first fight on Mythic without any issues. (Both cannons were still at 90% when the fight was over.) They made a change a bit ago so the cannons took less damage, but clearing mythic was still pretty RNG reliant. 8.2 increased the damage that your cannons do. I only had to run a half dozen ammo crates to the cannons before the fight was over today instead of the 80-billion you needed on Mythic before 8.2.

For Gorefiend, at least on normal and heroic (haven’t done Mythic before) he doesn’t to the suck down thing with only one player. He’s been easier with 1 player than two for a while because of that.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I’ve only tried soloing it on Mythic, and not since they made the changes.

I’ll have to go see if I can do it on my Paladin now.

Related to this, yesterday I and one other person from my guild 2-manned about half of Antorus and all of Tomb of Sargeras on Heroic (we only did half of Antorus because we realized that the boss he needed to kill was Kil’jaeden).

He was 415 Guardian Druid, I was 423 BM Hunter. Antorus was a bit of a slog, but doable. Tomb was pretty much no contest (I think the longest we spent on any given boss was about 2 minutes).

If the scaling for earlier raids holds consistent with that experience, it should be no issue to roll through HFC on any difficulty with just yourself.

2 Likes